Food on Viking Embla is horrible

goldenrod

The sad fact of a river cruiser having spent an exceedingly high amount of money for a cruise he did not enjoy stiil stands. And I truely feel sorry especially seeing that he changed the cruise line for date reasons (had to I believe). I am sure he would have been happier with Uniworld.

However, mustard colour (is it not always some sort of yellow?, sorry, I am the European faction) I do not consider on a river cruise and lobster and shrimp are no must for a German girl on a river cruise, prefering a trout or indulging in a French cheese platter (in France).

Some are better with grand words (potentially misleading here the customer comes as the price) at marketing their cruises than others. But although lobster and shrimp cocktail are not part of my daily diet I do not regard them as a necessity in the list of things that make out a luxury cruise. Expectance and delivery certainly had a large gap on this cruise with this customer (and it appears to some extent with a few others). I am referring to the comment that lobster is somewhat a standard on ocean cruises.

I feel the company could possibly review the situation on the Viking Embla for future cruises (the lobster was announced but not served), that is what the owner of a restaurant would do if customers uttered their displeasure of what comes out of the kitchen.

It is somewhat easier to do for Viking I should think as they hire their staff directly and not through an agency.

Besides that, I shall not further indulge in adding to a long thread that has some of the most posts in recent years, i.e. one that concerns a single experience (one cruise, one unhappy couple). I shall rest my case and get a cup of tea (English teabag, us Germans are useless at it - allow me to sneer at my fellows).

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

In one post all the pastries and breads were great, in another post the hamburger was served on a stale bun. And I totally agree with the previous poster, I don't pay attention to a food critique that values shrimp cocktail and yellow mustard.

I've sailed this line, and am booked to sail this line again, and will book future sailings beyond that, the food at every meal on every sailing has always been between good and great. I'd rank it quite high among my cruises in regards to food.

What an amazing bore of a person to have been stuck on a ship with for 3 weeks.

Imagine how the poor crew feels???

I think the poster who made the connection with those Viking TV and radio commercials nailed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Quite frankly don't care what others think they were not on the ship. No one we talked to, and we talked to over fifty people, and several that this was their 5 Viking river cruises, gave the food over a 5 except one gave it a 6 on a scale from 1-10 it was just not what we were expecting after all the hype!

Took a survey of the twelve people we just had lunch with today which is day 10, asked them to rate the food on a scale of 1 to 10 eleven said 5 and one said 6, so say what you want, the food has not been good ☹️!

Are you saying in the next 13 days you talked to over 38 more people and asked them to rate the food and none of them gave it more than a 5? That is hard to believe and unlikely.

Frankly, I don't see how anyone should believe anything you say. You agreed to a non disclosure about your compensation from Viking and immediately broke that promise once off the cruise.

You can add this to the list of poster statements you don't care about.

It's hard for me to believe that Viking has so many repeat customers if the food is so bad.

As far as mustard, I've only seen brown mustard in Europe, including Dijon mustard.

Roz

If their intent was to salvage a relationship with a high paying passenger, and satisfy him enough to stop the avalanche of bad publicity, they failed.

What avalanche of bad publicity? Few people are taking this at all seriously. The OP has been his own worst enemy in that regard.

Edited by ExpatBride

Dear God I'm glad I'm not on this cruise. Pot stirrers are the worst kind of unhappy people. Looking at the world from a "Glass is half empty" perspective. I'm sorry the OP is so disappointed but grateful to not have to face his unhappiness on that boat everyday!

I believe the Glass is Half Full and will continue to make Lemonade out of the Lemons I receive in life!

Well, I'm booked on an upcoming Viking cruise and I'm taking it seriously. And, ok, maybe I was exaggerating a tad referring to theses posts as an "avalanche," but thousands of cruisers are part of these boards, and the information gained therein influences the decisions they make in spending their hard earned cruising dollars. That's why the lines monitor these discussions!

I didn't consider any line other than Viking River, and now I realize perhaps I should have. Oh well. I still have great feelings about Viking, can't wait for our cruise, and don't necessarily agree with goldenrod. But I like his sense of humor and honesty!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I hope if you go on Viking you have a much better experience, but No matter what others say we will never take Viking again, and regret we did this time, but life goes on our next trip is on Princess 31 days in a Penthouse suite LA to Buenos Aries we are Elite status on Princess!

I hope if you go on Viking you have a much better experience, but No matter what others say we will never take Viking again, and regret we did this time, but life goes on our next trip is on Princess 31 days in a Penthouse suite LA to Buenos Aries we are Elite status on Princess!

I fear you may be heading for another disappointment unfortunately.

You'd do far better spending a similar amount of money for a more modest cabin on a more upscale cruise line, both for the cruise you've just finished and the one you are about to take.

The main dining room experience is the same no matter what you pay for your cabin so the extra money never translates into a better dining experience, unless you are on a line like Cunard where there is a more direct link between cabin grade and dining location.

I'm still wondering though if you are actually looking for more upscale dining or is it more a case of looking for familiar dining experiences?

You may actually prefer Princess if it is familiar USA style cuisine you are looking for...

I figured that was the situation and you had not signed a NDA.

Again, I hope you took photos of the menus and food and that you will use these in your reviews.

Can I ask you, was it mostly that the right foods were not served or was the problem mostly that what was served was prepared badly or that the food was old/stale? And if it was a combination of all of these problems, what percentage (out of 100%) would you allocate to each in your dissatisfaction?

What was the worst meal of the cruise and why?

Worst was when we were shown Lobster and Scallops on the menu, and they did not have it ever in three weeks! Not even a shrimp cocktail! Or escargot or onion soup! You can get that every night on Celebrity! The fish dishes were horrible and the sauces were really bad! Sorry but this chef had no clue!

Edited by goldenrod

Tonight is the captain's Farewell dinner as most on the ship get off in Budapest on April 19, about 20 of us will continue the trip all the way to Bucharest with a new group, but getting back to the farewell dinner, we were supposed to have Surf and Turf (we were shown the menu this morning) well the food trucks arrived and left! No Lobsters or scallops! So we will have filet with shrimp instead LoL!

PERFECT!

Did it actually SAY lobster or did you assume that "surf and turf" meant lobster - because it doesn't necessarily mean lobster

"Surf and turf or surf 'n' turf is a main course which combines seafood and red meat.The seafood used may be lobster, prawns, or shrimp, which may be steamed, grilled or breaded and fried."

I have had surf & turf many times with shrimp, but in all fairness the menu generally specifies. If it didn't and I was wanting lobster I'd have asked.

I wouldn't have expected lobster on the Danube or the Rhine - but that's me!

Did it actually SAY lobster or did you assume that "surf and turf" meant lobster - because it doesn't necessarily mean lobster

"Surf and turf or surf 'n' turf is a main course which combines seafood and red meat.The seafood used may be lobster, prawns, or shrimp, which may be steamed, grilled or breaded and fried."

I have had surf & turf many times with shrimp, but in all fairness the menu generally specifies. If it didn't and I was wanting lobster I'd have asked.

I wouldn't have expected lobster on the Danube or the Rhine - but that's me!

Yes it said LOBSTER! We can read it was never delivered and they substituted two small shrimp! It was a joke!

Yes it said LOBSTER! We can read it was never delivered and they substituted two small shrimp! It was a joke!

It's strange that the chef would allow that menu to go out to the guests if he didn't have lobster at all. Were the other guests upset about this?

I fear you may be heading for another disappointment unfortunately.

You'd do far better spending a similar amount of money for a more modest cabin on a more upscale cruise line, both for the cruise you've just finished and the one you are about to take.

The main dining room experience is the same no matter what you pay for your cabin so the extra money never translates into a better dining experience.

Amen. The food on our last Princess cruise was poor, and the specialties just decent. That was 5 years ago and our last mass market cruise. It is not for us, and I am Elite with Princess, DIamond Plus with RCI, Elite with Celebrity. All of the extras do not compensate for the lousy MDR and other included food, undrinkable coffee, etc.; also the massive dining rooms, and rushed service.

I'll take the cheaper digs on Oceania, etc. over a Penthouse on any mass market line for the exact reasons stated above.

I believe I'll reserve judgment of Viking River Cruise food until someone else from the Embla responds or we finish our cruise in June on the Bragi. Until then.....we're super excited!

And you will have a great time! Be sure and take your sense of adventure, a smile and enjoy!

I believe I'll reserve judgment of Viking River Cruise food until someone else from the Embla responds or we finish our cruise in June on the Bragi. Until then.....we're super excited!

That's the attitude!!! No matter who I've traveled with, and like most of us "regulars" here, I've traveled a lot with different vendors....some are outstanding...some are not so much...one was dreadful, but most are really wonderful. You are responsible in large part for how good a time you have, so like J'ville Gal said, bring your sense of adventure, a smile and throw in some patience cause you're not at home and somebody else is responsible for buying, preparing and serving your food and then cleaning up after you... life is good on a cruise.....even one that isn't perfect. :wine-glass:

Worst was when we were shown Lobster and Scallops on the menu, and they did not have it ever in three weeks! Not even a shrimp cocktail! Or escargot or onion soup! You can get that every night on Celebrity! The fish dishes were horrible and the sauces were really bad! Sorry but this chef had no clue!

Just curious, why did you book on mid-line Princess? 31 days in a Penthouse suite? Since cost is no issue with you, why not sail with a luxury cruise line like Cunard, Silverseas, Oceania, or Regent? IMHO all with better cusine, better personalized service, and you will enjoy the butler service you so richly deserve. You insist on only the best, and you will get all that and more, sailing with a luxury cruise line.

Good luck, and if God wills, grant you continued good health to live and not die before your next cruise.

"I cruise to eat healthy, and to have a slice of apple pie every day before I die."

It sounds like the chef was not on top of his game and could not deliver the menu corporate headquarters designed. They have to make sure that the seafood is available so far from the coast.

The op's list of desired dishes shows a preference for food served on American cruise ships. I don't know whether the chef had no talent or whether the lack of familiar American cruise food threw a wrench in the op's enjoyment of the cruise.

With items on the menu not being delivered to the ship, this sounds like a major supply chain problem. But the chef should have removed items that were not available from the menu as leaving them on is only going to cause great customer dissatisfaction and even anger when customers try to order the item and the waiters have to tell them it is not available.

I wish we could hear Viking and the chef's side of this situation.