7 Bottle Wine Package

dundeene

With or without prices I don't think the list would be of much help -- from what I have read here it's a matter of what bottles are still available on the ship. That can vary widely.

People also seem disappointed with the quality of the wines. I'm no expert so I couldn't say! But it sounds like you may be better off buying off the wine list in the restaurant. On our last cruise we got some very nice wines but we had a lot of OBC to spend and so we splurged on some bottles that we would never have considered if we were really paying for them.

Mura

With or without prices I don't think the list would be of much help -- from what I have read here it's a matter of what bottles are still available on the ship. That can vary widely.

People also seem disappointed with the quality of the wines. I'm no expert so I couldn't say! But it sounds like you may be better off buying off the wine list in the restaurant. On our last cruise we got some very nice wines but we had a lot of OBC to spend and so we splurged on some bottles that we would never have considered if we were really paying for them.

Mura

Yup, last summer we were going to buy the package but did not see anything we thought we would like so we did a bottle at a time and it worked out fine. Had a lot of OBC but we were able to spend it anyway. I got a new shirt and the BW went the the spa again.

We always look at the list but only considered buying it once when there was a well respected Anderson Valley Pinot Noir, which, at $47 for a "restaurant" price, would've been quite a bargain. However, the rest of that list's available wines were bargain basement leftovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are currently on the Riviera. Price of the package was $332.50, including gratuity. My wife did purchase the package.

PS: The first six days we had very rough seas. Winds often exceeded 40-50 mph with 8-10 ft seas. Otherwise, the cruise has been very good. We did have two medical emergencies. Someone was taken by tender to an ambulance on Dominica. St Bart's was cancelled due to another emergency and we diverted to St Maarten for the day. On our way back to Miami now.

Thank you, I found a sample of a past list but no pricing.

If you are on a port intensive cruise in a wine area consider going to the local supermarket or wine distributor and purchasing bottles of the local wine. The local wines are usually excellent and priced very well. Pay the $25 corkage fee and you will be in a better wine place than the 7 bottle package.

If you are on a port intensive cruise in a wine area consider going to the local supermarket or wine distributor and purchasing bottles of the local wine. The local wines are usually excellent and priced very well. Pay the $25 corkage fee and you will be in a better wine place than the 7 bottle package.

This is particularly true for certain close-to-home embarkation ports as well. When we left for the Panama Canal from hometown SF, we were able to bring some outstanding wines from our own stock. The $25 corkage was much less a factor than would have been the retail cost of those same wines onboard (realizing, of course, that the ship would most likely not have those "winery purchase only" estate bottles.

What I cannot see is folks wasting their $25 on bottles of "two buck chuck" picked up from a portside souvenir store.

Jean - remember the stop our guide made in Slovenia to allow me to get some of the "black wine". Wish I could get it here at home.

Jean - remember the stop our guide made in Slovenia to allow me to get some of the "black wine". Wish I could get it here at home.

That's the problem with great local wines. You can never find them again when you get home.

• 4 weeks later...

Do they give you all 7 bottles to take to your cabin and then you bring what you want to dinner or just the list of wines and you order at the table and they cross off wine you ordered?

Reason I ask is I will be on a B2B and have a bundle of onboard credit for the 1st leg and very much less on the 2nd leg. It is one way to pay for my 2nd leg wine with the first leg OBC.

Not sure if I can carry over the wine from first leg to the second. I currently don't have the 2nd leg cabin assigned yet. Can't have them put the cabin number on the bottles

Do they give you all 7 bottles to take to your cabin and then you bring what you want to dinner or just the list of wines and you order at the table and they cross off wine you ordered?

Reason I ask is I will be on a B2B and have a bundle of onboard credit for the 1st leg and very much less on the 2nd leg. It is one way to pay for my 2nd leg wine with the first leg OBC.

Not sure if I can carry over the wine from first leg to the second. I currently don't have the 2nd leg cabin assigned yet. Can't have them put the cabin number on the bottles

just tell the Sommelier you are on the next cruise and it should not be a problem

hopefully you have an assigned cabin by the last day of your 1st segment but do reminder the sommelier the last night that you are continuing on

When you go to dinner, you tell the sommelier that you have purchased the wine package, and they will fetch whichever bottle you select for that night. If you have some leftover, they will save it for you for later, either in your room or at a later meal. If you tell them about your B2B, there should be no problem carrying over any wine.

Are you thinking....Ah 7 bottles Chateau Yaquem, Petruse, Cherval Blanc. and maybe a Rodier Krystal.. or a Screaming Eagle Cab.. ..... your dreaming

The wines are bin ends, stuff thats been on board too long and going over the hill, not selling well or they have just a few left and they want to get rid of it.....its a real crap shoot;p;p;p;p;p as Dirty Harry said....."Are you feeling lucky" They will mix some real dogs with a few modest to fair... It will not be premier cru stuff.

Pick your wine, as you pick your friends....carefully If you dont have a good knowledge of wine and of the specific vintage and vintner... dont jump....run the other way what you dont know can hurt you....dont be sucked in by price...:confused:

I believe the values available were better when they first introduced the program. And yes, we understood they were clearing out the remainders. Otherwise, no reason to have the sale. It used to be mid cruise, now it's at embarkation which is a zoo.

On our last cruise nothing appealed and we didn't purchase.

Mo

The wines are typically $10-$15 bottles of wine, retail, with maybe one nice bottle thrown in to pretty the list up. Of course, they are all on sale for $47 each!

I look at the wine package the same as I do O tours. Drastically over priced, but there for the cruisers , that don't want to bother booking private tours, nor buy wine to bring aboard. Here, take my money, I don't want to think. Win-win. Cruiser doesn't think or exert any energy- O makes a tremendous markup.

• 1 year later...

We bought a half dozen excellent reds at fair prices at a little boutique wine store in Key West, the first stop on our Panama Canal cruise. We also found some good $50-60 bottles on the wine list.

Anyone just bother to bring on some of your own and pay the corkage? At least you know what you are getting

We certainly plan to. After 2 days in Bordeaux next year I think we’ll be fully stocked for the rest of the cruise :cool: or at least until we hit Rioja & Oporto ;)