$7.95 Room Service Charge

Regarding Symphony not being "on the list"

Um, we booked before this new charge was rolled out. So we booked under the assumption that there was no charge for room service. And since the ship is still not on the list, why wouldn't one continue to assume this?

Doesnt matter when you booked. RCCL stated it goes into effect starting mar 27 as ships are rolled out. That is why everyone is so angry. In regards to it not being on the list, the ship isnt even out. Kinda hard to put it on the roll out list when if they were to roll out room service, it would be difficult as the galley is likely not yet finished and the waiters are not yet onboard. When the ship arrives it will arrive with the same standards as the rest of the fleet. There will be no exception.

Awesome! Symphony of the Seas is exempt, and I am already booked.

Nope, not exempt. Just not affected by the roll out since she hasn't sailed yet and thereby never had free room service.

CB

I'm on that Serenaded sailing, well see how it. Works out.

As far as Symphony, isn't all the good stuff ala carte like Harmony?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Then your mission, should you accept it, is to report back how it works out on your cruise. No trays in hallways? Guests storming GS? And, if you actually order room service, quicker delivery with hot items hot and better sounding food actually better?

As far as Harmony, according to the roll- out schedule, she goes to $7.95 on April 1st. Anthem and Ovation also will be getting the new $7.95 menu. So for those ships, it is a better deal - until it's not.

~ Judy

Regarding Symphony not being "on the list"

Um, we booked before this new charge was rolled out. So we booked under the assumption that there was no charge for room service. And since the ship is still not on the list, why wouldn't one continue to assume this?

Too easy, but you know what happens when you assume something? ;p:')

Lots of people booked before the new change was rolled out. But RCI says they are going fleet wide with this new and improved room service menu and the $7.95 delivery charge.

I a$$ume the only reason Symphony is not on the list is because RCI doesn't have to "roll it out" to her. She hasn't sailed yet. So her inaugural sailing will have the new room service. I guess you could write Mr. Baley (sp?) and ask.

Like I mentioned earlier, isn't the good food ala carte?

Nope. The good food will be replaced by the NEW AND IMPROVED GOOD FOOD. All you want for $7.95 per delivery. Until like somebody posted, they start adding back ala carte charges in addition to the delivery charge. :eek:

CB

Too easy, but you know what happens when you assume something? ;p:')

Lots of people booked before the new change was rolled out. But RCI says they are going fleet wide with this new and improved room service menu and the $7.95 delivery charge.

I a$$ume the only reason Symphony is not on the list is because RCI doesn't have to "roll it out" to her. She hasn't sailed yet. So her inaugural sailing will have the new room service. I guess you could write Mr. Baley (sp?) and ask.

Nope. The good food will be replaced by the NEW AND IMPROVED GOOD FOOD. All you want for $7.95 per delivery. Until like somebody posted, they start adding back ala carte charges in addition to the delivery charge. :eek:

CB

Symphony is nowhere to be found as though she does not exist. Not in my cruise planner and when I go to update for missing cruises and scroll down the ships--no Symphony.

Anthem of the Seas is a-la-carte pricing, so with this new charge for the room service is it just the 7.95 or a-la-carte plus the 7.95?

Does anyone have the current Anthem room service menu?

Anthem of the Seas is a-la-carte pricing, so with this new charge for the room service is it just the 7.95 or a-la-carte plus the 7.95?

Does anyone have the current Anthem room service menu?

All I have is the breakfast menu:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48005761&postcount=4

I sent an email last week to Bailey and got a call back last week but didn't answer. "Nelson" called me again today to discuss my not so pleasant email. He literally sounded like he was reading a script full of company lines. Swears customers asked for the enhanced menu and after much research, this is what they decided. When I asked if their surveys clearly stated the "enhanced" menu would come with a charge, he had no answer. I explained that I undertand that services change, but the roll out and timing was horrible for us who already paid in full. I asked for an OBC and got no where. I find the whole issue unacceptable and full of poor customer service. Not sure why they are even calling folks back. It is clear they aren't budging and are very defensive. Don't waste your time trying to reason if you get a call back.

I know this doesn't help much, but this is all the same stuff that happened when NCL did the same thing.

I suppose in a few years free room service will be part of "the good old days" on all cruise lines.

Maybe on the Contemporary lines. The premium lines (Princess, Holland America, and Celebrity) will hold onto it longer.

Eventually one will have to book with Deluxe (Azamara, Oceania) or the Luxury lines to get the basics that used to be taken for granted on even the most basic of cruises. It's sad really. End of an era, we are all living through it.

With that said land based travel at All Inclusives offer other options. Currently cruising is the best value imho. That may not always be true. All Inclusives like Secrets, Couples, Sandals, Iberostar, RIU, Gran Bahia Principe -- all compete for traveller dollars. Cruises are currently cheaper but that is rapidly becoming a value propisition with all the cutbacks on Contemporary lines.

It used to be even Carnival/RCCL/NCL gave you a "Secrets/Sandals" quality experience for half the cost. Lately I'm finding that's not the case.

Edited by bamelin

My parents have both passed away now, but spent many years cruising with the family on Royal ships. There were many times that they felt they just couldn't manage an excursion and wanted to stay on the ship. While they didn't have Alzheimers or dementia, they did get confused in the halls and we always helped them find their cabin. If we went on an excursion that went past noon, we always knew they could and would order room service and would eat on the balcony. They considered this a great convenience and it kept us from worrying about them getting 'lost' on the ship. Of course, without a doubt, we would pay the charge for room service now, but I think it's really a shame to add this charge.

My parents have both passed away now, but spent many years cruising with the family on Royal ships. There were many times that they felt they just couldn't manage an excursion and wanted to stay on the ship. While they didn't have Alzheimers or dementia, they did get confused in the halls and we always helped them find their cabin. If we went on an excursion that went past noon, we always knew they could and would order room service and would eat on the balcony. They considered this a great convenience and it kept us from worrying about them getting 'lost' on the ship. Of course, without a doubt, we would pay the charge for room service now, but I think it's really a shame to add this charge.

My folks are similar (in their 70s). They raved to me about Holland America's 'free' room service and hot breakfast. This cutback with RCCL would be a deal breaker if they had ever sailed with the line.

They actually started with MSC in 2008 (they still love), tried Princess, NCL and HAL before settling on HAL. Biggest reason for loving HAL? Hot Breakfast, free MDR room delivery and a big TV in the room.

I think it's going to impact cruisers with a disability the most, which is a shame. I don't have a problem with going to the venues to eat, but for those that can't or that it presents a difficulty...and can't afford a Grand Suite???? Instead of just saying that it's fine for you, how about considering others who truly love cruising but don't have unlimited funds and have some physical limitations.Incidentally, my parents would RAVE about the fine meal they were served and had to tell us every detail of the choices they made from the menus, so they were very satisfied with that "free" food that some of you found unacceptable.

I think it's going to impact cruisers with a disability the most, which is a shame. I don't have a problem with going to the venues to eat, but for those that can't or that it presents a difficulty...and can't afford a Grand Suite???? Instead of just saying that it's fine for you, how about considering others who truly love cruising but don't have unlimited funds and have some physical limitations.Incidentally, my parents would RAVE about the fine meal they were served and had to tell us every detail of the choices they made from the menus, so they were very satisfied with that "free" food that some of you found unacceptable.

I agree completely.

I was going to add more comments, but I think you nailed it.

I think it's going to impact cruisers with a disability the most, which is a shame.
And that shame tracks back to our nation's neglecting to extend full protections of the ADA to cruise ships operating in US waters to the extent physically practicable.

I have just been in contact with customer services regarding this new charge. I explained that I like many others had paid in full for what they had advertised. I also explained that I am disabled and have breakfast in my room, as mornings tend to be my worst time. The advisor put me on hold and then came back and said there was nothing he could do except tell me to complete the survey. I am really upset that Royal Caribbean do in fact discriminate against disabled people as it will cost a disabled person more to cruise with them. I'm really upset and now wished we had booked with another cruise line. Royal is acting like a cheap airline but charging a premium price :mad:

Common sense to avoid as much controversy as possible. New room service fee applies only to new bookings after a certain date. Existing bookings not affected. Simple and to the point. Why stir up folks with existing bookings? Any common sense with the bean counters who think up these ideas in Miami?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is not right, it does affect existing bookings, it starts when the new menu is rolled out on ships. So if it is rolled out on the 12/04/2017 then that is when you start paying.

This is not right, it does affect existing bookings, it starts when the new menu is rolled out on ships. So if it is rolled out on the 12/04/2017 then that is when you start paying.

You should read his post again, he is agreeing with you.

And that shame tracks back to our nation's neglecting to extend full protections of the ADA to cruise ships operating in US waters to the extent physically practicable.

What would you like them to change with the ship to make it more accessible? Right now you can get on a scooter at you cabin, go down a passageway, into an elevator, and into the MDR or Windjammer without ever getting off of the scooter. Just where is it that our nation is so negligent on this matter?

What would you like them to change with the ship to make it more accessible? Right now you can get on a scooter at you cabin, go down a passageway, into an elevator, and into the MDR or Windjammer without ever getting off of the scooter. Just where is it that our nation is so negligent on this matter?

People just love buzz words

Discrimination, False Advertising, Corporate Greed, Guatemala, etc...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

There's a reason cruise ship sterns say NASSAU and not OSLO anymore...

It is my opinon that Royal Caribbean don't care about there older passenger anymore. All there new ships are designed for the younger generation. All the new things to do on board are for the young. As has been stated the older person more often that not likes to go back to their cabin after they have been on an excursion and sit and have something to eat and drink. This charge is just another nail in the coffin for older people, some of whom are infirm and unable to get to the Windjammer or other eating establishment to get something to eat after being out on excursion and coming back tired and probably in pain. (this is me) the last thing I want to do is get up again and get myself to the windjammer. I purchased the cruise and it stated that room service apart from after 12 was free. I would like to have had the choice of going with it or not. Also it appears that people from the UK pay a lot more for the same cruise anyway, I consider this extra payment totally unfair. We had already decided before this charge was put on to change to another cruiseline, the quality of Royal Caribbeans food has gone down, and in my option is no longer fit for purpose. The last few meals I had were terrible, the meat was tough and grizzle covered. It was also presented to us tipid or cold.