Alaska? Best time to go and tips

After our Freedom Caribbean trip, I talked DH into an Alaska cruise for 2019. I know I can't book yet for our dates but I do need to know the best time to go at this point. For our work obligations, we need to plan a couple of years in advance. I would think summer is best for the land based portions of the trip. Any advice from those who have done Alaska?

I've been in Alaska at the end of May and over Labor Day. I preferred May, because of the very long days. Our pilot told us during a Misty Fjords flightseeing trip that May was a good month because more wildlife moves up into the mountains and are harder to spot as summer progresses (we saw a bear wandering on a hill across from where the plane landed in the park, and a moose in town on our way to the ship). It was also one of the dryest months. On the other hand, for our September cruise the days were short and we did have some sleet one day. We also saw whales bubble feeding (which was an amazing National-Geographic moment), the remains of the salmon runs around streams and some great sales from stores closing for the season. Just luck, but we didn't see glacier calving in May, but we did in September. No mosquitos on either trip, and they were a little cheaper on the shoulders of the season whichleft more money for excursons. My concluson: it's an amazing bucket list trip whenever you go, since there are so many amazing things to see. Can't wait to go again.

I don't know that there's a single "best" time. Longer days in May/June, but still might be too much ice in certain areas to get close to the glaciers. I agree, go whenever you can.

I will let you know in 10 weeks. :D

If you are going north into Denali, parts of the park are only open mid May through mid September due to road conditions. Other than that, I think your best option is to pick an itinerary that looks good and book early. You can always cancel up to 90-ish days before sailing to get your deposit back and prices are normally cheapest when bookings first open.

I will let you know in 10 weeks. :D

If you are going north into Denali, parts of the park are only open mid May through mid September due to road conditions. Other than that, I think your best option is to pick an itinerary that looks good and book early. You can always cancel up to 90-ish days before sailing to get your deposit back and prices are normally cheapest when bookings first open.

I suggest that you consider july or early august. The weather is great-sometimes warm. You will enjoy . My brother went to Alaska end of May and was not happy as it was cold and required heavy jackets. I assume that is why May and September are the least expensive times of the year in Alaska.

we went in May many years ago, the first cruise of the season. We were warned that it would be super cold - we were in shorts drinking tropical drinks on the deck. The good part was we got to do excursions (snowshoeing on a glacier) that you couldnt do later in the season. The bad part was many animals were still hibernating.

We have done a cruise only in June and a cruisetour in June. Once we needed jackets and on the cruisetour there was a heat wave and we needed shorts! If you can swing it the cruisetour is awesome. You get to see so much more of the interior of Alaska. There are planned and included excursions (food is not included) and you can still plan things on your own in your free time, or skip their excursion if you'd rather do something else. The first trip in just the ports we didn't see many animals. The second trip on the cruisetour we saw a lot of bears, elk, caribou, whales, all sorts of sea live, birds, etc.

There is a link in my signature of a VERY LONG and detailed planning & review for our cruise tour. Or you can go to my blog, also listed, and start at May 2013 and read without all the CC comments in order by the day. I have the train times, menus, prices, types of excursions, the hotels used, etc. (all at the time) that may help you with you planning.

Planning is half the fun! Plus by planning early you can save a little money. There are lots of suggestions on that in my blog as well.

No matter when you choose to go, you will LOVE Alaska. I do not normally repeat cruises but Alaska is the exception!

Cindy

We went the first week of August a few years ago and it was a fabulous time to go! Most of our days the temperatures were in the mid 60's to lower 70s. The only day we had cold weather was on glacier day, but that was kind of appropriate. We had great whale watching also. I'd go again during that time of year if given the choice.

We went to Alaska the first week of June. We had very nice weather and rain only on the day we cruised the glacier. Loved the long days. Excursions can be pricey but worth it in most cases. And as another poster said, if you can get the extra time add a land tour to your vacation.

Enjoy the planning and an Alaska cruise.

We went in late June and had beautiful weather. Long days. Also went north from Vancouver and spent an extra day in Seward. Did a few days first in Vancouver. Didn't have time to go to Denali. I guess we have to go again! Whenever you go it will be great.

We cruised on the Radiance southbound in July 3 years ago and wore T-shirts, capris and sometimes light jackets, except when on board viewing the glaciers, when we switched to warmer clothes. We added a 3-day land portion and wish that we would have done at least the 6-day land package, as Alaska is stunning and the more time you can spend inland, the better!! We flew farthest north to Fairbanks and toured our way south to Seward to board the Radiance. Remember, to upgrade the Denali portion to go as far as you can into the park, as we saw lots and lots of wildlife including grizzlies, moose (they are huge), caribou, foxes, armadillos, etc. Definitely do the "clear dome" train tour. Later while on board, if available, book the 5-glacier plane tour to a remote cabin where they will cook you lunch including freshly caught salmon on the grill!! That was the best tasting salmon ever!! We stood on the porch and watched the black bears visit the grilling area to forage for any leftovers. This excursion was a bit pricey at $350pp but well worth it and would (will) do it again the next time with visit Alaska!! Bottom line is spend as much time as you can there and breathe that crisp, clean air! Good luck and enjoy Alaska!!;):cool:

we went in May many years ago, the first cruise of the season. We were warned that it would be super cold - we were in shorts drinking tropical drinks on the deck. The good part was we got to do excursions (snowshoeing on a glacier) that you couldnt do later in the season. The bad part was many animals were still hibernating.

Consider yourself lucky. We went first week of May in 2008 and it was cold and rainy for nearly the entire trip. I would never do May again. Next time will be late June/ early July for birthdays.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Weather is a crap shoot for Alaska so you can never plan based on weather. We went in September and had great weather. We even wore just long sleeve shirts with vests on the helicopter ride onto the glacier.

That being said, we had friends who went a week later (we actually passed them at Victoria) and they got rained on every day and it was cold.

We were lucky enough to do the last cruise of the season, which turned into a ten day re-positioning back to San Francisco.

We have done Alaska twice. In 2003, we were the first ship of the season, leaving San Francisco May 1 for a cruise only which ended in Vancouver. The weather was sunny and mlld. On the cruise after us, it rained every day.

Alaska #2 was a land tour then cruise leaving Chicago May 15 to cold, snowy Anchorage. It only got worse are we toured the interior. The last day in Denali the sun came out and we saw the mountain. We liked the longer days and did the Wildlife tour which IMHO, was a boring waste of time.

The weather on the cruise leaving out of Whittier was mild and got warmer the farther south we went. Flew home on Memorial day from Vancouver. An co-worker arrived in Anchorage on the same day to 90 degrees!

We went the first week of May 2016. Pros: we were the first and only ship in the ports, making the towns less crowded for us. Beautiful spring wild flowers everywhere! Saw lots of whales from the ship, but no other animals. Price was good. Cons: It was cool and downright cold on some days. We had 2 or 3 days with rain and mist which obscured the viewing.

Like others have said--it's a crapshoot with the weather. June/July will give you the longest days; May/September will give you the best prices and less crowded ports. Pack for all kinds of weather and you will be fine. It poured rain while we were sea kayaking, but we were well protected from the elements and all was good!