11am flight out of orlando; making it?

I live 40 mins from Port Canaveral and when I've disembarked early I've made it home to my 10am staff meetings. The airport is about equal distance. With no traffic and TSA precheck you will be checking in at least an hour before departure.

TSA line alone can eat into that extra hour.

It all seems to depend on your comfort level with risk. I was hoping to take an 11:40 AM after my cruise in June. My TA said that we COULD make it, but everything would have to go perfectly. A late arrival, delay at customs, traffic accident, etc. and we'd miss the flight. The next flight is at 5:40 PM. We decided to just take the late flight and go to Kennedy Space Center. My son, a science geek, will love it.

Mark

Hi all, I have a flight out of orlando at 11AM on disembarkation day from oasis. What is the best option to make sure I get to my flight on time :D?

Don't know when you are cruising, but bear in mind that the Beachline (SR528) form the port to MCO has been closed every morning this week, due to smoke from brush fires, normally opening mid morning, this has caused bad traffic delays for people trying to get from the coast to Orlando. With no rain in the forecast, they expect the closures to continue for the rest of the month at least.

So don't get a rental And drive?

I would not. There's extra wait time with the rental car: waiting for the rental car shuttle to the agency, waiting at the agency to get the car, turning in the car at the airport.

We are driving down and I had booked a room in Orlando for Saturday night cruise departs Sunday April 23. I am not accustomed to the wildfires. Since you live in Florida and know more about these things do you think it would be better to book a hotel right at the port? At this point I don't mind paying more just want to make sure I get to the port on time Sunday. Thanks for the advice!

We are driving down and I had booked a room in Orlando for Saturday night cruise departs Sunday April 23. I am not accustomed to the wildfires. Since you live in Florida and know more about these things do you think it would be better to book a hotel right at the port? At this point I don't mind paying more just want to make sure I get to the port on time Sunday. Thanks for the advice!

To be honest with you, I would book near the port, better to be safe than sorry, the Beachline has been closed from as early as 1am, and reopened as late as noon, all this week, the problem has been where the road crosses the St John's river on the County Line, the fog from the river is mixing with the smoke and causing bad visibility so FHP close the roads until the sun burns the fog off. The fires are not raging wild fires now, they are smoldering and also burning underground, so are problematic to extinguish.

Have a great cruise whichever you decide

Unless there is something special you want to do in Orlando the night before the cruise, I'd push on to the port. Even without wildfires, there's only one main road between Orlando and the port, and there can be an accident on that road that can cause a long delay.

If you have the option of being in Canaveral the night before I would definitely use it. The next morning will be stress free and you will be on the ship early and can relax for the day.

Thank you for the quick response....I am coming from middle ga so I have 2 different routes either through Orlando or heading to Jacksonville down I 95 with the wildfires which is the best option?

I95 only a few minutes longer and no tolls as well!!

I have tsa precheck and I think we have that fancy "even more speed" ticket from jet blue.

So if we disembark early and I call an uber should I be good? Or should I have a preset company ready to. Pick us up; suggestions of So?

And this cruise Is coming pack April 30th.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Unless there is something special you want to do in Orlando the night before the cruise, I'd push on to the port. Even without wildfires, there's only one main road between Orlando and the port, and there can be an accident on that road that can cause a long delay.

As was the case last Sunday, 4/9, when we boarded the Oasis. As previous posters had said, SR 528 was closed in both directions, between SR 520 and I-95, in the morning. We left our house in Orlando (5 minutes from the airport) at about 9. By then the Beachline was open eastbound, but there was a horrible accident westbound ( heading from the port to the airport) involving at least 5 cars and several tractor trailers. I was hoping no one was trying to make an early flight.

Your best alternative is to leave the port on 528, take I-95 south to the SR520 exit, then take that west to SR 528. You will avoid the closed portion that way, but it will take longer. The detour will be set up and lead you that way.

mac_tlc

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have tsa precheck and I think we have that fancy "even more speed" ticket from jet blue.

So if we disembark early and I call an uber should I be good? Or should I have a preset company ready to. Pick us up; suggestions of So?

And this cruise Is coming pack April 30th.

I don't know what Uber would cost, maybe it's competitive. However, I'd feel better with a pre-arranged service.

You may also want to ask for transfer ideas on the Florida Departures forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Your best alternative is to leave the port on 528, take I-95 south to the SR520 exit, then take that west to SR 528. You will avoid the closed portion that way, but it will take longer. The detour will be set up and lead you that way.

mac_tlc

Correct normally, but they did also close SR520 on 2 days this week, and on one day it was open it took my wife an hour to drive the last five miles to 528W

Edited by uksimonusa

There is SR 520 50 and 46 to get the coast but all these could close at any time like in 98

Correct normally, but they did also close SR520 on 2 days this week, and on one day it was open it took my wife and hours to drive the last five miles to 528W

Yikes. All the way south to 192 or north to I-4 then?

For our cruise next year, we have decided to come in 2 days early since our flights won't get in from Calif until after 4 PM. this will give us an extra day to relax then will spend another 2 days post cruise to see DW. . It will be our first time from Port Canaveral.

For our cruise next year, we have decided to come in 2 days early since our flights won't get in from Calif until after 4 PM. this will give us an extra day to relax then will spend another 2 days post cruise to see DW. . It will be our first time from Port Canaveral.

It's nice you're able to do this but I don't think your answer has anything to do with O.P.s question....:rolleyes:

No way would I take a chance on booking an 11 am flight after disembarkation from Oasis. Would never make it...too many variables involved:

Late arrival, packed up security lines in PC, packed up security lines in Orlando, traffic, accidents, wild fires, etc. etc. :o All adding to a totally stressed out end to your vacation.

I am not sure how RCL works, but on my last Carnival cruise if you had a very early flight you could go to guest services and get a special form that would allow you to wait in a specific area in the morning to walk off the ship very early.

I would definitely plan on self disembarking and arranging private transportation. With ship transportation, they have to fill up the bus before leaving for the airport so even if you get off of the ship early you will have to wait.

So don't get a rental And drive?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Would only use a rental if rented prior to your cruise and then parked where you could get to it quickly. Not very economincal, however. Turning in the rental at the airport will also take some time where a personal car service will drop you off at the departure gate. If using a shuttle, you will have to wait until it's full to leave the port.