Tipping...

I work in a service industry. I do my job to the best of my ability to facilitate a pleasant day at work with customers and co workers. I provide the best service to the customer that I can in the situations presented within the guidelines of our company -- because I don't break company policy (there is room for bending). Is it a genuine 'like/love' of my customer -- no, it is my job to do it to the best of my ability. Compliments come into our home office on my interactions all the time. I don't do it for them, I do my job the way I do it, because that is 'what I am paid to do'.

If my wait staff gives me the kind of service that I feel deserves more than what has already been provided through 'automatic tips' -- I do it....but whether they feel a genuine _____________ (fill in the blank -- I struggle figuring out what word some people would put there) towards me isn't my gauge.

The way you describe your approach to your work is what I call "genuine" - a genuine attempt to do your best, a genuine attempt to earn your money, a genuine attempt to give great customer service, a genuine attempt to follow company policy. Very occasionally, we have met people on cruises who don't seem this way. For example, a waiter who was constantly telling us he was unwell with a cold (not exactly what you want to hear at dinner) and kept asking us for a 10 on the survey as he wanted to get promoted - I felt sorry for him but no way would I give him extra grats or answer that way on the survey. I hope he eventually realises that the rewards - both grats and promotion - come from genuinely caring about your job and how you do it. If I was his manager, I would give that to him straight. As a customer, I found it very frustrating because I really didn't want to get him into trouble so I said nothing.

Another way of putting this that I learnt a long time ago is "don't seek promotion - seek achievement".

The other thing is that even if it hasn't been the best service (eg some mistakes made) I will still give extra grats if I see the person has genuinely tried to correct any problems.

Edited by lucymorgan

We tip at the end, to use up our OBC :). We get the drink package, but also tip the drink servers along the way, in places we frequent often (like the MDR and Solarium)- I feel like we've gotten better service since we started doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 3 months later...
We tip at the end, to use up our OBC :). We get the drink package, but also tip the drink servers along the way, in places we frequent often (like the MDR and Solarium)- I feel like we've gotten better service since we started doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ditto, we get the drink package also and pre pay. I always bring 100 ones and tip as we go and it's amazing how we never have to ask. Good to hear someone else thinks the same way!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not for me to offer advice so I will simply say what I do and what I feel comfortable with.

I leave auto gratuities in place and expect that to cover all tipping obligations. Sometimes I give an extra tip to the stateroom attendant if I believe it is deserved. I rarely give a tip to anyone else unless they have done something special or exceptional.

Ditto, we get the drink package also and pre pay. I always bring 100 ones and tip as we go and it's amazing how we never have to ask. Good to hear someone else thinks the same way!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My experience too and they are often surprised but appreciative.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

The way you describe your approach to your work is what I call "genuine" - a genuine attempt to do your best, a genuine attempt to earn your money, a genuine attempt to give great customer service, a genuine attempt to follow company policy. Very occasionally, we have met people on cruises who don't seem this way. For example, a waiter who was constantly telling us he was unwell with a cold (not exactly what you want to hear at dinner) and kept asking us for a 10 on the survey as he wanted to get promoted - I felt sorry for him but no way would I give him extra grats or answer that way on the survey. I hope he eventually realises that the rewards - both grats and promotion - come from genuinely caring about your job and how you do it. If I was his manager, I would give that to him straight. As a customer, I found it very frustrating because I really didn't want to get him into trouble so I said nothing.

Another way of putting this that I learnt a long time ago is "don't seek promotion - seek achievement".

The other thing is that even if it hasn't been the best service (eg some mistakes made) I will still give extra grats if I see the person has genuinely tried to correct any problems.

Very well explained.

I have noticed on our last three cruises the introduction of the "assistant suite attendant" This seems to be a job split between the suite attendant and somebody else helping them. No mention of it in the official guidelines?

Rather than wonder about that, just leave the auto-grats in place and leave it to Royal Caribbean to see that all are appropriately tipped.

We prepay our gratuities and we also tip extra. On my last cruise on Allure of the Seas, we tipped at the MDR Daily to both the Head and Assistant Waiters as their service was amazing. We did not want to wait til the end of the cruise to tip extra as some days we were unable to make it to the MDR.. we also tipped extra at the end of our cruise to our Cabin Steward. We had a beverage package but still tipped each bar tender additional when we got drinks.

We stopped tipping at all - it saves a lot of money!

So every 6th cruise is basically free!

To us tipping is just not a good value for the money spend.

We do not need any extra service so fine with the basic service they provide.:halo:

Glad everybody else is tipping extra so much - that way the staff makes a ton of money anyway - that is how the whole system works and why it is still in place!

Go tip extra and get your extra service......(y)(y)

So every 6th cruise is basically free!

To us tipping is just not a good value for the money spend.

We do not need any extra service so fine with the basic service they provide.:halo:

Glad everybody else is tipping extra so much - that way the staff makes a ton of money anyway - that is how the whole system works and why it is still in place!

Go tip extra and get your extra service......(y)(y)

I think a lot of us hope you get the service you deserve.

As long as you are paying the standard gratuity, and not having it removed from your bill, that is fine.

On a recent cruise, I gave a tip to the pool bar staff, as they took very good care of me, and we had a good time. I also tipped a couple of other people for exemplary service.

I do not tip to GET better service, I tip to REWARD better service.

They're getting $40.50 a day (split among them) from our family of three which is more than enough. If you did the standard 15% that would be like ordering $270 worth of food. This is of course assuming we don't eat at any specialty restaurant or get any pay-for drinks. Those all add additional tips on top of that $40.50 each day automatically.

Leaving extra seems like it's born more from guilt than anything else. Americans are raised that it's proper to leave tips for everything, so when put in a situation where (extra) tips are NOT expected, it makes them feel uncomfortable and like they're doing something wrong. You're not. Go to somewhere like Japan, and you can end up offending the person if you try giving a tip.

With the auto-tips in place, don't worry about it. You are (obviously) still tipping the people who serve you.

They're getting $40.50 a day (split among them) from our family of three which is more than enough. If you did the standard 15% that would be like ordering $270 worth of food. This is of course assuming we don't eat at any specialty restaurant or get any pay-for drinks. Those all add additional tips on top of that $40.50 each day automatically.

Leaving extra seems like it's born more from guilt than anything else. Americans are raised that it's proper to leave tips for everything, so when put in a situation where (extra) tips are NOT expected, it makes them feel uncomfortable and like they're doing something wrong. You're not. Go to somewhere like Japan, and you can end up offending the person if you try giving a tip.

With the auto-tips in place, don't worry about it. You are (obviously) still tipping the people who serve you.

A good part of that $40.50 goes to housekeeping so your figure is way off but there is no need to tip over this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your numbers regarding food don't make sense. The amount you are paying for standard gratuities is not just for dining staff. The daily amount covers your room steward and other behind the scenes staff.

By the way "standard" tip where I live (and travel) is at least 18%, with 20% being closer to the usual in restaurants.

Extra tips are at your discretion. No one is saying that you have to pay them.

Your numbers regarding food don't make sense. The amount you are paying for standard gratuities is not just for dining staff. The daily amount covers your room steward and other behind the scenes staff.

By the way "standard" tip where I live (and travel) is at least 18%, with 20% being closer to the usual in restaurants.

Extra tips are at your discretion. No one is saying that you have to pay them.

I own a restaurant and I can tell you that the wait staff never leave with less than 20%. I still think 18% is fine, especially for auto-gratuity, but if you were very happy with the service, an extra 3% - 5% is reasonable.

Eh. In the US, the majority of people do not tip housekeeping at all. They get paid minimum wage (or higher) and are not considered to be tipping jobs.

However, among people who do tip, the average is $1-2/night. Still leaves lots to go around. I'm also aware these employees get paid far less than they would in the US, but if you wanted to make up THAT shortfall you'd be paying a heck of a lot more in extra tips.

My example was just a simplification of how much you'd have to spend to equal a standard 15% tip with what you're already paying in auto-tips. I'm aware (and I said) that it gets spread around, but that's what they've signed up for, and the amount seems to go up somewhat often.

I own a restaurant and I can tell you that the wait staff never leave with less than 20%. I still think 18% is fine, especially for auto-gratuity, but if you were very happy with the service, an extra 3% - 5% is reasonable.

You know, it use to be 10%. Curious how the "standard" keeps going up over the years, even though food price (and thus tip wage) inflation is on average higher than general inflation. I've started to see 25% as the 'suggested tip' printed on receipts.

It was eye opening going to Asia, getting the same (and often better) service, and tips were not something you do. Really changed my perspective on the whole argument of "they'll work harder for better tips". But, that's not how it works here and it will never change, so it is what it is.

In cruising, the line sets the rate, and the employees sign up for it. That's good enough for me.

Curious how the "standard" keeps going up over the years, even though food price (and thus tip wage) inflation is on average higher than general inflation.
It isn't curious at all.

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/21/adjusted-for-inflation-the-federal-minimum-wage-is-worth-less-than-50-years-ago.html

So while yes restaurant prices have increased with inflation, the minimum wage has not. (Yes, I know that restaurant workers get an even lower minimum wage, but it works out the same.) So the increase in the tipping percentage accounts for the decrease in the wage that the restaurant pays their servers. (And yes, I know that it isn't only restaurant servers earning less than they did in 1968, adjusted for inflation - 40.28% of workers earn less than people in those jobs earned in 1968. However, that doesn't really factor into a determination of whether increasing the tipping percentage is some kind of unfair boon for these specific people we're talking about.)

Can anyone explain why many on CC say that having the same waiter each night warrants different tipping to having a different one each night??????

Well for one thing, one of the things I love about cruising is that I can leave my wallet and my cash in my safe the entire time I'm on the ship. Having to put smaller bills in my pocket in case I ask for something out of the ordinary or am otherwise wowed, goes against that grain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums