re: Evening Chic- question from dh

Jetswdo

I haven't been on Celebrity since "formal" has turned to " evening chic"--- My dh (mid 60's) hates wearing button down dress shirts-- wants to know if wears his comfortable golf shirts with a jacket/blazer would he look out of place? He always wears tan slacks at night any way. We are eating those nights anyway in the specialty restaurants, but usually we go to the 9:00 show afterward. I have searched this board, but never found golf shirts mentioned, just dressy button down shirts- with or without jacket- (which he doesn't mind wearing at night any way). Thanks in advance for opinions....Anita

I haven't been on Celebrity since "formal" has turned to " evening chic"--- My dh (mid 60's) hates wearing button down dress shirts-- wants to know if wears his comfortable golf shirts with a jacket/blazer would he look out of place? He always wears tan slacks at night any way. We are eating those nights anyway in the specialty restaurants, but usually we go to the 9:00 show afterward. I have searched this board, but never found golf shirts mentioned, just dressy button down shirts- with or without jacket- (which he doesn't mind wearing at night any way). Thanks in advance for opinions....Anita

By "button down" do you mean shirts with collars that are buttoned down? If so, those types of shirts are not necessary. Just an ordinary dress shirt.

By "button down" do you mean shirts with collars that are buttoned down? If so, those types of shirts are not necessary. Just an ordinary dress shirt.

Question of semantics.

Button down shirts are dress shirts.

But, as someone else has said, the OP's DH will be fine, jacket or no jacket.

Gave up dragging jackets around the world about 30 cruises ago and no intention of starting again.

Just returned from our cruise, we also do not like to dress for dinner, hubby did not even bring a jacket or blazer in the speciality restaurants he will be fine.

Celebrity doesn't use the word "formal" any longer. There are the ordinary nights and "chic" nights. What it really means is that there is one (short cruises) or two (longer cruises) evenings which are a little dressier. This is interpreted by people differently.

You will find on these boards that there is a division between posters. There are those that prefer dressing up and those that prefer not to. Many folks will try to convince you one way or the other, which I don't understand why it is an issue so many people become personally invested in.

My personal experience is that long gone are the days of full length sequined formal gowns. However long dresses, sparkly tops, cocktail dresses or dressy slacks still predominate. Since I travel Aqua and eat in Blu, I can tell you that maybe 10-15% still wear tuxes or dinner jackets. Nearly all other men will wear a suit or jacket and tie. I think, based on seeing folks the rest of the evening, that in the MDR fewer men wear suits or ties. Women seem to like to dress up more than the men.

We did a 7 night Caribbean recently and ups would guess more than half the men were in a jacket of some sort on chic nights. We actually thought it was the younger passengers who were more dressed up most nights, especially on the evening chic nights.

From the Celebrity website:

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pant/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) with collared sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require and enforce compliance with dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the 'Smart Casual and Above: dress code in the Celebrity Theatre for all evening performances.

Evening Chic

Ladies: Cocktail dress, skits, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Gentlemen: Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater. Optional - sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

Speciality Restaurants (Including Blu for our AquaClass )

The dress code at Celebrity's Speciality Restaurants is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Evening Chic attire is only required in the main dining room on your "Evening Chic" evenings.

Does anyone know how many "chic" nights there are on a 12 day med cruise?

According to Celebrity's web site they are only supposed to have two but reports back are that some ships have decided to have three so I would prepare for three.

A golf shirt with or without a jacket is fine. I have noted, however, that on these nights a large percentage of men do wear either an entire suit or a jacket. So it depends on whether DH cares about being one of the crowd or not. A lot depends on the cruise. On a recent 14 night cruise we actually saw many men in tuxedos - a sight I have not seen on my 7-12 night cruises.

I will be eating in Blue and was planning on just dress pants and shirt for all nights but it seems from these posts that I'll be one of the very few and will most likely feel out of place. My DH will be wearing cocktail dresses so should I be bringing a dinner jacket with me for at the least the 'chic night' dinners or should I not worry about it (and just ask for a table in the corner where no one will see me):confused:

Mcgoo14, we sailed on Silhouette 2/26/17 in Aqua Class. Dress Pants, Dark Jeans, Dress Shirts and Polos were all we ever wore and did not feel a bit out of place in Blu. Many, even on Evening Chic nights, wore khakis and either a dress shirt or Polo. Others wore suits, some just jackets, never saw a Tuxedo.

Enjoy your cruise!

I think it's a real shame that the traditional formal night has been lost. I always found it to be a fun night and something special when everyone dressed up in formal attire. With the current dress code it sounds like it will just be like every other night but with a few jackets or blazers worn.

I for one will be taking my dinner suit and bow tie for the Tradewinds TA on 16th April and hopefully I won't be the only one!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jon, I doubt you'll be the only one wearing formal attire so no worries there. I'll be dressed up, just not to the nine's like some others might be. I'm just more comfortable not wearing a suit and tie and not having to pack one and drag it around the airports makes things just a little more practical. I might even be able to fit everything into a smaller suitcase too (but I'm sure I need the big one to fit the overflow from the DH). Cheers and enjoy your cruise in whatever attire you choose.

I think it's a real shame that the traditional formal night has been lost. I always found it to be a fun night and something special when everyone dressed up in formal attire. With the current dress code it sounds like it will just be like every other night but with a few jackets or blazers worn.

I for one will be taking my dinner suit and bow tie for the Tradewinds TA on 16th April and hopefully I won't be the only one!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There were plenty of tuxes on the Eclipse during our Jan.22-Feb. trip. The longer trips seem to attract a clientele that still likes to dress up(we certainly do)

Wow, a lot of responses-- Dh has no problem with a blazer type jacket- he hates wearing any button down shirt, period.

The web site says, "button down shirt" which he just doesn't want to do, unless he would stand out. So as long as he can just wear a golf shirt, with the jacket as needed that works for him.