Has Princess bumped anyone from their cruise?

FunForUs

Just got a little concerned when I read on the Celebrity boards that some cruisers were bumped from their Celebrity cruise. My son and daughter-in-law are joining us on a Princess cruise later this year but we booked their cruise months after we booked our cruise so they have a Guarantee rather than cabin assigned.

So my question is: Should I be concerned that they may get bumped? Thanks, Shirley

Never heard of anyone getting bumped (like United Airlines).

Princess usually does "move over" offers and keep sweetening the pot until someone says YES.

Check out TracieABD's move over offer. It was amazing.

2 cruises in a suite, all her $$ as OBC, air fare charges covered, etc.

I pray every day for one of those.:halo:

As others have said, your son and DIL have nothing to worry about. Search this forum for "move over offer" and you'll see that Princess works hard to accommodate all guarantee cabins. I've never read a post that someone was denied their cabin. Sometimes the guarantee cabin assignment may come at the last minute (lots of nervous Nellie threads on that topic too) but they always come. Rumor has it the later the assignment the better the cabin but again, that's just rumor.

Princess understands the auction concept better than United. They continue to sweeten the pot until they get the rooms they need. Got a move over offer once but could not take it as it was pre retirement and we had no flexibility. Would love one for the future. We did get an OV to window suite bump and that was sweet.

Never heard of anyone getting bumped (like United Airlines).

Princess usually does "move over" offers and keep sweetening the pot until someone says YES.

Check out TracieABD's move over offer. It was amazing.

2 cruises in a suite, all her $$ as OBC, air fare charges covered, etc.

I pray every day for one of those.:halo:

You and me both. ;p

We have a 28 day Hawaii and South Pacific cruise coming up in October. While it would be a bummer to have "wasted" all of the anticipation a move over offer with great OBC and the same cruise later (with the AIBP transferred over of course) for free would be pretty hard to pass up. I think it would probably take us no more than a few seconds to take the offer. :cool:

It depends on your definition of being "bumped". I think it's all a matter of how the cruise lines handle it compared to the airlines.

We were sort-of bumped from the Dawn Princess years ago. We were asked to move to another sailing because they oversold our cruise. They compensated us for it.

With HAL, we were bumped from our 2 adjoining balcony cabins to a full suite and compensated with $600 OBC.

With Celebrity, we were bumped from our sailing due to mechanical problems and moved to another sailing on a different line but lost a lot of OBC and had to pay an additional $2000 in costs. Insurance wouldn't cover it. So that one was a loss for us.

I did read that whole thread on the X board last night. Odd. Especially since the cabins were paid for and they are offering no compensation to at least one couple, having simply told them that they have been bumped. They had chosen their cabin and booked the TA cruise over a year ago,not a guarantee cabin. Now others have been offered move over offers, yet the one couple was told that they had been bumped. That's it. Nada. Well, then apparently a cabin was found for them but then their original cabin had been given away And to make matters worse, newbies joined their roll call very recently, leading many on the roll call to suspect that their cabins had been sold to higher bidders, which is why they were being bumped

What a mess.

Oh, and they found out on Monday that they were bumped from tomorrow's cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse or Equinox ,one of the two ship

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

The Celebrity thread and Roll Call is quite eye-opening. The two couples with offers were only given a few cruise dates to choose from, while Princess will often let you pick almost any cruise. The third couple, who were involuntarily cancelled with no compensation, now have two cruises booked this weekend. The original TA and one on a different line leaving the day before. Celebrity did not tell them they had been 'rebooked', the customer found it when going through his online account getting printouts of when his cruise was first cancelled to submit for insurance.

Have never heard of anything this crazy on any line, ever. But pretty sure I won't be booking on Celebrity any time soon.

One other thought, I figure there will be several open senior management positions in the Celebrity Yield Management department in the next couple of weeks.

It was a very close call on the Pacific Princess 50th Anniversary Cruise (the special one with the entire Love Boat cast and all of the Princess Entertainers of the Year) December 2015. The usual algorithm predicting cancellations didn't apply and two days before sailing, (I heard and fully believe) there were twenty GTYs still to be assigned. My sister and I, booked as singles in oceanview cabins, were offered the Owner's suite if we'd give up our two cabins. We did. (You're welcome, Bill.) Friends were offered an amazing moveover offer if they'd give up their cabin. They refused.

The lack of cabins for entertainers and personnel became a running joke among the passengers and the CD staff. Even Alfredo (THE Alfredo) didn't board until Puerto Vallarta. Entertainers were shuffled on and off.

The bottom line is that Princess will keep on upping the offer until they get passengers to give up their cabins.

On facebook posts re United, I was saying that they should adopt the cruise lines' way of dealing with overbooking (even though I don't think what happened on that flight should be considered "overbooking" but rather some stupid mistake of not reserving seats for crew members).

The day before our first Princess cruise, we had received a phone message that started with a no worries, you have your cabin, but we are overbooked and if you're willing to postpone your cruise for a few weeks, you'll get a full refund and an upgrade to a balcony.

We had the lowest category cabin, no hotels or flights (an hour's drive from the port), a flexible work schedule, but we were packed, had our kid's kindergarten homework packet (yes, homework in kindergarten:rolleyes:), and we actually had a friends and family discount that meant the three of us were sailing for the fare of just one person. Which meant someone else got a really nice move over offer.

We're guessing that in that case, they wanted to add security to the ship (there was an upgrade in the Homeland Security color chart that week).

Our other move over offer was for a partial refund and an upgrade if we postponed our Hawaiian cruise for another sailing, but that was the only sailing we could take due to having a kid in school.

You and me both. ;p

We have a 28 day Hawaii and South Pacific cruise coming up in October. While it would be a bummer to have "wasted" all of the anticipation a move over offer with great OBC and the same cruise later (with the AIBP transferred over of course) for free would be pretty hard to pass up. I think it would probably take us no more than a few seconds to take the offer. :cool:

Thrak,

I don't want you getting your hopes set on a move over offer. We took the South Pacific cruise the last two Octobers and did not get any offer.

So my question is: Should I be concerned that they may get bumped? Thanks, Shirley

The only cases I have read of here of people being bumped --

Princess decides to redeploy a ship to a new region/itinerary, so the bookings of the people with the old itinerary are cancelled.

Princess cancels the bookings of individuals to accomodate a whole-ship charter.

These have been done far in advance, but in general the people it has happened to have been cranky about it.

You and me both. ;p

Ditto.....:):):)

Bob

These have been done far in advance, but in general the people it has happened to have been cranky about it.
Not always. We were booked on the Coral Princess's third cruise over Christmas years ago. Her first cruise was canceled due to late delivery. Her second cruise was canceled for the same reason. We were now on her first cruise. Ours was canceled less than two weeks before sailing. Good luck finding flights or an alternative cruise two weeks before Christmas. Princess refunded our fares immediately. I was able to rebook on the Explorer of the Seas but paid $900/pp for air to Florida from Boston at the last minute. What a mess. I was made whole by Princess but got socked by the air. :( We made the best of it and had a nice cruise.

YI think it would probably take us no more than a few seconds to take the offer. :cool:

In my opinion, you might want to wait.

We dawdled, and princess increased and increased the offer some more.

We ended up in a full suite, with all our money refunded, and some shipboard credit.

It's just like a flight. If a couple college kids give up their seats for a bag of peanuts, the airline will never offer a better incentive.

Not always. We were booked on the Coral Princess's third cruise over Christmas years ago. Her first cruise was canceled due to late delivery. Her second cruise was canceled for the same reason. We were now on her first cruise. Ours was canceled less than two weeks before sailing.

Dec. 9, 2002, the same day my employer filed for bankruptcy. It was not a good day for me. We rebooked for Corals's equivalent cruise a year later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion, you might want to wait.

We dawdled, and princess increased and increased the offer some more.

We ended up in a full suite, with all our money refunded, and some shipboard credit.

It's just like a flight. If a couple college kids give up their seats for a bag of peanuts, the airline will never offer a better incentive.

The problem is, you never know what the highest offer will be. So you need to take the offer when you feel it is a deal you can live with. If you wait too long, you might get a better offer. Or you might be told they already got all the volunteers for move overs that they needed. Tough call.

The problem is, you never know what the highest offer will be. So you need to take the offer when you feel it is a deal you can live with. If you wait too long, you might get a better offer. Or you might be told they already got all the volunteers for move overs that they needed. Tough call.

Since my offers have been few & far between, if I do get another I'm jumping at the first offer. :D