Dress Code: Casual vs Smart Casual??

It has been 5 casual on 2 formal on Allure for at least the past year.

Wow...I haven't sailed since Oct 2015 and they still had smart casual then. Are most people dressing casual or is there still a good mix of those wearing slacks, skirts, blouses, and nice shirts in the dining room?

Wow...I haven't sailed since Oct 2015 and they still had smart casual then. Are most people dressing casual or is there still a good mix of those wearing slacks, skirts, blouses, and nice shirts in the dining room?

There is still good mix, enough that no one will stand out whichever way they dress for the evening.

I stopped bringing a sports coat on cruises in 2009 for smart causal. For me in the MDR in the evening, Formal is a suit and casual/smart casual is dockers and polo/golf style shirt. Except the first evening it's shorts and a golf/polo style shirt.

Direct from Royal...shorts are now included in suggested attire on casual nights.:D

Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, shorts, tees, tank tops, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck.

the website states:

When you’re onboard, the right look will vary by venue. But here are a few types of suggested attire you’ll see, grouped by item .

Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, shorts, tees, tank tops, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck.

Smart Casual: Think of this as a step up from your typical dinner wear. Dress to impress with jackets, sports coats, blazers, collared shirts, dresses, skirts and blouses, or pantsuits.

Formal: Make it a night out in your best black-tie look – suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns.

Some good information posted here, but still confusing, particularly in reference to formal nights.

The links posted to this thread, including a cruise compass, seem to indicate the standard RC code that's been around forever. No doubt, enforcement is more lax than in the past.

Last year, we were in Alaska on Radiance - there was really no requirement as to formal - definitely did not need a jacket, much less a tie. This July, we are sailing on the Anthem. For sure, there are going to be at least 2 "formal" nights. I expect to wear jeans (good condition) and collared sport shirts throughout the cruise at dinner. Are they going to have any issue in the MDR on a formal night with that?

Guess that would be good news.

:D

Anyone else out there has seen for themselves, feel free to chime in.

I saw a post on another thread recently that claimed RC did away with formal nights on all Quantum class ships - sounded rather radical to me.

Guess that would be good news.

:D

Anyone else out there has seen for themselves, feel free to chime in.

I saw a post on another thread recently that claimed RC did away with formal nights on all Quantum class ships - sounded rather radical to me.

When Quantum class first came out, they had Dynamic Dining and no designated shipwide formal nights. Now that they have done away with Dynamic Dining, they also have added shipwide formal nights, at least to Anthem.

Here is the cruise line's suggestion:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

Note that the cruise line does not enforce any dress suggestions, so you can wear whatever you want.

This link above does not specifically say dress code for the dining room or any other dinner venue

This link below mention dinner attire dress codes which says: "Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women"

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

This link above does not specifically say dress code for the dining room or any other dinner venue

This link below mention dinner attire dress codes which says: "Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women"

Suggested guidelines, not dress code

"Suggested guidelines for these nights are:"

That link does not appear to have been updated with the latest dress suggestions. This is quite common on Royal's website.

I respect everyone who enjoys dressing up. I was on a Bermuda Cruise and OMG it was incredibly Hot. I knew it would be that way before the cruise so I packed all shorts and nice polos for all nights expect for one specialty dining night. I personally felt it was appropriate and felt very comfortable and enjoyed the cruise so much more. My wife enjoys me wearing ties so this next upcoming cruise on AOS I'll wear it on 2 formal nights for her and Shorts the other nights