Question about Chair hogs.

es0

As I try to prepare for my upcoming cruise, is it being a chair hog to actually be in the pool, with your stuff at the chair? What are you supposed to do, as politically correct as possible, so as not to have your things confiscated? Come out every 20-30 minutes and make yourself seen at your chair? It could easily be a 30 minute ordeal to make a combo trip to the restroom and to the bar and back. I just want to make sure to get it correct and not offend anyone, especially since I'll just be traveling with my 12 year old, and she will likely be out and about, so no one to hold down the nest if I need to have a potty/drink break.

I don't spend much time in the pool but I do like a 30-60 siesta with a good book and cocktail once in a while. it amazes me how many chairs are unoccupied, yet strewn with towels, books, flip flops, sun cream etc. I like the idea of an attendant putting a marker or similar on a chair and then removing items if necessary.

Btw, I also think that by putting issues like this to Royal on Twitter or Facebook would make them take a little more notice.

Btw again, what are my chances of a nice siesta on Oasis in September 😀

We never had any trouble last week on Oasis, even on sea days. If you don't have to be right by pool there are plenty of choices.

We had late seating dinner as we always do and by 5 pm the pools and chairs were practically deserted. But even at peak times there was always something.

As I try to prepare for my upcoming cruise, is it being a chair hog to actually be in the pool, with your stuff at the chair? What are you supposed to do, as politically correct as possible, so as not to have your things confiscated? Come out every 20-30 minutes and make yourself seen at your chair? It could easily be a 30 minute ordeal to make a combo trip to the restroom and to the bar and back. I just want to make sure to get it correct and not offend anyone, especially since I'll just be traveling with my 12 year old, and she will likely be out and about, so no one to hold down the nest if I need to have a potty/drink break.

As I said earlier in this thread, I am fresh off the Allure and I saw nothing confiscated, just chairs being hogged from 7AM on. With that being the only way to get a chair...I admit to going out at 7:30 on the last sea day and doing as the Romans do. Place a couple of towels, went to breakfast, came back and laid out. It seems (on some ships at least) Royal prefers to limit their employee's confrontations with guests and simply ignores the chair hogs.

What freaks me out more than the chair thing is that people actually put their bodies in those gross water pits they call "pools". By midday, you can't even see the ladder stairs through the murky water. Skeeves me out and I am not even a germaphobe!

Be careful about removing personal items. Sally found two empty chairs one morning on the Oasis and set her stuff down to save them while she retrieve me. She found me not 30 seconds later and when we got to the chairs, a man was walking away with her stuff. When she stopped him, he chewed her out for taking their chairs. He got about 10 seconds into his rant when his wife walked up and interrupted him to say he went to the wrong chairs. He looked so demoralized that I actually felt sorry for him. He must have had a bad morning. Still, if my wife had not seen him walking away, who knows where her stuff would have gone.

Burt

As I said earlier in this thread, I am fresh off the Allure and I saw nothing confiscated, just chairs being hogged from 7AM on. With that being the only way to get a chair...I admit to going out at 7:30 on the last sea day and doing as the Romans do. Place a couple of towels, went to breakfast, came back and laid out. It seems (on some ships at least) Royal prefers to limit their employee's confrontations with guests and simply ignores the chair hogs.

What freaks me out more than the chair thing is that people actually put their bodies in those gross water pits they call "pools". By midday, you can't even see the ladder stairs through the murky water. Skeeves me out and I am not even a germaphobe!

While the pools may not be the cleanest place you can be, the murkiness is most likely due to sun screen. So many people Putting on sun screen right before getting in the water.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

While the pools may not be the cleanest place you can be, the murkiness is most likely due to sun screen. So many people Putting on sun screen right before getting in the water.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

The thought that it is due to sun screen doesn't make me feel any better about the murky pools LOL

I don't spend much time in the pool but I do like a 30-60 siesta with a good book and cocktail once in a while. it amazes me how many chairs are unoccupied, yet strewn with towels, books, flip flops, sun cream etc. I like the idea of an attendant putting a marker or similar on a chair and then removing items if necessary.

Btw, I also think that by putting issues like this to Royal on Twitter or Facebook would make them take a little more notice.

Btw again, what are my chances of a nice siesta on Oasis in September 😀

Nice post. On Oasis you will have no trouble is you don't have to be by the pool. Once deck up are plenty of chairs for relaxation and even on Sea Days I usually see a few open, if not more. (Things vary week to week)

ohh come on how, that is minor league hogging. You gotta do a chair for book, sunscreen, towels, shoes (each shoe gets it own chair). You can be more creative and bring one of those fake baby dolls,

Thank you! Great idea! It's like what I do in big cities, put a blow up doll in my passenger seat so I can drive in the HOV lane...

I've cruised RCCL 12 times and never found an open lounger on the pool deck... I've never gone before 10am though either... I have found families with many kids claim a chair for every child yet the kids are in the pool all day and rarely if ever use the lounger...

To be honest this chair hog thing is real and needs to be solved some way, it's not fair that the same early riser people get chairs every day yet hardly use them..

My last trip I had a suite gold card and even the reserved loungers had towels on them with no people to be found.. Some type of "pay to play" needs to implemented, chair hogs are cheating the system tarnishing the cruising experience ..

After say 40 minutes is staring at an empty lounger with a towel, why not put the towel on the floor and move the lounger a few feet away, leaving a gap where it was, kinda like a Somali Pirate hijack. They'd never know it was you, save an argument.

LOL!! Good one! :p

Actually, though not digital, I have read on these boards that some pool attendants, (can't remember which ship) were tossing notes with the time of day on those unused loungers. At 30 minutes, if the notes were still there untouched, they would come back through and pick up the items, tossing the towels and putting the "stuff" behind the counter in open cubby holes for pickup. ;)

We were on the Navigator a couple of weeks ago. . .one of the pool attendants was quite zealous about tagging chairs with a note and the time; in fact, I walked down to the Windjammer to get a cup of coffee to enjoy with my book and found a note on my lounge (I'll bet I wasn't even gone for 10 minutes). We also witnessed him removing items from chairs and putting them in the "Hog Bin". However, there was a lounge right next to me that was empty for at LEAST 4 hours; I called attention to it (not that I like to be a narc, but seriously, I never even SAW the supposed occupant even ONCE) and he tagged it. However, an hour later, it was STILL empty; another attendant just looked around, picked up the note, and threw it out.

So much for consistency. . . ;)

On Anthem a couple weeks ago. People would have towels out at 5:30 am.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

who in the world gets up that early on vacation..insanity! what is so great about the pool and loungers anyway. i guess for people that dont have access to water at home.

I think I'll print out about 200 of these as small leaflets before my trip, to bring and to put on the chairs - public shaming? (I'll probably get in trouble for littering)

Please read again. My sign say

We're NOT chair hogs.

f8609d53b901f50491f4debfbc4ba445.jpg

Here's another sign another CC posted a few days past

42096c3e67c2af8f9b865dea810bde45.jpg

I find that Chair Hogging is more in the Solarium on iffy weather days. When it's nice and warm outside there is no problem.

BUT When the weather is iffy everyone is trying to find a spot to sit or lay or play games. The Solarium on the RCCL ship are just too small for everyone.

Yes! we use the Solarium most of the day at sea days by swimming or using the hot tub and a delicious lunch at the Park Cafe.

I think I'll print out about 200 of these as small leaflets before my trip, to bring and to put on the chairs - public shaming? (I'll probably get in trouble for littering)

I was thinking buying some fake doggy poo and plastic vomit would be fun to just drop on chair hog spots.

Just off Oasis last week. Got to the Solarium around 8am on each of our three sea days and the *majority* of chairs had been reserved with towels by that time. Even in the shade. We eventually found chairs together in the upper part of the Solarium, but we could forget about any on the lower level with ocean views. I also noticed that most people had chair towel clips on their chairs as well, which made it more difficult for someone to remove a pool towel that had no personal property with it.

We just got off the Anthem 2 days ago and noticed that the pool attendants were vigorously monitoring lounge chairs in the Solarium. We saw her place some kind of marker on three chairs in a row, then come back some time later, check the marker, and remove the items. We gave her applause and a thumbs up! By the time we left several hours later, the original savers of the chairs still had not returned. Would have loved to have stayed to see their reactions! A day or so later we also saw a pool attendant walking through the Solarium with an arm full of items, not just towels.

We were just on Liberty this month and it was AWFUL trying to find a chair. I mean, I don't lay out there for HOURS on end, but I know that we would pass through several times and the same items were there as if they had not been touched. And the two sea days that we wanted a lounger, we had to go the top where the walking track is (which was not enjoyable as it was very windy).