Celebrity Edge and The Magic Carpet

cruisebrotha06

• 2 weeks later...

I think the magic carpet looks very cool in theory but if its all open, its going to be pretty windy on it.

The picture looks like its open from the deck rails up. You will not be able to eat drink or have a hairstyle if that it so. I cant imagine they would let that happen. What do you think?

Brenda

I think the magic carpet looks very cool in theory but if its all open, its going to be pretty windy on it.

The picture looks like its open from the deck rails up. You will not be able to eat drink or have a hairstyle if that it so. I cant imagine they would let that happen. What do you think?

Brenda

I was thinking that as well (well, maybe not about the hairstyle issue); I guess that is where the "magic" comes into play. Would hate for a nice glass of Caymus to blow overboard. :eek:

Since I don't book suites or private cabana I don't see much on Edge that attracts me. I'll be just fine on the S-class ships and I hope the Edge helps to lower prices on the S-class ships. It seems like the private suite area, private cabanas and open air movie and ding areas disproportionately reduce the open deck area for the standard balcony or inside passenger. I think Celebrity will discover that people desiring a high end luxury cruise experience will still use other true luxury cruise lines. Good luck to Celebrity but I think this is poor concept.

Since I don't book suites or private cabana I don't see much on Edge that attracts me. I'll be just fine on the S-class ships and I hope the Edge helps to lower prices on the S-class ships. It seems like the private suite area, private cabanas and open air movie and ding areas disproportionately reduce the open deck area for the standard balcony or inside passenger. I think Celebrity will discover that people desiring a high end luxury cruise experience will still use other true luxury cruise lines. Good luck to Celebrity but I think this is poor concept.

I think all the major cruise lines realise there is a lot of desire for an upgraded experience that people will pay a lot more for. It's not just Celebrity, NCL, Royal and MSC all have a ship within a ship concept. It's big money for the cruise lines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lots of people desire the energy and amenities of a big ship, but want an upscale, luxury experience. Definitely a sizable market for Edge. On the cruise I booked the cheapest suite is now $1,000 per/person more than I paid. High demand for sure!

Lots of people desire the energy and amenities of a big ship, but want an upscale, luxury experience. Definitely a sizable market for Edge. On the cruise I booked the cheapest suite is now $1,000 per/person more than I paid. High demand for sure!

There are still thousands of people on the ship that won't have access to many desirable areas on the ship. I'm sure it will be nice for the suite passengers, but I fail to see the attraction for most of the passengers. It will be interesting to see how this marketing concept works in practice and if those prices continue for the suites after the first year or so.

I wonder how long it takes to move the Magic Carpet? Hopefully there will be a published schedule so you are aware that you may lose some privacy in your cabin/ verandah as it moves by.

It is moved remotely from the bridge & unoccupied while moving - no privacy issues. The dailies reportedly will contain a schedule of where it will be located throughout the day.

Using it as a tender platform (and having air conditioned tenders) is an idea with merit. It could widen the selection of ports and add new destinations for those who have "been there" on the "usual" itineraries. Not sure I totally buy into the other uses for the platform as the weather would definitely be a factor but I guess we will see in a year or two.

I wonder how long it takes to move the Magic Carpet? Hopefully there will be a published schedule so you are aware that you may lose some privacy in your cabin/ verandah as it moves by.

Tbh, I don't think it will make much difference because the pax booking those S3 suites infront of the MC will be aware of the obstruction and are probably reserving them for all the suite perks rather than the actual location. The MC will be the same as any other elevator, there is a chance it will have a mechanical fault and be stuck in any position on the rails at any time, however, X have stated they will publish a schedule of its movements.

Should this thread not be moved to the Edge Sub-Forum, Mods (unsure how to request it)? There are quite a few threads about the MC over there ;).

• 1 month later...

This comes from the Edge FAQs document - the info may be on other Edge threads, but it doesn't appear to be on this one:

"Perched on the starboard side of the ship, the Magic Carpet makes Celebrity Edge’s distinctive, sleek profile recognizable from miles away. With its stunning, open-air panoramic, outward-facing ocean views, Magic Carpet is designed with a yacht-like, breezy, and casual vibe, with comfortable seating, a full bar, and space for live music performances, making it the place to see and be seen.

The size of a tennis court, this incredible engineering feat is the world’s first cantilevered

venue at sea that travels 13 stories. This spectacular space is repositioned alongside several

decks and transforms into a new and exciting venue depending on which deck it’s positioned.

Situated on the summit of the ship on Deck 16, Magic Carpet becomes the ultimate specialty restaurant high in the sky where mouthwatering experiences such as “Dinner on the Edge” are hosted for a select number of guests. Get ready for a unique, al fresco culinary journey under the stars that’s sure to satisfy guests’ taste buds, eyes, and their sense of wonder all at the same time.

Down to Deck 14, Magic Carpet becomes an extension of the already expansive relaxing main pool area, the perfect place for breathtaking views, tantalizing libations, and live music.

On Deck 5, Magic Carpet extends the ship’s restaurants into the most amazing al fresco seating imaginable for close to 100 guests. Here it creates an intimate, open-air dining experience that will make the fresh ocean fare taste even fresher.

At the bottom, Deck 2, Magic Carpet hovers within a hair above the ocean surface and becomes an extension of the Destination Gateway, a new area that becomes a luxury embarkation station where guests will be whisked away aboard our newly redefined Edge LaunchesSM.

FAST FACTS/FEATURES

• Magic Carpet Total Square Footage: 1,937.5 sq. ft.

• Magic Carpet Total Length: 110 ft.

• Magic Carpet Total Width: 20 ft.

• Magic Carpet Total Weight: 240 metric tons

• Total Occupancy: 100

• The Magic Carpet is roughly the size of a tennis court

• Fabricated out of mainly painted steel with an airy, mesh ceiling

• The Magic Carpet is outfitted with programmable LED lighting"

This video shows what it may look like on all the different decks (I didn't see this particular video on this thread):

https://search.aol.com/aol/video?q=celebrity%20edge%20magic%20carpet&s_it=searchtabs&v_t=webmail-searchbox

Someone reported that Celebrity may release Edge restaurant info in June so we may hear more about the Magic Carpet dining soon. :D