Medication?

Guy2073

Do i need to bring my bottles with the labels for my medication or can i just bring a pill organizer. My wife is on a controlled pain medicine and am not sure how customs handles it.

I have always taken mine in a daily organizer. I take three days extra just because you never know . . .

I also keep a list of drugs and dosage with me.

Assuming you purchased them in the US each pill has an identifying code stamped into it so there's no question what it is.

I hope you enjoy your cruise.

you 'probably' could get away with just an organizer but ask yourself a question. if she passes out and the doctors need to know what medications she is on and the exact dose, will you know of the top of your head? if you are panicking, will you remember

I bet there are a few that might be asked about controlled substances but for the most part they probably wont ask.

for piece of mind I would bring the bottles or a prescription list from the pharmacy

its just insurance

I put the pharmacy's patient info from each med in the zippered outside pocket of my carry on. I've never needed mine, but it's good insurance. I use daily pill boxes, and put my prescription meds and my vitamins in one. Never s problem.

I have an iPhone. On the notepad is a list of everything I take, with strengths and dosage. My phone goes with me so I always have access to the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

. My phone goes with me so I always have access to the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

and if your unconscious, can the doctor access your phone for the info? does the person with you have your passcode if you have one... just food for thought. Just make sure someone can access the info if you cant

Do i need to bring my bottles with the labels for my medication or can i just bring a pill organizer. My wife is on a controlled pain medicine and am not sure how customs handles it.

No you don't.

It is always a good idea to bring controlled substances in prescription containers. Those pills are illegal to possess without a prescription and your bottle is your proof of prescription. My bf is on them and we always bring a weekly container for everything else, but still do the controlled substances in original container.

IMO it's unlikely to be questioned - and much more likely at the airport than at customs. But we feel better bringing the containers for those just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I never recommend removing meds from the original containers. There are numerous details that are totally missed by too many people.

Having a "list" is only partial information, that a health care provider might need. There also can be drug interactions between stored drugs, and the tinted containers are there there for a reason with several drugs as well. I never have think about "convenience" with my travels when it pertains to medications.

I am on eight different medications. I bought an empty shaving kit. I take all eight of mine in the original bottles in that kit and have it in my carry-on. If anything happens and we are away from home longer than the cruise, I don't have to worry about not having enough meds. That kit doesn't take up hardly any room and I feel safer knowing I'm covered.

You can go to http://www.medids.com/free-id.php#.WRBHBhE7EvQ

and make an ID card for free that has all of your meds with the dosage, and any other pertinent information. I carry one in my wallet and DW carries a copy too.

Edited by RWolver672
Added card info

I use one of those daily pill organizer things. No one has ever questioned, but in case there is any question of my meds, I have a picture on my phone of all the bottles lined/stacked up that show all pertinent information.

US Customs won't question at all BUT depending where you are going her drug while legal in the US may be illegal (as in jail, deportation etc) in other countries. Not trying to scare you but you need to seriously look into it.

Normal RX drugs are fine in your daily pill box, any scheduled drug needs to be in the original bottle and have a copy of the Dr prescription with you. Your wife "controlled" pain meds are possible an issue. But many people travel daily with these just do some research first.

Note: the cruiseline and US Customs does not care. It's other countries where there is possibly an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums