Question about Chair hogs.

es0

I put my towels and drink on one chair, my books on another and sit in the middle chair...CHAIR HOG! (kidding)

i seriously do wonder though. i you just have a towel, how in the world do you know which IS your chair. i guess this necessitates you bringing a personal item to claim your chair?

I just go to my local Salvation Army store...Pick up some sunglasses, flip flops, paperbacks and a cloth bags for a couple of bucks. I call this my Chair Hogging Kit. If they get picked up...No big loss

Just kidding [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums

i seriously do wonder though. i you just have a towel, how in the world do you know which IS your chair. i guess this necessitates you bringing a personal item to claim your chair?

Chair hogging is a well crafted art and a well seasoned chair hog knows exactly what lounger (s) they marked as theirs. ;)

Chair hogging is a well crafted art and a well seasoned chair hog knows exactly what lounger (s) they marked as theirs. ;)

id fail at this. id worry someone would steal my fake poop i left on the chair while i went to play in a chess tournament.

i guess my friend could leave her cane there, who would touch a blind persons cane;)

Marking their territory??!! Sooooo....they can smell it out to find it (when they have too many

adult beverages at the pool)? :'):eek::p

Our most recent (November) cruise on Allure I found the deck attendants more diligent at removing stuff. We commended our attendant one day and he acknowledged they have been told to be more attune to people dropping their stuff and then not coming back for hours.

We just got off the Anthem 2 days ago and noticed that the pool attendants were vigorously monitoring lounge chairs in the Solarium. We saw her place some kind of marker on three chairs in a row, then come back some time later, check the marker, and remove the items. We gave her applause and a thumbs up! By the time we left several hours later, the original savers of the chairs still had not returned. Would have loved to have stayed to see their reactions! A day or so later we also saw a pool attendant walking through the Solarium with an arm full of items, not just towels.

We just got off the Anthem 2 days ago and noticed that the pool attendants were vigorously monitoring lounge chairs in the Solarium. We saw her place some kind of marker on three chairs in a row, then come back some time later, check the marker, and remove the items. We gave her applause and a thumbs up! By the time we left several hours later, the original savers of the chairs still had not returned. Would have loved to have stayed to see their reactions! A day or so later we also saw a pool attendant walking through the Solarium with an arm full of items, not just towels.

(y)(y):D:D

Wish they did that on all ships. On Serenade last month, during the seas days, ship was really infested with chair hogs. There was no enforcement to curb their piggish behavior at all. :mad:

• 4 weeks later...

I had a unique chair hog experience on Harmony last week that may be worthy of sharing. 4 of us located chairs at the adult sports pool (2 chair sets in different rows). The couple next to us asked me to watch their belongings while they had lunch at the nightmare known as the Windjammer for an hour or so. After this couple returned it began to rain hard. Everyone grabbed their belongings and cleared out of the area. We hung out nearby, waited out the storm which lasted about 10 minutes. I grabbed some dry towels and then placed the towels on 4 chairs in a row. My friends were with me and watched the chairs while I ran to the bathroom. During the 2 minutes I was gone the other couple returned and demanded their original chairs back that they completed vacated for 20 minutes. My friend did not want to deal with the conflict and allowed them to have their chairs back. While this was happening all the other chairs were being occupied - including the chairs we had sat in previously. We were now forced to spend 20 minutes trying to locate 4 new chairs at the crowded family pool.

I found this to be unacceptable. Anyone have a similar experience or comments on how to deal with this??

My friend and his wife are not frequent cruisers and have never dealt with this before. This did not sit well with them (or me). Thanks

They were monitoring them on Freedom as well. I got up to the pool deck around 730am and there were already loungers claimed for days.(With just towels). In the row behind me never saw anyone come until maybe around 9:30am ish it was a gentleman looking for a chair. We told him to just take the one behind us since it'd been two hours. Finally its "owner" did show up and was livid someone had taken her "spot"

She was told nicely to move on by a few people around that area.

So, we are to believe that when somebody intentionally leaves their "things" on a chair and stays away for who knows how long that we should not "mess" with them? Legally, I am sure that is correct but everybody KNOWS the reason they leave "their things" because they are hoping nobody will "mess" with them.

As to going on a cruise in some sort of "offensive mode looking for trouble" I AGREE: nobody should be going out and being very "offensive" by "reserving" chairs which is clearly "against the rules" of the ship. Talk about being offensive, rude, low-class, and yes, lazy.

LOL!! Good one! :p

Actually, though not digital, I have read on these boards that some pool attendants, (can't remember which ship) were tossing notes with the time of day on those unused loungers. At 30 minutes, if the notes were still there untouched, they would come back through and pick up the items, tossing the towels and putting the "stuff" behind the counter in open cubby holes for pickup. ;)

Seeing that RCCL is now charging for room service. Maybe having a digital meter might be new a income stream. ... Go to a "free" chair and swipe your SeaPass card at the meter. You are then charged $1USD for a 3 hour lounge period.

How many chairs on the average ship? Will people be willing to pay for a chair they are not sitting in?

Or do like the shopping carts in some malls - go to the chair dispensor and put in a token (or swipe your card). You get charged $1 USD for the chair, the chair is released and you can use it all day if you want. Afterward, you bring the chair back. there is an RFID chip in the chair. so when it is returned to the dispensary, you get your dollar back. If you do not return the chair, you get billed for another day, etc.

I can see it now..."I finished the cruise in October. It's now January and RCCL has been charging me $1 a day for the past three months!"

Just got off the Allure on Sunday and the chair hogs were worse than ever. By 7:30 AM on sea days there were towels on all poolside chairs and most "second tier" areas. Didn't see anyone monitoring them. Rarely saw an open chair in a decent location (by that I mean anywhere in reasonable proximity to a pool and not under some stairs somewhere). People kept them most of the day. It promotes an atmosphere where if you want to sit by the pool, you have to stoop to doing what everyone else does.

Seeing that RCCL is now charging for room service. Maybe having a digital meter might be new a income stream. ... Go to a "free" chair and swipe your SeaPass card at the meter. You are then charged $1USD for a 3 hour lounge period.

How many chairs on the average ship? Will people be willing to pay for a chair they are not sitting in?

Or do like the shopping carts in some malls - go to the chair dispensor and put in a token (or swipe your card). You get charged $1 USD for the chair, the chair is released and you can use it all day if you want. Afterward, you bring the chair back. there is an RFID chip in the chair. so when it is returned to the dispensary, you get your dollar back. If you do not return the chair, you get billed for another day, etc.

I can see it now..."I finished the cruise in October. It's now January and RCCL has been charging me $1 a day for the past three months!"

LOL!! :') Good post. Yeah, I agree. There is so much nickel and dime stuff going on now. For example, look at what the airlines are doing now also. :(

For me....I have a free lounger/chair reserved just for me during the entire cruise, which is the only one use, and never have to do battle with the hogs. ;)

On my last cruise on the Oasis last month I saw a couple carrying a lounge chair down the stairwell. They must have been taking it to their cabin balcony. This is taking "Chair Hog" to a completely new level. I would hope the cabin staff would report this to their management.

Ohh my gawd, that is brilliant:evilsmile: I am totally going to do that. I wonder how many I could fit on the balcony before they would say something? Like hoarding at sea? :')

I put my towels and drink on one chair, my books on another and sit in the middle chair...CHAIR HOG! (kidding)

ohh come on how, that is minor league hogging. You gotta do a chair for book, sunscreen, towels, shoes (each shoe gets it own chair). You can be more creative and bring one of those fake baby dolls,

I know this was a serious post and it's nice for the serious answers but this was hilarious reading! LOVE the post about someone carrying a chair down the stairs to their room. Wow! LOL

I don't spend much time in the pool but I do like a 30-60 siesta with a good book and cocktail once in a while. it amazes me how many chairs are unoccupied, yet strewn with towels, books, flip flops, sun cream etc. I like the idea of an attendant putting a marker or similar on a chair and then removing items if necessary.

Btw, I also think that by putting issues like this to Royal on Twitter or Facebook would make them take a little more notice.

Btw again, what are my chances of a nice siesta on Oasis in September 😀

Surely, in this day of digital technology, we cannot find a solution to this?

I recommend chairs with a built in parking meter!

Go to the chair, swipe your card and get a ticket. Maximum time alotted (is 3 hours reasonable for getting sun and a snooze?). Ticket has your name, Chair #, Time in and Time Out. Once the meter runs out, you have the option to swipe again, or leave so others can enjoy a pre-warmed chair.

The direction I DO NOT want to go is having the chair serial numbered and networked wirelessly where you have to use you Cruise Planner to reserve your chair 90 days before sailing!

While the above is obviously not serious, it is worth noting that some competing cruise lines do have special sundecks that are pay-to-use (or pay-per-day) and, therefore, almost never crowded. On MSC, the pay-per-day sundeck is called "Top 18" and the daily charge entitles the user to one days exclusive use of a specific sunbed. (This is separate from the private sundeck that is reserved for MSC's elite Yacht Club customers.) On Princess, a similar place is called "The Sanctuary". Pay-per-day sundecks are one more source of revenue for the cruise line so I am surprised that Royal Caribbean does not have them (yet).

And this probably why they are charging $25 if you don't return you towel back by the pool area daily. I guess they are trying to cut the daily chair hoggers that never return. Once those towels are picked up, they have no idea who they belonged to, so who ever didn't physically return the towel and didn't get their sea pass scanned for the return, get charged $25 for the towel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My favorite chair hogs were the people who put 1 kids book on each lounger in the first row by the pool. We waited over an hour them my husband took 2 books and placed them on another chair ( one already holding a book) . About an hour LATER two adults show up and look at us and start cursing and screaming at us in 2 languages! Told us we were in their chairs and where would their family sit?! Then grandma comes and starts screaming at us. By this time my husband is ready to lose it. Mind you by the time the first two show up it's around 2 hours from when we first showed up. The kids come later and the family continues to curse at us!! I just told them what good parents they were for teaching their children how to act in public! And yes it was a sea day and yes it was crowded. We spent quite a while searching before removing their books.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

My favorite chair hogs were the people who put 1 kids book on each lounger in the first row by the pool. We waited over an hour them my husband took 2 books and placed them on another chair ( one already holding a book) . About an hour LATER two adults show up and look at us and start cursing and screaming at us in 2 languages! Told us we were in their chairs and where would their family sit?! Then grandma comes and starts screaming at us. By this time my husband is ready to lose it. Mind you by the time the first two show up it's around 2 hours from when we first showed up. The kids come later and the family continues to curse at us!! I just told them what good parents they were for teaching their children how to act in public! And yes it was a sea day and yes it was crowded. We spent quite a while searching before removing their books.

Good for You!! Too bad more people don't do this themselves. An hour with towels, etc. holding a lounger is long enough to wait before removing those items.

If people don't like you moving their stuff, tell them to tell the pool attendant, who hopefully, will quote RCI's policy about not saving loungers....

Happy Cruising,

tnt10

We went to the Windjammer for lunch one sea day on the Indy. We left books,hats etc on our loungers, as it was intended to be a quick drop in, eat, return job.

As it transpired, we got talking to the ship's doctor (DW is an offshore medic) and didn't return for about 45/50 minutes.

Our stuff had been cleared away by the deck crew; fair enough, we were gone too long, but what ground my gears was that the two loungers adjacent had been empty, but "reserved" with personal items. On our return - late,I concede - these two were still empty with the same stuff hogging them (a vivid blue hat sticks in my memory).

So come on RCL - by all means enforce the "no reservation" policy but do it consistently.

If we want lunch while at the pool we take turns getting a plate and eat it by the pool. I think if you go to have lunch and want to sit in the windjammer or any other venue you shouldn't try to keep your lounger. Some people are waiting for one in the sun. We like to sit by the pool for hours. Take a dip then lay out, take a dip repeat. When we've had enough we go find a seat in the shade. We don't own a pool so it is a novelty we enjoy!