Change to safety drill.

daiB

Folk may be wondering what happened to those that did not attend the muster drill.

I was talking to a passenger that did not attend this on Ventura's last cruise and it would appear that a note was sent to them requesting that they attend a further drill the following morning at 9 am in the Peninsular room. Life jackets were not required to be taken as they would be provided in the venue. Apparently there was a relatively small gathering of passengers, about 7 or 8 in total and the 'drill' consisted of a reading of the Captains safety speech, being made aware of the muster points and finally, trying on the life jackets. It seems that it was over in about 20 minutes and no bottoms were smacked.

The passenger in question, who incidentally was wheelchair bound, said he was unable to attend the earlier drill due to a medical problem.

Left out

Ships cruised on: Orontes, Himalaya, Sea Princess, ‘Old’ Oriana, Canberra, Pacific Princess, Island Princess, Star Princess, Regal Princess, Crown Princess, Royal Princess, Victoria, ‘Old’ Arcadia, Aurora, Oceana, ‘Old’ Adonia, Arcadia, Oriana, Adonia, Ventura, Azura.

Been on: RMS Queen Mary, RMS Queen Elizabeth, QE11, Caronia, Mauretania, Andes, Begona, Montserrat, Fairsky, Fairsea, Fairstar, Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt, Orangie, Astor 11, Chusan, Iberia, New Amsterdam, Southern Cross, Northern Star, Orsova, Strathnaver, Reina del Mar, Rotterdam, Ryndam, Saxonia, Crystal Sympathy.

125 P&O cruises, 19 in the pipeline.

Glad to see P&O have eventually brought their Safety Procedures in-line with the rest of the cruise industry.

Well done Carnival for kicking their backsides.

When we brought mother in law with us for her 90 th birthday she was in a wheelchair but although difficult because of the number of people going to their muster stations we knew it was important so we made sure we were there.

43 cruises and counting.

They have scanned your cruise cards on Royal Caribbean for years.

43 cruises and counting.

Been on 7 Royal caribbean cruise in the last few years and have never had my card scanned once, its always been an old fashioned pen and paper and your ticked off.

Also on b2bs even with the same cabin you still have to attend both muster drills

Been on 7 Royal caribbean cruise in the last few years and have never had my card scanned once, its always been an old fashioned pen and paper and your ticked off.

Also on b2bs even with the same cabin you still have to attend both muster drills

The point is they check your cruise cards,name and cabin number to make sure you attend.

43 cruises and counting.

This is all about attendance at the drill. Presumably then this system would also apply in a real emergency. There would be no problem sending a passenger back to collect a forgotten card,like where husband always relies on wife to carry it, in a drill, but add panic to the situation and some passengers would be presenting themselves to the muster point without a card for certain. Presumably paper pencil and passenger list would still need to be available.

And what happens, again in a real situation, if a passenger does not turn up. A search of the ship which is back where we started?

David

On the Christmas 28 night cruise on Azura bought as a full cruise not B2B we still had to attend both Barbados and New Orleans Musters'.

I think this is a really good step forward however I think they should make it a ship wide event that ALL passengers attend without exclusion.

It's time this procedure was the same on all ships and when sailing from any country.

I'd be interested to know the ships where your Seapass card wasn't swiped. Over the past 4 years and 7 different RCI ships I can confirm that ours were swiped at every muster drill.

Great news that P&O are now joining the ranks of the other major cruise lines where I have experienced this.

Now they just have to drop the need to carry and demonstrate that you can put the life vest on (nobody checked me), keep the announcements succinct and the whole process will become slick and take very little time.

As for repeat cruisers, the message is clear on RCI that despite you having cruised many times before, attendance is mandatory.

Anthem of the Seas was meant to swipe our cards but had to shout out cabin numbers in the theatre due to a "technical fault".

Voyager of the seas scanned our cards and we got a letter in the cabin saying we hadn't been to the muster and had to attend another muster even though we had been to one.

Princess scans all cards and I have never had a problem.

This is all about attendance at the drill. Presumably then this system would also apply in a real emergency. There would be no problem sending a passenger back to collect a forgotten card,like where husband always relies on wife to carry it, in a drill, but add panic to the situation and some passengers would be presenting themselves to the muster point without a card for certain. Presumably paper pencil and passenger list would still need to be available.

And what happens, again in a real situation, if a passenger does not turn up. A search of the ship which is back where we started?

David

It's not only that, in a real emergency such as a minor fire which was developing. I should not want to go back to my cabin if there was a fire that end of the ship. The important bit is establishing whether people are unaccounted for.

Another assumption people seem to make is that everybody will be on the ship. A moderate to major fire in port, would mean only a proportion of the passengers will be on board and the passenger reconciliation computer system might work better with people swiping cruise cards. In this type of scenario mustering and being advised accordingly will be crucial.

Regards John

I'd be interested to know the ships where your Seapass card wasn't swiped. Over the past 4 years and 7 different RCI ships I can confirm that ours were swiped at every muster drill.

Great news that P&O are now joining the ranks of the other major cruise lines where I have experienced this.

Now they just have to drop the need to carry and demonstrate that you can put the life vest on (nobody checked me), keep the announcements succinct and the whole process will become slick and take very little time.

As for repeat cruisers, the message is clear on RCI that despite you having cruised many times before, attendance is mandatory.

Pete the ships were b2b on adventure out of san juan

B2b on jewel out of San Juan

Freedom out of Fort lauderdale

Adventure out of Southampon and Jewel out of Harwich

Seapass card never swiped once and crew member asked for your cabin number at muster station and ticked you off a list he was holding.

Most of the muster stations were on deck and to be honest have never seen a crew member carry a portable scanner.

Pete the ships were b2b on adventure out of san juan

B2b on jewel out of San Juan

Freedom out of Fort lauderdale

Adventure out of Southampon and Jewel out of Harwich

Seapass card never swiped once and crew member asked for your cabin number at muster station and ticked you off a list he was holding.

Most of the muster stations were on deck and to be honest have never seen a crew member carry a portable scanner.

So strange about Adventure as 3 years we boarded Adventure in Miami for an east bound TA and our cards were scanned. Can't speak of Freedom as it was 8 years since we sailed on her and never sailed Jewel.

On the Christmas 28 night cruise on Azura bought as a full cruise not B2B we still had to attend both Barbados and New Orleans Musters'.

I think this is a really good step forward however I think they should make it a ship wide event that ALL passengers attend without exclusion.

It's time this procedure was the same on all ships and when sailing from any country.

I don't get how they enforce you to go to both. The second is also just the same as the first, right?

On Ventura, the captain clearly stated that "those who joined Ventura today" must be attending.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

You would be surprised how many people can't put on the new life jackets that are on Britannia, staff were good at checking too.

We also did a b2b on Britannia last year and only had to attend muster once. We confirmed this with reception.

Hi, how do they cope with world cruises as regard the emergency safety drill. Bet they want you to attend, but don't provide new slippers and champagne.

Cheers

Paul

My understanding is that under Maritime safety laws, pax are to attend a safety drill at least once every 28 days....so presumably this is catered for somehow on World cruises. I am sure someone will correct me if wrong!

My understanding is that under Maritime safety laws, pax are to attend a safety drill at least once every 28 days....so presumably this is catered for somehow on World cruises. I am sure someone will correct me if wrong!

At least P&O use some of the lounges so you can sit down.

On RC you are often standing on deck for 15-30 minutes while everyone is checked in and the drill itself.

At least P&O use some of the lounges so you can sit down.

On RC you are often standing on deck for 15-30 minutes while everyone is checked in and the drill itself.

This has often struck me as pretty pointless to counter-productive. People who are freezing cold, could do with using the toilet facilities, hearing an announcement drifting in the wind, out doors, looking at interesting things happening on the quayside are not really a captive and attentive audience. They often put shorter people at the front so they can effectively see but most children do not like this and then their focus is on safety in terms of being split up from parents.

Regards John

This has often struck me as pretty pointless to counter-productive. People who are freezing cold, could do with using the toilet facilities, hearing an announcement drifting in the wind, out doors, looking at interesting things happening on the quayside are not really a captive and attentive audience. They often put shorter people at the front so they can effectively see but most children do not like this and then their focus is on safety in terms of being split up from parents.

Regards John

Actually on RCI ships sailing out of Florida, many people complain of it being too hot. But at least you don't have to carry your life vest and if you need to sit down etc, the staff are very responsive and make suitable alternative arrangements. They also ensure that there is order with people in neat lines not like the total disorganisation I experienced on Azura, even though it was indoors

RCI also use indoor venues too, or even outdoor on the Oasis class ships the Aqua Theatre where it is completely seated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually on RCI ships sailing out of Florida, many people complain of it being too hot. But at least you don't have to carry your life vest and if you need to sit down etc, the staff are very responsive and make suitable alternative arrangements. They also ensure that there is order with people in neat lines not like the total disorganisation I experienced on Azura, and NCL Breakaway even though it was indoors

RCI also use indoor venues too, or even outdoor on the Oasis class ships the Aqua Theatre where it is completely seated.

Is this Tapatalk using an iPhone a reliable system Pete?

Lol John

It could well be reliable John but I found it far too complex for my simple computer skills, I much prefer to use the website for posting, to me it seems far easier and has the full details I want.

It could well be reliable John but I found it far too complex for my simple computer skills, I much prefer to use the website for posting, to me it seems far easier and has the full details I want.

I have tried Tapatalk on my Android phones but find it really unfriendly and difficult to use. Perhaps it works better on an iphone?

When you say you found it far too complex for your computer skills, do you think Pete is in a similar situation? I was wondering why he quotes himself and discloses he has used this "Tapatalk" to facilitate this.

Lol John