A word to the wise about going to the doctor on Oceania Riviera

Stevek7

May I add my 2 cents: We used med facility last year for wife who had an issue. Yes, the cost was a little high, about $500. But they saw her immediately, and were kind and thorough. Even asked if she needed a wheelchair to get down there (no). I got the bill the next day, which was clearly marked emergency, in addition to a detailed letter of symptoms and treatment provided, to aid the insurance claim process. We submitted the bill to our employer insurance with the letter. Since it was an "emergency" they covered the bill, but she had not met her deductible yet, so they did not reimburse us. We then submitted the claim to the travel insurance co. -- cumbersome claim requirements -- but I complied with them and they paid every penny, promptly. For the cruise following that incident, I increased the travel insurance medical limit, by $50,000., and it was just $12 extra p/p, We have been buying travel insurance for about the last 15 years of cruising. Thanks for reading.

So here's the deal, regulars complain when someone asks the same questions that have been asked repeatedly on all the boards, and tell them to do a search. Then when someone actually does a search and has an old thread that they either comment on or ask an additional question people like you complain about it.

They can't win for losing. Everyone should just lighten up a little and quit trying to impose their ideas of the way a forum should run on everyone else. I don't think there is anything in the CC rules about bringing up an old thread as long as it's for a valid reason.

There's a very easy solution, and it's used by Cruise Critic's sister forum TripAdvisor. TA locks threads that have been inactive for an extended time...I think it's 6 months. That way the thread is still there to read if someone wants to review what was posted, but if someone wants to post they have to start a new thread. This prevents posters from quoting and disputing and commenting on old posts, sometimes many years old, and rehashing the same things on an old thread over and over again.

It's best not continue discussions about the same topics. There are no new clients. Policies never change. Terms and Conditions never change. ;p

If you look there are really no new topics or very few of them. Re hash of old topics with different wording. Some are worth re visiting as some of us are new and have not seen them before. Just trying to get all this info. out there. :)

There's a very easy solution, and it's used by Cruise Critic's sister forum TripAdvisor. TA locks threads that have been inactive for an extended time...I think it's 6 months. That way the thread is still there to read if someone wants to review what was posted, but if someone wants to post they have to start a new thread. This prevents posters from quoting and disputing and commenting on old posts, sometimes many years old, and rehashing the same things on an old thread over and over again.

That's a fantastic idea.

I was in Auckland and broke my ankle the day before boarding a cruise ship, it was part of a lifetime world trip ha ha

Anyway, medical care is only free in New Zealand if your country has a reciprocal agreement, I was British so it was ok But the ambulance was not covered and we had to pay for that.

I don't care a great deal about the relative cost of healthcare in the USA vs the rest of the world in this particular case - it doesn't matter if you're on a ship that isn't registered in the USA, does it? My concern is that Oceania has off-loaded this care to a private contractor & seems to take no further responsibility for it. I maintain that Oceania HAS got a responsibility for their choice of a medical provider who is charging outrageous prices, & they should be talking to us on this board about that responsibility & what they intend to do about this.

The one & only time one of us ever pulled up lame on a cruise was with a (BINGO!) sinus infection. It was about 15 years ago, obviously on another line. I went to see the ship's doctor & he gave me an antibiotic - total bill was $60.

The ship's doctor is NOT akin to an Emergency Room & you can't pretend that it is in this sort of case. I am wondering why there is not an Oceania representative commenting on this issue. On Azamara you'd have Bonnie weighing in right away...but comparisons are odious.

HOW, then, to get this concern to Oceania's attention? I've been in touch with the fellow who books my cruises, & he pleads no knowledge.

I don't care a great deal about the relative cost of healthcare in the USA vs the rest of the world in this particular case - it doesn't matter if you're on a ship that isn't registered in the USA, does it? My concern is that Oceania has off-loaded this care to a private contractor & seems to take no further responsibility for it. I maintain that Oceania HAS got a responsibility for their choice of a medical provider who is charging outrageous prices, & they should be talking to us on this board about that responsibility & what they intend to do about this.The one & only time one of us ever pulled up lame on a cruise was with a (BINGO!) sinus infection. It was about 15 years ago, obviously on another line. I went to see the ship's doctor & he gave me an antibiotic - total bill was $60.

The ship's doctor is NOT akin to an Emergency Room & you can't pretend that it is in this sort of case. I am wondering why there is not an Oceania representative commenting on this issue. On Azamara you'd have Bonnie weighing in right away...but comparisons are odious.

HOW, then, to get this concern to Oceania's attention? I've been in touch with the fellow who books my cruises, & he pleads no knowledge.

15 years ago pricing wasn't what is today, nor is your salary. That said we had to use the medical team for an emergency, their blood testing was top. If your that unhappy you have a choice, just cruise a line you feel more comfortable with.

If it is not an emergency situation like a heart attack why not just go to a hospital ashore ??

It would probably be cheaper

yes 15 yrs ago DH saw the doctor on the ship (not Oceania)

2 shots of antibiotics plus a course of pills with several follow up visits $500 well worth the cost when he had a temp of 103F

An ambulance ride for my mother cost $1100 to go 400 ft. (correct - 400 feet). Medicare paid $900 - so I am not really surprised for what a cruise ship dr visit cost..

JK

That's a bargain! I had a 1500 foot ambulance ride for a bit over $2,000. Worth every penny! Of course, the charge was almost entirely for the ambulance showing up and the paramedics caring for me -- if it had been 200 feet, it would have been virtually the same charge.

Yes, it was mostly paid for by my insurance. Furthermore, the voters in my city passed a property tax measure that funds the paramedics, and also has a provision which says that residents subject to the paramedic tax will not have to pay any out-of-pocket costs for paramedic services. So the minor amount not paid by my insurance was covered by this provision.

But I still would gladly have paid the full charge out of pocket. I really needed that ambulance, and I'm grateful they were standing by and ready to help.

I don't care a great deal about the relative cost of healthcare in the USA vs the rest of the world in this particular case - it doesn't matter if you're on a ship that isn't registered in the USA, does it? My concern is that Oceania has off-loaded this care to a private contractor & seems to take no further responsibility for it. I maintain that Oceania HAS got a responsibility for their choice of a medical provider who is charging outrageous prices, & they should be talking to us on this board about that responsibility & what they intend to do about this.

The one & only time one of us ever pulled up lame on a cruise was with a (BINGO!) sinus infection. It was about 15 years ago, obviously on another line. I went to see the ship's doctor & he gave me an antibiotic - total bill was $60.

Agree 100% The problem is that Oceania has chosen not to care. They could but don't. Not a good thing for their customers.

My wife and I have taken 33 ocean cruises since 2001. Our last one was on Oceania in January from Lima to Tahiti (lots of sea days)

I came down with a bad cold saw the shipboard doctor. He had me return 4 days in a row. My bill was $8900. I ran into 3 or 4 others who had the same problem and a similar bill.

I have never visited the doctor on any previous cruise--but thought the fee was outrageous. I have supplemental and cruise ship insurance --so it will all be covered--it is still in process. We have been on 6 previous Oceania cruises but probably will not do another. I have never heard of bills like this on our other cruises--Seabourn, Silversea, RCCL, Celebrity,Crystal and Norwegian.

I had an angioplasty 5 years ago--the price was about $2000 more than this. Seems hardly comparable!!!

My wife and I have taken 33 ocean cruises since 2001. Our last one was on Oceania in January from Lima to Tahiti (lots of sea days)

I came down with a bad cold saw the shipboard doctor. He had me return 4 days in a row. My bill was $8900.

if you were DX with a cold why go back to the doctor not much they can do for a cold

I can tell when I have a cold & just stay hydrated & away from others when possible

Now if you get pneumonia or bronchitis where you need meds that might be different

what exactly were you billed for ? seems a bit fishy to me

An office visit I think was about $149 or close back in 2015 when DH went ..certainly not much more

he went a couple of times & the bill was under $200 including pain meds

Edited by LHT28

I came down with a bad cold saw the shipboard doctor. He had me return 4 days in a row. My bill was $8900. I ran into 3 or 4 others who had the same problem and a similar bill.

I have never visited the doctor on any previous cruise--but thought the fee was outrageous. I have supplemental and cruise ship insurance --so it will all be covered--it is still in process. We have been on 6 previous Oceania cruises but probably will not do another. I have never heard of bills like this on our other cruises--Seabourn, Silversea, RCCL, Celebrity,Crystal and Norwegian.

I had an angioplasty 5 years ago--the price was about $2000 more than this. Seems hardly comparable!!!

That sounds excessive for cold meds?! My DH’s portable Oxygen concentrator broke while we were just cruising away from Cabo last year, and we practically lived for a night downstairs in the medical room! I had a wonderful experience with the doctor and his assistant as they were extremely compassionate, and actually fought the captain to let my husband use their O2 downstairs and then use one of their old, old barely working concentrators up in our cabin. They checked on us every 4 hours that first day (and Billed us $75per Visit) and the Doctor even told us to page him if their concentrator failed (it was very old). They brought a new full size concentrator on, in Costa Rica, and then had to charge us for the rental. All in all, everything included, we paid $2100 and it was so worth it! I even wrote up the Doctor and assistant in my mid cruise evaluation, and they called and said thanks! Our insurance paid 100%. Lesson learned, we bought a second portable oxygen concentrator and put it in our carryon ...just in case) $8900 in US Dollars for a common cold, sounds like something else was given, like IV’s, and other viral meds, I am not disputing that your bill was $8900, however it just sounds like there is more Than a common cold. You are paying non insurance price for meds and so it can get pricey.... and yes, angioplasty is very common in the US, averaging 12-18k. (Google it, and you will see costs around the world for it).

I never said it was for cold medicine--I had IV antibiotics and other meds--they also did a chest x-ray--my cold did not go away easily--when I get home I saw my primary care doctor--who gave me some antibiotics and a cough syrup prescription--I was normal in 3 days.Even with all that I thought the cruise ship charges were excessive.

By the way--so did anyone else I met that had seen the doctor.

I never said it was for cold medicine--I had IV antibiotics and other meds--they also did a chest x-ray--my cold did not go away easily--.

it is the little details that make a difference to the story line

Details are important--however almost $9000 for this type of treatment is still outrageous--I can speak for several others on the cruise who felt the same way.

Also the doctor had the same treatment for everyone who had a cold and saw him. It was like a standard procedure for cold treatment.

Medical care cost, in the US an average ER visit can run over $1500.00

Get insurance and dont look back...I use Kaiser HMO which is good world wide, no deductable had ship board bills of $6000, $1300 and$ 750 Submitted to My insurance... 30 days later, I had a reimbursement check.

Many people are shocked when they have to pay bills that normally they never see, and that go direct to their insurance. On the ship you pay and send it to the Insurance, making you much more aware.....

Me I carry a few things, but I am not penny wise and pound foolish... It there is the slightest doubt as to whats going on with my health I seek professional medical advice..... Whats your health worth......to you do you put a price cap on it?

Thank you for posting this. I also have Kaiser (Northern California) so it is good to hear reports that they covered costs for emergency visits.

I would also carry travel insurance as well to ensure adequate coverage.

Details are important--however almost $9000 for this type of treatment is still outrageous--I can speak for several others on the cruise who felt the same way.

Also the doctor had the same treatment for everyone who had a cold and saw him. It was like a standard procedure for cold treatment.

It would be very simple for Oceania not to allow this kind of thing to happen. Maybe they are getting a big cut of these fees and do not want to hurt their profits. Very bad. :(:(:(

Cruise lines shouldn't be making the medical centre a profit centre--especially when, sometimes, it's the cruise line's food that sends pax there.

This should be the one thing on the ship offered honestly at-cost.

Cruise lines shouldn't be making the medical centre a profit centre--especially when, sometimes, it's the cruise line's food that sends pax there.

This should be the one thing on the ship offered honestly at-cost.

Agree. But pray, what must the costs BE for transporting a fully supplied and staffed medical suite continuously around the World?

Better them than me. :evilsmile:

Agree. But pray, what must the costs BE for transporting a fully supplied and staffed medical suite continuously around the World?

Would it be that bad, with non-American pricing for staffing/drugs?

They're not doing open-heart surgery.

Thank you for posting this. I also have Kaiser (Northern California) so it is good to hear reports that they covered costs for emergency visits.

I would also carry travel insurance as well to ensure adequate coverage.

Kaiser paid 60%. Allianz annual travel insurance paid the balance in full, including the deductible. Happy campers here.

No additional set up costs and they could charge what the actual expenses are and not 10 to 20 times that. This is one area that Oceania should not rip us off. :(:(:(