Sickness on Infinity?

phoenix_dream

There is a lot of deep cleaning going on in preparation for the USPH inspection tomorrow. There have been some cases of flu and noro, but not enough to create a full blown situation. (What they used to call Code Red). Books were removed from the library a few days ago and there are no drinks menus out on tables. But Elite breakfast has still been buffet style. There was more illness on the previous cruise, in my opinion.

I was on the previous leg of the Infinity from Buenos Aires to Santiago. About half way into the cruise we started getting daily reminder about washing hand due to a norovirus situation onboard. However, there was no mention about severity of the outbreak. There was business as usual for the ship daily services. However, I did notice staff cleaning the cabin doors with disinfectant, and a hand sanitization stand was set up at the entrance to the theater.

There is a lot of deep cleaning going on in preparation for the USPH inspection tomorrow. There have been some cases of flu and noro, but not enough to create a full blown situation. (What they used to call Code Red). Books were removed from the library a few days ago and there are no drinks menus out on tables. But Elite breakfast has still been buffet style. There was more illness on the previous cruise, in my opinion.

I am so glad you posted this. Whenever I see someone post about using the books from the library on a ship....I always warn them that it is one of the filthiest items on a ship. No one ever believes me and I am usually attacked. (even though it is a fact). THANK YOU. :)

Quite a bit different scenario than our recent 14 day Carnival Pride cruise. Nobody was notified that there were cases of Noro onboard, nor were any precautions taken (other than quietly bleaching the hand rails). Buffet Hand Sanitizing stations were typically off to the side, out of view, hardly anyone using them. In anytime dining, unused glasses (facing up) remained on the table until someone ordered wine. The lido deck became full of sick people, mostly colds, and not everyone covered their mouth before coughing and sneezing. Future 14 day cruise will be on Celebrity.

I was on the previous leg of the Infinity from Buenos Aires to Santiago. About half way into the cruise we started getting daily reminder about washing hand due to a norovirus situation onboard. However, there was no mention about severity of the outbreak. There was business as usual for the ship daily services. However, I did notice staff cleaning the cabin doors with disinfectant, and a hand sanitization stand was set up at the entrance to the theater.

I have always seen a staffed hand sanitizing station outside both the theater and the MDR on every X cruise we've taken!

First chance to pick up germs for a cruise: Using the supplied pencils for filling out forms when you check-in at the cruise terminal on embarkation day.

Last chance to pick up germs on a cruise: When the immigration person hands your passport back to you after disembarkation on the final day.

Other germ borne carriers to consider:

Menus/ handouts for all venues - mealtimes, bars, etc that hands touch - Consider that one is requested to use sanitizer before sitting at a table, but what about the menus? Does the waitstaff disinfect the handouts before each sitting? Never seen it.

Breadbaskets, butter dishes, photos- If you searched photos, you were not alone.

We are not germophobic but germ aware. We use lots of hand sanitizer. Especially after bread and butter passing at the table.

Some lessons learned that are lost from earlier generations. During the Victorian era, ladies and gentlemen wore gloves, as did the servers This was not a fashion statement , but the equivalent of protection from passing germs.

Before tensions in the the 70's, I used to travel to the Mid East countries on business, One of the customs from centuries past was eat only with your right..

"We are doomed to repeat our past mistakes"

Someone posted on our Roll Call that Infinity has a lot of illness onboard, flu and norovirus both. Anyone else onboard now who can comment?

On Infinity now. Been onboard since March 5. Disembarking shortly. First leg coughing and colds, this leg (3/19) colds a bit less but definitely noro. Heavy cleaning daily. They have been diligently wiping rails. Seats. Elevators. Door handles.

First chance to pick up germs for a cruise: Using the supplied pencils for filling out forms when you check-in at the cruise terminal on embarkation day.

Last chance to pick up germs on a cruise: When the immigration person hands your passport back to you after disembarkation on the final day.

Germophobes of the world UNITE! You forgot storing those suitcases that lived under your bed on the cruise once you get home! Also those nasty airplane snack tables before you get home!

Also those nasty airplane snack tables before you get home!

We always fly with Lysol disinfectant wipes in a ziplock bag. The first thing we do on the plane is wipe down everything. Including the seat belt and even the knob to open and close the tray table, and the little storage pocket on the seat. Then we wipe our own hands down once we are done. Don't even get me going about the lavatory.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This has been going on for months on this ship. I was on it in January and it was in full sanitation mode for Noro almost the entire 14 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, sadly it has. I hate to hear this as we will be cruising on the Infinity in May AND October. We'll see how the May trip goes, but, we are traveling with friends in October, so not really an option not to take the trip.

They are doing a very deep cleaning today. Later boarding and cabins not available until 2:30

Hopefully that does the trick

The crew worked so hard deep cleaning on our cruise, it was nonstop every day. They even sprayed cabin handles down about twice a day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Noro is the 2nd most common illness in the USA (the most prevalent is the common cold) with over 20 million known cases a year.

The odds are that on a ship with 3000 new passengers each sailing that at least one or two will be bringing noro on board. No matter how thoroughly a ship is cleaned, that is no protection against a new passenger who has the virus when boarding.

I have always seen a staffed hand sanitizing station outside both the theater and the MDR on every X cruise we've taken!

True but enforcement of the hand sanitizers is nil. People walk past them all the time. The lack of hand washing after bathroom use is disgusting...both men and women. And we wonder why there are germs?

I'm also one that wipes down trays and seat belts on planes.

As long as you have pax who don't practice good hygiene, you're going to have virus problems. :mad:

Just off the Eclipse and noticed many men who didn't wash their hands, just walked out after going to the bathroom. Maybe X needs to station a crew member in the rest room and call it the Pig Patrol.

Noro is the 2nd most common illness in the USA (the most prevalent is the common cold) with over 20 million known cases a year.

The odds are that on a ship with 3000 new passengers each sailing that at least one or two will be bringing noro on board. No matter how thoroughly a ship is cleaned, that is no protection against a new passenger who has the virus when boarding.

And Noro repeats itself. We were in the Infinity in March 2015. TheBA >Val cruise before was really bad. Friends were on Infinity,Spring 2016, same thing. Looks like 2017 is no different.

Noro is bad this year in the community and NOT just cruise ships. Several of our schools in Ventura County were closed for a day or 2 to do a thorough cleaning. Any closed community is at a higher risk for spreading the crud. Hospitals, schools, Cruise Ships, Airplanes, Trains...That icky stuff is everywhere.

And Noro repeats itself. We were in the Infinity in March 2015. TheBA >Val cruise before was really bad. Friends were on Infinity,Spring 2016, same thing. Looks like 2017 is no different.

We sailed Jan 22 to Feb.19 2017 on Infinity. It was sick when we boarded in Santiago but very quickly the preventive measures were lifted and we sailed healthy the rest of the trip. The staff was outstanding.

Chris