Tipping yacht club

Viva123

At this point I would like to remind everyone that tipping is a personal choice.  While it is traditional to tip at the end of a cruise or mid cruise and end of cruise when on a longer cruise there is nothing that says you cannot tip up front and at various times throughout the cruise.  How much and when are personal choices.  The reason the crew is there is to make money and they are fully aware of the risk of working hard and receiving nothing.  They are willing to work in a system that has gone on for more than 150 years and there is no shortage of willing workers whose numbers have swelled by the tens of thousands over the past ten years.  The lure of having their salary supplanted by extra gratuities is still a very powerful attraction.  Evidently it is a very successful policy as more and more mega ships are launched and crewed each year.

• Like 1

Another tipping post gone awry.  Many defendable points of view, and no clear solution.  As CGT (content de te lire de nouveau!) points out, there are personal values in question and this thread, alas and again, will not resolve the issue of tips. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zephyr173 said:

Another tipping post gone awry.  Many defendable points of view, and no clear solution.  As CGT (content de te lire de nouveau!) points out, there are personal values in question and this thread, alas and again, will not resolve the issue of tips. 

Ahh bonjour mon ami.  The solution is quite clear...”a chaque personne a son gout”.  For our non-francophiles...”to each person according to his/her own taste”.  
The solution rests with each individual.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Redlondon said:

The whole thread was about tipping upfront not giving a tip at the end.....

TBF, if you go back to the original post on this thread the question was posed in relation to both.

That aside, tipping threads always deviate off at many tangents and there is clearly a 'troll' afoot trying to wind the topic up somewhat! 

• Like 2

On 10/23/2019 at 8:52 PM, grandgeezer said:

Some of us aren't cynics and believe most of what people tell us until proven otherwise. We dealt with these people several times a day, for two weeks, I think we were way past the random stranger stage. There was no amounts discussed. Do you know what the competitors pay? There are three answers, yes, no, I'd rather not talk about it. If they were to lie, like some posters believe in, they would say they are grossly underpaid looking for more, bigger tips. All they said was, over all they were paid competitively and treated fairly. A couple of them worked for MSC for over 20 years, if they weren't compensated appropriately, they would have left a long time ago.

I also indicated speaking with several different including "management" because I was curious how many different responses I would get - which I did of course.  I posed the question once again to a higher ranking management staff member who said they honestly couldn't tell me with certainty but promised to get a written breakdown by our Nov industry sailing in Nov.  As far as tipping before or after,  I have sent private messages to several of the Butlers on ships currently all over the world.  Many have been on US ships. The ones who I have  communicated with all messaged me back that while they never expect a gratuity,  they do appreciate anything that is given when their service dictates and therefore they do prefer getting it at the end of the trip because they know it's based on service they provide.  Most of the YC Butlers are considered "Proper Butlers" many of them coming from 5 & 6 Star resorts in Mauritius. So they are trained in certain protocol....   We too find great joy in tipping for great service and do so generously with the YC crew members!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LauraBCruizer said:

As far as tipping before or after,  I have sent private messages to several of the Butlers on ships currently all over the world.  Many have been on US ships. The ones who I have  communicated with all messaged me back that while they never expect a gratuity,  they do appreciate anything that is given when their service dictates and therefore they do prefer getting it at the end of the trip because they know it's based on service they provide. 

Based upon service that the guest receives is the proper reason for additional gratuities to be offered at the end of the cruise in my opinion.  The messages that you have received reinforces my view.  Thanks for posting this.

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Based upon service that the guest receives is the proper reason for additional gratuities to be offered at the end of the cruise in my opinion.  The messages that you have received reinforces my view.  Thanks for posting this.

I agree.  Tipping at the end of a cruise is a compliment to those who provided the service.  You are saying that you trusted them to go above and beyond the norm.  

The only exception is a longer cruise.  Sometimes it becomes necessary to tip at one or two week intervals if the cruise is longer than two weeks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The only exception is a longer cruise.  Sometimes it becomes necessary to tip at one or two week intervals if the cruise is longer than two weeks.

On long cruises that have published segmented itineraries on which I sail, I will offer a tip to those who deserve to be recognized on the evening prior to the arrival of that end-of-segment port.  Without exception:  I have been met with amazement from those crew members.  (Are you leaving us?  That is the most common reaction that I have heard from the crew.)

1 hour ago, little britain said:

When we booked our YC balcony, tips were included in the fare costing. End of discussion as far as I'm concerned 🤷‍♀️

Don’t you mean the Daily Service Charge was included?  Tipping above and beyond the DSC is a personal choice.  If you feel that the service you received in the YC was adequate and not beyond the norm then it is your decision to pay the minimum.  

1 hour ago, little britain said:

When we booked our YC balcony, tips were included in the fare costing. End of discussion as far as I'm concerned 🤷‍♀️

We just got off the Seaside, two weeks ago, and the tips were not included in the fare. Maybe it's booking through U.S versus booking through u.k. thing. Now it's end of discussion.

I'd have to look at current wording but when we first sailed MSC people here said tips not required aside from DSC.  MSC info said same thing I was surprised.  This was ship wide.

I'm only guessing, but with ships sailing out of Miami on regular basis it is a cultural thing were tipping has been introduced by US cruisers.  I'm further guessing staff has become accustomed to it and starting to expect tips.  Hence these tipping threads.

End of day, feel to do as you see fit for services rendered and not worry about it.  Even if you do tip, it is unrealistic to think you are going to be 'fair' to those in YC or around ship as you run into so many different staff.  The DSC is the attempt to do that.

We were on Seaside for 2 weeks in October in DYC cabin and our service charges appeared at end of cruise on final bill and that was only $350.00 for 2 people for 2 weeks.  Not a lot of money for all the work they do.  My only complaint regarding YC is the amount of workers that you interact with on a daily basis.  Everyone went above and beyond to make our 2 weeks wonderful.  That said, tipping additional at end of cruise is a little frustrating trying to be fair to everyone.  We tipped 4 servers in TSR, 2 bartenders in TSL, 2 concierges, the housekeeper and of course Maria, our butler and that was probably only a third of the folks were interacted with.    

2 hours ago, George C said:

For those who tip, do you tip bartender with each drink ? We normally have done this in the past in suite lounges on other lines. 

Certainly no bartender is going to refuse a tip no matter when it is offered.  Long ago, in the transatlantic era, you would pay cash for each round and leave a small amount for the steward.  Nowadays you can establish a rapport with your bartender and tip accordingly...upfront or during the cruise or at the end.  If I have a very good bartender where I know I’m going to be frequently then I usually give him/her a tip upfront and then one at the end.  You don’t have to tip with each round.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, T&JCruisers said:

We were on Seaside for 2 weeks in October in DYC cabin and our service charges appeared at end of cruise on final bill and that was only $350.00 for 2 people for 2 weeks.  Not a lot of money for all the work they do.  My only complaint regarding YC is the amount of workers that you interact with on a daily basis.  Everyone went above and beyond to make our 2 weeks wonderful.  That said, tipping additional at end of cruise is a little frustrating trying to be fair to everyone.  We tipped 4 servers in TSR, 2 bartenders in TSL, 2 concierges, the housekeeper and of course Maria, our butler and that was probably only a third of the folks were interacted with.    

Good point, I agree 100%.

Tipping above and beyond the DSC is a personal choice.  It is not a cultural thing.  European Shipping companies have been depending on passenger tips to supplement the crew salary for well over 150 years.  It is the way it has always been done worldwide.  It is fine the way it is...a personal choice.

We are cruising in December (Seaside) but our previous MSC Seaside cruise was March 2018 and the DSC WAS included in the fare however we chose to tip our dining room server and his assistant additional as well as our Jr Butler. We only saw the actual butler maybe 3 times our entire cruise so chose to not tip more where she was concerned. We also slipped a few dollars to bartenders we interacted with throughout the cruise. Additional tipping is a personal choice, and no one is right or wrong in their decision to do so. I like to get to know the staff I am interacting with and like to think of them as friends by the time we disembark. These people leave their homes and are away fro their families for months receiving minimal pay. I personally like to help out when I receive exceptional service as I feel it helps them out as well and they continue to make mine and other cruisers experiences worthwhile. 🙂

3 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Well said FanOfDis.  You are correct...tipping is a personal decision.

My conscience would never allow me to not pay the DSC.  That is never an option for me.  

Nor would it be an option for us! Yes, and I am that crazy lady that writes a nice thank you note as well to add to the additional tip we leave for those we tip extra for.

7 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Well said FanOfDis.  You are correct...tipping is a personal decision.

My conscience would never allow me to not pay the DSC.  That is never an option for me.  

I am realizing after reading my first comment that it may appear that I was referring to not paying the DSC... That is not at all what I meant! We tip additionally to those who we interact with more like the dining room servers, butlers/asst. butlers, bartenders etc... I would never dream of disputing the DSC! 

3 hours ago, FanOfDis said:

I am realizing after reading my first comment that it may appear that I was referring to not paying the DSC... That is not at all what I meant! We tip additionally to those who we interact with more like the dining room servers, butlers/asst. butlers, bartenders etc... I would never dream of disputing the DSC! 

Most of us knew exactly what you meant.  You too have a conscience. 🙂

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

7 hours ago, FanOfDis said:

Nor would it be an option for us! Yes, and I am that crazy lady that writes a nice thank you note as well to add to the additional tip we leave for those we tip extra for.

Writing a nice note to go along with your additional gratuity is a tribute to your good manners.  I, too, like to write a note of appreciation and place it in an envelope addressed to the proper person along with my monetary form of appreciation.  I have been told many times by those same recipients just how much it meant to them to receive a personal note with the gratuity.