Teens and drinking

I'm feeling nervous about my 17 yr old son and his 18 yr old friend on our upcoming cruise. When I was 16, I got ridiculously drink on a RCI cruise. Is it still easy for teens to find alcohol? How strict is it? I also have an irrational fear that they will fall off the ship. I know that's crazy but I don't know what kind of shenanigans they're going to get into when they are loose on a giant cruise ship. Can someone put my crazy, over protective mind at ease? Thanks!

They won't be able to get any alcohol themselves...they'd need to present a sea pass to purchase it, and it will easily give away the fact that they are underage. Someone else would need to be buying it for them...and I can't see anyone helping two teens drink illegally.

As the previous poster said, you either trust them or you don't. Have they given you reason not to trust them at home? If so, then perhaps setting them 'loose' on a cruise ship isn't the best vacation choice.

What you need to do is this...set RULES! Don't let them wander at will....have them check in with you when their "activity" is over...before they go to the next thing. Don't do texts...make them COME TO YOU, so you can see them Tell them where you will be...and know where THEY will be.

They can't buy booze of any kind...but that doesn't mean it's impossible to get...so if you can't trust them, you need to stay on their trail!

In other words...do NOT parent them as you were parented!

It's been a couple of years.....but I thought they gave kids a bracelet of some sort...or was that just for really young children if they got lost for muster drills, etc? Because that is a dead giveaway that they are minors?

What cb atsea said. Start talking about it now and make the rules and consequences very clear. You break a rule and you'll be next to me the remainder of the cruise. PERIOD, POINT BLANK.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

It's been a couple of years.....but I thought they gave kids a bracelet of some sort...or was that just for really young children if they got lost for muster drills, etc? Because that is a dead giveaway that they are minors?

The wrist band is just for young children.

If you honestly believe your son will get in trouble perhaps bringing him and a friend on a cruise isn't the best idea. While it is 21 to drink on the ship it is only 18 at a lot of ports. If he gets off ship and drinks too much and doesn't return to ship on time it will leave without him. Only you can decide if he is ready for this.

I wouldn't worry. I haven't seen any teens drinking on any of our recent cruises. I doubt with all the liability issues RCCL hasn't told their staff it's a "firing" offense to serve anybody under 21.

Not to be forward, but I am guessing it's more than 20 years since you got "hammered" on a cruise. Trust me things have changed.

I wouldn't worry. I haven't seen any teens drinking on any of our recent cruises. I doubt with all the liability issues RCCL hasn't told their staff it's a "firing" offense to serve anybody under 21.

Not to be forward, but I am guessing it's more than 20 years since you got "hammered" on a cruise. Trust me things have changed.

Not quite 20 years. 17! Lol

Booze is plentiful for underage kids.

My nephew went on a couple of cruises with us in the past.

He found a group of others his age that were able to come up with a lot of liquor. Not drinks, but full bottles.

I don't know where they got it from but they did plenty.

It didn't seem like a big deal though.....

You either trust them, or you don't. If you don't, then either don't take them or require them to be with you at all times
I don't think it's quite that simple. I trust my girls. They're good kids who follow the house rules the vast majority of the time; however, they're also tempted by peer pressure, and on a ship with a bunch of new friends (who may or may not have rules /values similar to ours), they may well be tempted to go along with the group. At home I know their friends; I know which ones are "safe" and which ones will push others to do things they know are wrong ... so I'll say, "Sure, go to the mall this afternoon with Cindy who I know is a big drinker", but when my kids wants to go to a party with her, I'll say no. On a ship, I have no idea what those new friends are like.

Sure, in a perfect world, every teen would walk away from such temptation ... but we all know that doesn't always happen, so it's a parent's responsibility to protect a child and keep him out of a situation that may be overly tempting. And /or, depending upon the child's temperament and personality, to discuss the possibility that other kids may be drinking -- and explain your expectations for such situations.

Better safe than sorry -- and I don't mean only alcohol. Talk to your kids about staying out of other people's cabins /not bringing new friends into your cabin. Talk about not walking alone in remote portions of the ship after dark with new friends. We always gave our girls an earlier-than-average curfew, and it worked out well for us. We never had any problems, and I think it was because we were proactive and talked with the kids about our expectations BEFORE any problems developed.

I don't think it's quite that simple. I trust my girls. They're good kids who follow the house rules the vast majority of the time; however, they're also tempted by peer pressure, and on a ship with a bunch of new friends (who may or may not have rules /values similar to ours), they may well be tempted to go along with the group. At home I know their friends; I know which ones are "safe" and which ones will push others to do things they know are wrong ... so I'll say, "Sure, go to the mall this afternoon with Cindy who I know is a big drinker", but when my kids wants to go to a party with her, I'll say no. On a ship, I have no idea what those new friends are like.

Sure, in a perfect world, every teen would walk away from such temptation ... but we all know that doesn't always happen, so it's a parent's responsibility to protect a child and keep him out of a situation that may be overly tempting. And /or, depending upon the child's temperament and personality, to discuss the possibility that other kids may be drinking -- and explain your expectations for such situations.

Better safe than sorry -- and I don't mean only alcohol. Talk to your kids about staying out of other people's cabins /not bringing new friends into your cabin. Talk about not walking alone in remote portions of the ship after dark with new friends. We always gave our girls an earlier-than-average curfew, and it worked out well for us. We never had any problems, and I think it was because we were proactive and talked with the kids about our expectations BEFORE any problems developed.

Yes thank you. It's not that my son is bad, he's just a normal teenager who sometimes pushes the limits and I know from experience cruise ships have a lot of temptations. My 14 yr old daughter will be a dream as she already told us she just wants to hang out with us the whole time. My son has always been more independent.

They're teenagers (nearly adults). If they want to get drunk i'm sure they'll find a way. I know I did. You have to trust & warn them not to do anything stupid but unless you keep them on a leash you can't control them 24/7.

You don't say where you are sailing. In Europe 18yrs old can purchase alcohol. I know on one cruise when we visited Ibiza a good number of teens went off the ship and got drunk. They were visibly drunk on their return, security reported them and the Captain had a stern word with them!

Now that my daughter is 22 and we hear the stories of her "younger days", we found out that she always was able to get a couple drinks on the cruise ships.

Yea the under 21 crowd has a different background on their sea pass card, that does not stop them.

But what is amazing is that when a "tip" "$$$$" from one in a group gets a round for all in the group.

Yea it happens, not to the point of getting drunk, but more or less bragging about drinking.

And in the event one in the group is 21, then they got more by going to different bars

Yea it happens.

Safe travels.

So, I don't have kids, so it's easy for me to give advice :). You can buy a home breathalyzer for around $15. Bring it with and make them use it if you think they've been drinking.... and if they test positive, make sure they have an awesome punishment

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So, I don't have kids, so it's easy for me to give advice :). You can buy a home breathalyzer for around $15. Bring it with and make them use it if you think they've been drinking.... and if they test positive, make sure they have an awesome punishment

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My wife was the breathalyzer in our house. After coming home, they always had to give her a hug an a kiss before heading off to bed. :D

I'm feeling nervous about my 17 yr old son and his 18 yr old friend on our upcoming cruise. When I was 16, I got ridiculously drink on a RCI cruise. Is it still easy for teens to find alcohol? How strict is it? I also have an irrational fear that they will fall off the ship. I know that's crazy but I don't know what kind of shenanigans they're going to get into when they are loose on a giant cruise ship. Can someone put my crazy, over protective mind at ease? Thanks!

Very simple solution for your crazy overprotective mind. CANCEL THE CRUISE!

The fact is if your son or his friend really wants to find some booze on the ship they will. Kids arevery resourceful today just like they were when you and I were 16. (14 in my case :))

Now, if you don't want or can't cancel the entire cruise, cancel your son's friend and make the cruise a family only cruise. It might be excruciatingly boring for your 17 year old but wouldn't it be better to only be worried about one boy instead of a boy and a young man.

In addition, regarding the breathalyzer suggestions above. I would check if it is legal to administer a breathalyzer to an 18 year old who is not your son. And while the hugging breathalyzer might be OK for your son each night, do you really want to be hugging and kissing his friend each night too? ;)

I had these fears myself a few years ago when my 18 year old and his same age cousin were on same cruise. We did let our son have a drink when we were at a port but there was no drinking on the ship (and I would have known). They were able to purchase cigars and I guess that made them feel cool enough. We did set a curfew.

Just set some basic family rules, along with ships rules and let them have fun, as long as they're not inconsiderate to other guests.

You don't say where you are sailing. In Europe 18yrs old can purchase alcohol. I know on one cruise when we visited Ibiza a good number of teens went off the ship and got drunk. They were visibly drunk on their return, security reported them and the Captain had a stern word with them!

It's just a 5 night cruise to Bermuda