Did Carnival start the Glory drydock too early?

LMaxwell

I avoid pre and post cruise dry docks to avoid issues, but it seems like Carnival, and other cruise lines, are getting a bit ahead of themselves with drydock work during cruises with paying guests. Staging refurb equipment is one thing, but this photo was posted today of the Glory and, frankly, that's a demo construction site. The poster on social media said there is loud noise constantly as well. Others have said it was this way last week on the Glory too.

I don't really care what cruise line, I'd highlight any that did this. I just think it is wrong and that paying guests aren't getting the tranquil vacation they paid for. If Carnival, or any other cruise line, needs to go to this length for a drydock, they should not be having revenue cruises and schedule more time in drydock.

Would you be okay paying for vacation and dealing with this?

16807022_10158119389095391_9106392253355190788_n.jpg?oh=84e327f2d499a0dbf55b6dd4a13c955c&oe=5943C95D

No I would not. Especially if I had kids. Being Spring Break is just weeks away and reports say they will still be installing Waterworks when it comes out of dry dock, I would be highly upset if I paid all that money to take my family on vacation, and there were no slides for them to go on. Guess there wouldn't be a lot I could do this late in the game, but I think it's very unfortunate. Fingers crossed they get it done quickly.

No I would not. Especially if I had kids. Being Spring Break is just weeks away and reports say they will still be installing Waterworks when it comes out of dry dock, I would be highly upset if I paid all that money to take my family on vacation, and there were no slides for them to go on. Guess there wouldn't be a lot I could do this late in the game, but I think it's very unfortunate. Fingers crossed they get it done quickly.

Cruise lines nowadays schedule dry dock for the bare minimum time period it seems to get mechanical checks and upgrades done and are happy to charge guests regular rates knowing they can't deliver the product as advertised when it comes to features and amenities. To me it is more than a lack of a slide or water park, it's the feeling of vacationing in a construction zone with noise, ugly tarps, etc. Just not what I work and pay hard earned money for. Paying guests deserve better no matter the shape of the funnel or logo on the side.

Unfortunately this reinforces my view of

No New Ships for 6 Months

No ships out of drydock for at least 1 month

No ships before drydock for at least 2 weeks (may have to reconsider this to extend to 1 month)

Cruise lines nowadays schedule dry dock for the bare minimum time period it seems to get mechanical checks and upgrades done and are happy to charge guests regular rates knowing they can't deliver the product as advertised when it comes to features and amenities. To me it is more than a lack of a slide or water park, it's the feeling of vacationing in a construction zone with noise, ugly tarps, etc. Just not what I work and pay hard earned money for. Paying guests deserve better no matter the shape of the funnel or logo on the side.

Unfortunately this reinforces my view of

No New Ships for 6 Months

No ships out of drydock for at least 1 month

No ships before drydock for at least 2 weeks (may have to reconsider this to extend to 1 month)

Oh no doubt I would be highly perturbed if I found myself in the middle of that. I'm just saying that my personal disappointment would be easier for me to deal with than if my kids went and were expecting a waterslide only to find one small pool available to them and like half the deck blocked off. It's one thing for me as an adult to be upset, it's another to see your kids highly disappointed.

I don't think it's right for them to do that to people and expect them to pay full price. Now if they wanted to offer the affected cruises as highly discounted, "under construction" cruises, then I may just have to jump on that as a solo cruiser. I'm always looking for a bargain ;)! I agree with your previous schedule and think 1 month post dry dock should be a good timeframe.

We just came off the Glory last Sat. and yes this work was going on. For us in our 60's this wasn't a problem but I do see how it could effect the younger cruiser. As a side note this was the best cruise we have taken and this was out 16th. We cruise on both RCI and Carnival. It just seamed everything was a step up from our passed experiences. I'm thinking it takes a little longer than two weeks to complete the new water works features and this is why the early start to the work.

I would NOT be happy about that. Even for our hotel stays I call and make sure there is NO construction planned during our visit. I do NOT want to hear power tools and such while on vacation:eek: I would think they'd offer some obc to compensate the passengers.

I would be very upset to pay for a cruise and then encounter construction like this. I am going on the Breeze in a few weeks two weeks before dry dock. I am hoping we don't encounter pre dry doc work. Unfortunately we did not have flexability in the dates for this particular cruise.

That sure does even over the top. That said, land properties do this kind of thing all the time. IF this will be come a practice they certainly should notify their clients in advance and be priced accordingly. I won't waste the time of searching for it, when is the Glory scheduled for dry dock?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is there an easy way to find out the drydock schedule?

That sure does even over the top. That said, land properties do this kind of thing all the time. IF this will be come a practice they certainly should notify their clients in advance and be priced accordingly. I won't waste the time of searching for it, when is the Glory scheduled for dry dock?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

http://www.embarkandaway.com/carnival-drydock-schedule.html

Glory scheduled to start this week.

As I said, receiving and staging materials is one thing, sometimes you may see an extra cargo bin or rolls of carpeting on deck, but shutdown of features and amenities, and noisy construction going on should not be the norm. I understand that a ship that's not sailing doesn't generate revenue, but this has the whiff of contempt for the client.

Honestly, I would be furious if I went on a cruise and it was a construction zone. I work very hard and pay a lot of money for a vacation. To deal with large sections of a ship being shut down and hearing construction noise consistently while I am trying to relax would infuriate me. However, if, as another poster stated, they made the facts well known to people ahead of time and offered a price break or some other offer, that is a different story entirely. But, to sell a ship with all of its amenities as a vacation and to walk into what that picture looks like? No thank you!

Honestly, I would be furious if I went on a cruise and it was a construction zone. I work very hard and pay a lot of money for a vacation. To deal with large sections of a ship being shut down and hearing construction noise consistently while I am trying to relax would infuriate me. However, if, as another poster stated, they made the facts well known to people ahead of time and offered a price break or some other offer, that is a different story entirely. But, to sell a ship with all of its amenities as a vacation and to walk into what that picture looks like? No thank you!

No excuse for this. Many people booked long before drydock dates were announced or planned. At least most hotels put a banner at the top while you finish your reservation that there will be construction on the property, or a pool will be down. Had I walked into that, I would have invoked the vacation guarantee. I am currently on the 3/11 cruise, and have a room literally right behind this photo. If there is still major construction going on, I will invoke the guarantee - count my losses, and learn from the experience.

http://www.embarkandaway.com/carnival-drydock-schedule.html

Glory scheduled to start this week.

As I said, receiving and staging materials is one thing, sometimes you may see an extra cargo bin or rolls of carpeting on deck, but shutdown of features and amenities, and noisy construction going on should not be the norm. I understand that a ship that's not sailing doesn't generate revenue, but this has the whiff of contempt for the client.

Can't argue with any of this.

Sent from my iPhone