$7.95 Room Service Charge

Just sent my official protest to C&A. If this causes enough flap, I really think they might back off...at least they did in the great Diamond Cocktail debacle several years ago...when they went back to the Diamond Lounge concept with food and drinks instead of peanuts and beer/wine. You opinion does help. Emails or letters do work sometimes.

As a last resort....MSC is winking at us.

This exact thing happened with NCL, everyone went nuts, and the room service fee is there to stay.

We'll see, but even so, they'll never get a penny from us for bringing us food!:mad:

I'd rather walk off the calories anyways...

Have you never stayed in a hotel? You pay for the food, you pay a delivery charge AND you give a tip. Since this charge includes the tip ($3-5 that you'd be giving anyway), it's really not much at all, especially if the food is improved.

In any event, seems to be the way things are heading. Enjoy MSC - at least until they decide to follow suit.

Have you never stayed in a hotel? You pay for the food, you pay a delivery charge AND you give a tip. Since this charge includes the tip ($3-5 that you'd be giving anyway), it's really not much at all, especially if the food is improved.

In any event, seems to be the way things are heading. Enjoy MSC - at least until they decide to follow suit.

Tip included does help and better food choices...

Exactly my point, also. I've never heard so much whining over a surcharge, which was bound to happen. Apparently there are people that utilize room service frequently, and they are worried about the cost adding up. I guess I'm not sympathetic enough, as I don't think I've ever used room service on a cruise.

I agree that having the tip included does ease the pain of the fee. Food choices do look good. I hadn't planned on lunch or dinner room service but feel like now I will try it at least once and order multiple items. Probably even a cheese and fruit plate to keep in the mini fridge for a snack. For two people this is cheaper than going to JR.

I agree that having the tip included does ease the pain of the fee. Food choices do look good. I hadn't planned on lunch or dinner room service but feel like now I will try it at least once and order multiple items. Probably even a cheese and fruit plate to keep in the mini fridge for a snack. For two people this is cheaper than going to JR.

This was my suggestion to those that need to utilize room service frequently. Order something hot for now, and cold items that can be put in cabin frig for later. Problem solved! Because getting all upset, sending RCCL emails, etc, is not going to change it. It is a solution to get around being charged everytime you order.

You know we're getting ready to embark next month on an 18-day transpacific out of Sydney and this just adds to the epic levels we've heard about nickel-and-diming pax for standard stuff on what is actually a fairly expensive cruise booked 2 yrs ago with no discounts available. We've done 30+ cruises (first was actually an RCI Bahamas hop) and we chose this for the itinerary, but my expectations are already in the toilet - as apparently the corridor bouquet is. We've always been small ship cruisers (Radisson, Windstar, Seabourn, Seadream, Oceania, Crystal) and I fully expect that's where we'll be returning even though Radiance is a small ship by RCI standards. I'll try to keep an open mind but no robes, no bathroom amenities, charge for the smallest thing from room service, ridiculous beverage, excursion, and upsell dining options - no thank you. You can pay $100 more a day on an upscale line and enjoy the cruise more and not get taken to the woodshed.

I guess the good news is room service orders will fall off so they take less than 45 mins-2 hrs to fill. Bad news is this policy will add even more pressure to an already overcrowded Windjammer Cafe since breakfast in MDR is apparently a sketchy 60-90 minute affair. Working the open mind angle...

And then there will be the inevitable 18-20% on top of the $7.95 for room service English muffin and coffee...

If you have read the topic on RCCL, then you would know, Continental breakfasts are NOT included. So you can still get your Coffee and English Muffin, and juice, with NO service charge...

Well- we'll be raiding the WJ at breakfast as my son will no longer be allowed to pick up the phone and order 4 boxes of fruit loops when he can no longer get them! We used to take care of the delivery person with $4-$5 based on the sheer nonsense of the thing.

I have, incidentally, gotten dinner to go from the MDR. My daughter was missing from dinner one night, and when the head waiter came around he noticed someone was missing. I said she was under the weather and he asked if there was anything he could send back to the cabin for her. Instead he was able to bring it to one of the other kids we were traveling with who took it to where they were meeting.

One of my best MDR experiences EVER. Of course, he was also bringing off menu treats most night!

In a hotel you are not a captive audience.

I seldom order room service and when I do it is breakfast only. So, it won't really affect me - I usually eat a cold breakfast anyway. It is more chipping away at benefits, though. But by waiving the fee for GS and above it is one more way of making the suites "sweeter". Now they can put free room service into the perks for the suites. Another " included benefit" that used to be free to all anyway.

Agree. We used to use room service for breakfast frequently, however when the food was almost inedible a few times we started rethinking it. We used romantic service once on our last cruise and it took so long to get we ended up not eating most of it. Waste of our time and theirs.

If the quality and timing is better I am willing to pay the surcharge which is just a bit higher than what we would have tipped anyway.

I do feel for those who have mobility issues, not sure how they dealt with quality before, but do hope some compromise can be reached for them.

And yes I am betting those lines that still are free will be implemented a charge soon.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I've also read a few comments that said the WJ will be even crazier than before. That may be. But I never noticed that as the case on NCL, and they've had the $7.95 fee for awhile.That was the one thing I noticed that I liked on NCL--their buffet is not the zoo that RCCL WJ is. I sailed the Indy in 2014 and Oasis in 2015, and felt both were over crowded. I never felt that on NCL. So, it goes without saying, I'm sure the WJ may get crazier than it already is! But then again, NCL has much more free venues to choose from. And I never felt people trying to harass me to buy something else, as RCCL does.

Maybe in some cases, but the hotel did not take money from me promising this service as free except after midnight did they?

As I said, matters not how much, its the principle. And since I usually tip the service person a couple bucks, it would still not include that. And I didn't say I had booked MSC, just have investigated her newest ship...make your own assumptions but don't misquote me....

In a hotel you are not a captive audience.
That's never mattered, legally, as far as I can recall. We're not talking about access to potable water, and in talking about food we're talking about something that the ship still makes available - for free, even - during reasonable periods of time. The "captive audience" argument doesn't really hold water.

Now they can put free room service into the perks for the suites. Another " included benefit" that used to be free to all anyway.
As such, a rather smart move. As much as the typical American consumer bargain hunts, there are a goodly number of American consumers who relish in the prestige and status of getting something significant better than everyone else. RCI seems to be hitting all the buttons with this.

I've also read a few comments that said the WJ will be even crazier than before.
When I read those comments I asked myself, "Are these comments being made by anyone who doesn't have a vested interest in making the change sound bad?" I didn't see any.

As soon as a good number of people post, "I like the change, but..." I would start worrying more about those comments.

I've also read a few comments that said the WJ will be even crazier than before. That may be. But I never noticed that as the case on NCL, and they've had the $7.95 fee for awhile.That was the one thing I noticed that I liked on NCL--their buffet is not the zoo that RCCL WJ is. I sailed the Indy in 2014 and Oasis in 2015, and felt both were over crowded. I never felt that on NCL. So, it goes without saying, I'm sure the WJ may get crazier than it already is! But then again, NCL has much more free venues to choose from. And I never felt people trying to harass me to buy something else, as RCCL does.

On the Oasis class there are so many more breakfast options: Park Café, MDR, WJ, Solarium Bistro, Johnny Rockets, Wipe Out Café & Café Promenade. On this class of ships we hardly visit the WJ--no omelets or fresh eggs.

On the Oasis class there are so many more breakfast options: Park Café, MDR, WJ, Solarium Bistro, Johnny Rockets, Wipe Out Café & Café Promenade. On this class of ships we hardly visit the WJ--no omelets or fresh eggs.

And the Windjammer is still crazy.

Regarding Symphony not being "on the list"

Nope, not exempt. Just not affected by the roll out since she hasn't sailed yet and thereby never had free room service.

CB

Um, we booked before this new charge was rolled out. So we booked under the assumption that there was no charge for room service. And since the ship is still not on the list, why wouldn't one continue to assume this?

Regarding Symphony not being "on the list"

Um, we booked before this new charge was rolled out. So we booked under the assumption that there was no charge for room service. And since the ship is still not on the list, why wouldn't one continue to assume this?

Like I mentioned earlier, isn't the good food ala carte?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Yea pretty soon they will be charging to eat in MDR

Sent from my iPad using Forums