Dress Codes, Pre-tipping, and Cash tips at bar?? Silhouette EC in Dec 2017

Imonaboat2017

Hello,

This is our first time sailing with X, and I am a bit overwhelmed by all the information! Would anyone mind please clarifying on the following topics? I keep reading conflicting information.:rolleyes: Calls to Celebrity customer service just add to the confusion!

1. Are sandals unacceptable footwear? I know not to wear flip flops into the MDR ;p, but have read many conflicting posts about the acceptability of open-toed shoes in various venues on the ship (lounges, restaurants, etc.). Also, DH has "zero shoes" that he wears all-the-time. Would these be rejected as unacceptable in the dining areas?

2. I've read many articles that suggest pre-tipping the room steward and bartenders to improve service. However, I don't want to get into a situation where these folks expect a pre-tip each day (kind of defeats the purpose of pre-paid/included gratuities, too).

Is all of this extra tipping really necessary to get taken care of well? The whole reason we chose Celebrity was because of its reputation as a high-service ship!

3. I've also read many posts from people who tip at the bar each time after receiving their drinks (on top of the included gratuity). Is this becoming the norm as well?

Thank you so much for any advice you can give. Our only other cruise was 7 years ago on RCL, and was very last minute. So, we were woefully uninformed on cruise etiquette. Would like to avoid that happening this time!

In 25 cruises we have never pretipped and have always had excellent service. We never carry cash with us around the ship but have written in extra tips for drinks on occasion. However, since we will have a drink package on our next cruise we will most likely carry a little cash for tipping. But remember, the gratuity is already automatically charged to your account, so no extra tipping is necessary unless you have a favorite bartender or bar staff

Also, we have tipped extra in specialty restaurants and sometimes we haven't . It is entirely up to you as to what you want to do

Also, we do usually leave out steward something extra, but only because we want to, not because we feel the need to. We've always had great service .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1. The only time I've seen or had an issue myself with footwear was entering the Captain's Club social hour. Since this is your first cruise, that won't be offered to you so that won't be a problem. I wear sandals in all of the venues. No problem. I don't know what zero shoes are, so I can't help with that.

2 & 3. In MY OPINION, extra tipping is NOT necessary. It's completely up to you. Will giving extra up front get you better service? I don't know. I've never done it and I've always had excellent service. I give extra if I get extra. Let's say I ask if they are going to have black raspberry ice cream during our cruise and the ice cream guy says he'll have it tomorrow. I'll tip him when I go back for it. Or, if I ask for a certain wine and the bar tender says he doesn't have it but he'll go get it... I'll add a small tip to the bill I sign. Tipping is personal. If your tips have been prepaid whatever extra you CHOOSE to give is up to you.

Hope this helps:

1. Dressy sandals (ladies) are ok in the MDR at dinner. Have no idea what "zero shoes" are so no help there.

2. We have been on 16 Celebrity cruises in cabins from verandas to suites, we have never pre-tipped a bartender or cabin steward and have always had great service. In fact we have seen others try waving $ at the bartenders at a busy bar and the bartenders find it insulting. We do tip cabin steward, wait staff, sommelier, Restroom attendants and bartenders at the end for service that we feel deserves extra. Sometimes that a couple of crew others times could be 6-8 or more.

3 As mentioned above we tend to tip at the end but we will tip our "favorite" bartenders mid-cruise. We do not tip extra for every drink; a 18% tip is already in place for beverages & spa/salon services.

Hope you have a great time!

1. The only time I've seen or had an issue myself with footwear was entering the Captain's Club social hour. Since this is your first cruise, that won't be offered to you so that won't be a problem. I wear sandals in all of the venues. No problem. I don't know what zero shoes are, so I can't help with that.

2 & 3. In MY OPINION, extra tipping is NOT necessary. It's completely up to you. Will giving extra up front get you better service? I don't know. I've never done it and I've always had excellent service. I give extra if I get extra. Let's say I ask if they are going to have black raspberry ice cream during our cruise and the ice cream guy says he'll have it tomorrow. I'll tip him when I go back for it. Or, if I ask for a certain wine and the bar tender says he doesn't have it but he'll go get it... I'll add a small tip to the bill I sign. Tipping is personal. If your tips have been prepaid whatever extra you CHOOSE to give is up to you.

Yes, the only shoe trouble I've ever had in about 14 Celebrity cruises was this week, for the Captain's Club Cocktail Hour. I could have solved it with other shoes, if I'd really wanted to attend, and I'm still very happy with the overall Celebrity product.

We've never pre-tipped, but have tipped extra at the end of the cruise when it's deserved.

The men's zero shoes look like flip flops to me. Since your hubby will be wearing a nice shirt and long pants, no one should even notice his footwear. However, going to a nice restaurant, wouldn't he wear shoes and socks? Think of the Captains Club Social and the MDR as a nice restaurant. He can change back to zeroes after dinner, can't he?

The men's zero shoes look like flip flops to me. Since your hubby will be wearing a nice shirt and long pants, no one should even notice his footwear. However, going to a nice restaurant, wouldn't he wear shoes and socks? Think of the Captains Club Social and the MDR as a nice restaurant. He can change back to zeroes after dinner, can't he?

I wish! ;) If he's not wearing the zero shoes, he's usually barefoot. Lol.

Personally I wear Ecco sandals most of the time but have been politely asked to change them for a hellipad sailaway and Luminae. I did manage to sneak into Tuscan Grill wearing them on our last cruise but whilst the Maitre d didn't mind :) my dw did.

Much as I know how your dh feels I sugest he as a pair of "propper" ;) shoes for the evenings just in case - especially for Chic nights:D

I wish! ;) If he's not wearing the zero shoes, he's usually barefoot. Lol.

Oh my, he might have a problem getting into venues then! Can,t get in anywhere in bare feet not even oceanview buffet area. Just take a pair of nice shoes for the evening,then change shoes after dinner!!

They won't be invited to the elite social hour, so that's not an issue. I doubt seriously that anyone is checking footwear in the MDR. This whole issue sounds like one overzealous Captains Club hostess.

The helipad is a whole different issue. Closed toe shoes are required and that is clearly stated in the invitation. Celebrity considers that to be a safety issue. They do not bend on this and they will check.

I think I'll be getting him a nice pair of sperry-ish shoes, and will bring his dressy loafers as well. This way he's covered all around.

Will the zero shoes be ok for the Oceanview Buffet? Are flip flops/shorts permitted in any of the dining venues? I imagine if we're enjoying the pool and want to take a break for lunch we're not going to want to get dressed up to do so.

What is the dress code for the theater?

Thank you for all of the information!

The zero shoes would be fine in the Oceanview Buffet. Shorts and tee shirts are good in the Oceanview but NOT swimsuits.

The outdoor Mast Grill is a great place to get a very tasty hamburger for lunch.

Theater wear goes anywhere the person wants. On Chic night, some passengers are in gowns and tuxes while others will be in tee shirts and shorts (looking rather sheepish).

Been on several cruises and have not tipped up front. As a former bar tender at higher end hotels most of the folks who tip up front cause trouble later in the evening. I can see the logic in handing the steward an extra something at the beginning as a goodwill gesture. My concern is would they think that is all they would get or what extra requests I might make in return.

Hello,

This is our first time sailing with X, and I am a bit overwhelmed by all the information! Would anyone mind please clarifying on the following topics? I keep reading conflicting information.:rolleyes: Calls to Celebrity customer service just add to the confusion!

1. Are sandals unacceptable footwear? I know not to wear flip flops into the MDR ;p, but have read many conflicting posts about the acceptability of open-toed shoes in various venues on the ship (lounges, restaurants, etc.). Also, DH has "zero shoes" that he wears all-the-time. Would these be rejected as unacceptable in the dining areas?

2. I've read many articles that suggest pre-tipping the room steward and bartenders to improve service. However, I don't want to get into a situation where these folks expect a pre-tip each day (kind of defeats the purpose of pre-paid/included gratuities, too).

Is all of this extra tipping really necessary to get taken care of well? The whole reason we chose Celebrity was because of its reputation as a high-service ship!

3. I've also read many posts from people who tip at the bar each time after receiving their drinks (on top of the included gratuity). Is this becoming the norm as well?

Thank you so much for any advice you can give. Our only other cruise was 7 years ago on RCL, and was very last minute. So, we were woefully uninformed on cruise etiquette. Would like to avoid that happening this time!

I'll try as will others!

1) Sandals seem to be an issue on Celebrity. I'd suggest a closed toe comfortable type shoe. Not sure what Zero shoes are.

OK, I saw the pic on Zero shoes. Sorry, they are totally NOT acceptable in the MDR at night. Breakfast/lunch ok. Buffet? not sure. I hate saying it, but they look "sloppy". Dress how you would go out to a nice restaurant, not Golden Corral!

2) Don't pretip! It's a waste of time. Just leave on the auto tip(do NOT remove it!!)If service was outstanding, feel free to tip some cash to those you feel did an excellent job. There are envelopes for this at the Guest relations desk. Service SHOULD be excellent. We've never seen bad staff on ANY cruise we've been on Cunard/Princess/Celebrity. Bad/rude pax? Well don't get me started there! The kindest & most sincere staff were on the Regal in the MDR(fixed seating)I'd cruise that ship again just for the wait staff!

3) There is an automatic tip added to bar bills. They are not part of the staff that share in tipping pool. Spa staff are the same. Reason is not ALL pax drink or use the Spa. As for me, I'm not a drinker. I get Seltzer water with a Cranberry splash(at least it gives the impression of drinking!) I only feel it's justified in tipping over that for the following reasons: Bartender is very friendly & out going. He/she gets to know you quickly & anticipates what you like to drink: "The usual tonight?" is a typical response I've gotten after the first night. We generally will frequent a few bars where the staff gets to know us pretty well. I hope this helps a bit. Do have a blast & please do a review, so we'll know you had a great time!

Edited by keithm
additions

Been on several cruises and have not tipped up front. As a former bar tender at higher end hotels most of the folks who tip up front cause trouble later in the evening. I can see the logic in handing the steward an extra something at the beginning as a goodwill gesture. My concern is would they think that is all they would get or what extra requests I might make in return.

As a former bar server I bet you would know what Attendants and Servers would say if you ask them about pre tippers. I have found respect and politeness bring a higher level of service than throwing money. Next time on a ship just ask them about being respected and pre tippers.

Edited by Orator

I think I'll be getting him a nice pair of sperry-ish shoes, and will bring his dressy loafers as well. This way he's covered all around.

Will the zero shoes be ok for the Oceanview Buffet? Are flip flops/shorts permitted in any of the dining venues? I imagine if we're enjoying the pool and want to take a break for lunch we're not going to want to get dressed up to do so.

What is the dress code for the theater?

Thank you for all of the information!

1) Sperryish(I wear Timberland boat shoes a lot)would be fine anywhere on the ship. The Zero shoes might pass in the buffet, but if he hits a wet spot on the floor, do the shoes get slick on a smooth wet floor? Also there's plenty of "clods" who don't pay attention in crowds. Nothing like a big dude stepping on those uncovered toes-ouch! The flip-flop type shoes are fine in the buffet, again watch out for klutzy pax. At night, I'd stick to the Sperry type shoes.

2) Dress codes in the theater(even on "Chic" nights)is smart casual. This would be slacks(Khakis etc.) Collared shirt(polo style is ok, as well)Shorts are generally frowned upon in the theater. I'll see a few, but not too many.