$7.95 Room Service Charge

some of the new menu items don't look too bad. Sure I don't want to pay for it but. Might give it a try. haven't had wings on a cruise in a long time

I agree and have to admit....that while I still stand behind it being wrong on the way Royal implemented the new policy...beyond that principal I would be ok at 3am if say hubby and I ordered a philly cheesesteak, nachos, a quesadilla and some dessert to pay $8....under different circumstances it wouldn't bother me in the least....

Somewhere, in the cruise contract that passengers agreed to upon booking, is some sort of disclaimer mentioning that the cruise line can change things like the price of room service at any time. It probably even says "without notice," although they have given some notice. The passenger is charged with knowing what the contract says.

Legally, RCL is under no obligation to continue to offer free room service because it was in the brochure at the time of booking.

It can be argued that it's bad customer service and, in the name of customer service, they should make an exception for every passenger who has already paid in full (they won't), but really the only recourse for the passenger is to either pay the fee, skip room service, or book another cruise line. There are a number of lines that still include room service in the cruise fare (and there are some that may even include the tips)

Just because it is in a contract doesn't make it legal.

Just because it is in a contract doesn't make it legal.

True but it does make it less of a clear-cut matter. And every bit of obstruction like that that they can put in place will reduce even further the number of passengers who will make an issue of it.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Yep. Let's see how they cope if EVERYONE orders a continental breakfast for a week on every cruise world wide.

I for one will be bringing this up with our TA as under UK Law they have to honour anything advertised at the time of booking.

Along with many, many other people I emailed Mr. Bayley yesterday about this "surprise". My main point was that it was so sudden, with very little lead time, especially for those of us with paid in full cruises. I told him that we are not fortunate enough to afford booking suites, and I did say that perhaps they could consider some sort of C&A perk for this charge.

So this morning at 7 am (!!!) I get a call from Kevin something and he launches into his explanation about how this is a done deal, it is not going away, yes it is unfair to guests paid in full and they are considering some modifications to the policy. Not pushing the date further out, not changing the amount, but perhaps offering some sort of discount to loyal cruisers. I'm sure they are drowning in angry calls and emails (serves them right for springing this on us) and he definitely had his patter down, barely taking a breath so I couldn't get a word in. I guess I should appreciate that they did acknowledge my email and they are aware that this was a bit abrupt.

I just got a voicemail from "Nelson" on behalf of Mr. Bayley. I guess I won't call back if I'm only going to get a lecture.

Sent from my XT1575 using Forums mobile app

I just got a voicemail from "Nelson" on behalf of Mr. Bayley. I guess I won't call back if I'm only going to get a lecture.

Sent from my XT1575 using Forums mobile app

I got my call from Bayley's office at 3:45. It had the same level of coherence and acknowledgement of the flaws as a Sean Spicer press conference or a Conway interview. They are working from a script, it seems, because once off script, he floundered. I kept hitting on the fact that it is STILL advertised as the former policy on the website. He had no legitimate response.

I wish I knew how to get the media involved in this.

I for one will be bringing this up with our TA as under UK Law they have to honour anything advertised at the time of booking.

Yes I would have thought that what was advertised and stated as included at the time of booking should not be able to be taken away !!!

But unfortunately it doesnt seem to work like that with big cruise lines

NCL did the exact same thing after I had booked !!!!! after they had already increased the gratuity charge again after i had booked !!! and ive not booked with them again I lost faith ,

Ive now lost faith with RCI they just keep moving the goal posts

WOW - nearly 600 posts about a $7.95 charge for something outside base room service menu items. :eek:

It's almost hilarious to see many hundreds of posts discussing the good idea and value of spending hundreds of dollars on alcoholic drink packages...and at the same site...a number of others all knotted up about this topic.

It boils down to the fact that when you buy a product or service as advertised this is what you expect , so if you booked thinking room service was free and you were looking forward to having a relaxed breakfast in your room for free

and then being told it will no longer be free ,

I think you have a right to be a bit annoyed

WOW - nearly 600 posts about a $7.95 charge for something outside base room service menu items. :eek:

It's almost hilarious to see many hundreds of posts discussing the good idea and value of spending hundreds of dollars on alcoholic drink packages...and at the same site...a number of others all knotted up about this topic.

ALL Room Service (other than "continental breakfast") is being charged this fee. This means "basic" room service, because unlike Celebrity, there are no upgraded menu options.

Yes, people talking about cruising on cruise critic? What will they think of next?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Simple answer. Don't spend your $$$ with RCCL.

If you already have then it is too late to change your cruise. This policy goes into place 2 days before my cruise. I paid for a cruise with room service included. Now they have canceled a service that I bought and was advertised as available when I fully paid for my ticket. I can't cancel my cruise at this point as the flights are planned and there are no refunds anyway.

How can you not see the problem with this?

Simple answer. Don't spend your $$$ with RCCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

At least in the future.

I just read a thread on the Carnival board confirming that the is no charge for room service.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

The difference is they told me how much the drink package is and I willingly paid it. In the case of the room service; they are taking away something I paid for. It was included in the ticket price when I bought my cruise and it was advertised as complementary when I purchased my ticket. In fact- it still is! Go look at the Royal Caribbean dining site. This is blatant false advertising. Would you enjoy paying for something and not getting it? How can you not see the problem with this?

Let's be fair: You're imposing that interpretation on their message. It isn't coming from them.

If a company, any company, gets to the point where they have to raise prices because operations are too costly, then they're already so far into the storm that everyone should jump ship. No successful service provider of discretionary services prices based on cost. They price based on value.

It sounds like you want them to say, "We have detected an increase in discretionary income among our target demographic and so we're going to introduce a change to harvest that additional revenue-generating opportunity." Don't you think that critics will be even more rapacious in their exploitation of that comment as they are with regard to the marketing-crafted statements that the company releases instead?

Is your sole purpose on this thread to act as RCL's PR??? I certainly hope they are paying you lol.