Specialty restaurants with a 3 year old

Anyone who claims their 3 year old can sit through a 3 hour dinner, in an adult environment, is deluding themselves. Walking around the table, speaking loudly, whining over crayons, noticeably fidgeting so much it becomes a spectacle is normal behavior for a well behaved child of three years old. That is not to say that it is appropriate or fair to the other adult passengers in that specific venue.

We tend to cruise on longer itineraries and in the winter and during non school holiday time, hence we see very few children on our X cruises. The only cruise on X where we saw more children than usual was a week to Alaska in the summer. That was back before the days of specialty dining, so I can't comment on that cruise. Only once that I can remember did we see children in any of the specialty restaurants, and on that occasion it was the adults that needed to remember where they were. The children were very well behaved. I don't agree with the previous poster that suggested folks avoid cruising X because of their change in policy of allowing children in specialty dining. We do tend to dine late, and maybe that is another factor in seeing few children in the specialties, but I think, for the most part, parents know their children and their limits. While I like enjoying my time in specialty restaurants, I trust that parents treating their children to specialty dining have done so before and generally are nice families with well travelled, well behaved children. I have seen way more adults behaving badly that I have seen out of control children on X cruises.

I would say that it is unreasonable to expect even the most well behaved 3 year old to remain quiet and respectful for a 2 to 3 hour period of time (typical for a specialty restaurant on a cruise ship). Why would you wish to subject a toddler to this, let alone to the guests who have opted to enhance the experience of their vacation, often to celebrate a special event. I am a parent, and personally would not attempt this with a child this young. If you are cruising with a group maybe someone can spend the evening with the child, or alternatively look into babysitting service. It is not just your experience you are affecting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It really is absurd how many people feel someone should alter their plans to make others feel comfortable. Unless you are paying for the cruise, I would care less on your opinion on the appropriate place to dine with my child. Of course, I should be considerate of others if my child starts to misbehave and leave.

Why do people expect a luxury cruise ambience and experience on a mass cruise line budget?

I happily remain the pariah.

I do not think it is unreasonable that there should be one or two places on a ship, one of which is a specialty dining venue, that remain young child free. I do not think it is my responsibility to find another dining venue if a toddler is in the restaurant for which I am paying $100. If said toddler is perfectly behaved, then I have no problem, but honestly, that is by no means the certainty that so many simply assume here.

And yes, my opinion is a bit tainted by the 8 (at least) nights out of 15 on Constellation last month that we shared the MDR with a darling toddler who made a mockery of the whole experience, running into diner's legs, charging full bore into waiter's carrying trays of 8-10 entrees, screaming at the height of his delightful little voice to the smiles (not) of the 40 or 50 tables he affected.

Thankfully the next 15 nights were brat-free in Luminae.

We were on Millieium in January dining in Luminae. A lovely family from Australia with 3 children were in a penthouse suite and dinning in Luminae. Their children were very well mannered. We are now on Solstice dining in Luminae. You will never guess. I saw children again in Luminae.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Forums mobile app

We were on Millieium in January dining in Luminae. A lovely family from Australia with 3 children were in a penthouse suite and dinning in Luminae. Their children were very well mannered. We are now on Solstice dining in Luminae. You will never guess. I saw children again in Luminae.

The difference is that Luminae is the daily dining venue for suite guests. the OP was asking about specialty restaurants, which the patrons of are spending a sometimes not insignificant upcharge to eat in, on top of their cost of cruising. I have nothing against children in restaurants, but I think that the age of the child should be a contributing factor in the decision as well as the location.

You miss this monstrous nuance

From Websters:

Brat: an ill-mannered annoying child

Child: a young person especially between infancy and youth

Of course, your extensive experience makes my posing worthless. Children never misbehave.

Yes children an adult's can be horrible. And I do feel for your​ experience in the MDR. I misunderstood your last sentence. I thought you were talking about a upcoming cruise. My statement was saying that children will be dinning in Luminae. I'm sorry.

Anyone who claims their 3 year old can sit through a 3 hour dinner, in an adult environment, is deluding themselves. Walking around the table, speaking loudly, whining over crayons, noticeably fidgeting so much it becomes a spectacle is normal behavior for a well behaved child of three years old. That is not to say that it is appropriate or fair to the other adult passengers in that specific venue.

It should never be expected that a 3 year old can sit through a 2 1/2 to 3 hour dining experience. This is quite normal in terms of their development. Get a sitter or send the three year old to a Kids Club and everyone will be happy and content.

See. originally Celebrity did not allow small children in the specialty restaurants. There was a reason for that. Kind of made sense, since although everyone has perfectly well-behaved children, we never seem to see them. Had a 4 year old run totally amok on Constellation last month in the MDR. No action by parents, and, of course, no action whatsoever by staff. They are so trained to kowtow to every pax wish and whim that they let insane situations like that go.

So I am going to go to a specialty restaurant, pay anywhere between $75 to $100 premium, and share the experience with a toddler who may, or most importantly may not, behave.

And the worst part is, I am the bad guy according to many on here if I don't think that is appropriate.

And people want to tout Celebrity as "an upscale experience."

Not.

you are NOT the bad guy.

it is unreal that a question like that is even posted..

modern luxury, fine dining...where in that do you interpret it is for toddlers....

give us a break....its enough we have to put up with toddlers elsewhere...

yes I know celeb is marketing to families, just hope for one ship...just one that could be for adults only...yes I know, I can keep dreaming and thinking that maybe, just maybe the place is in the specialty restaurant...

whenever you encounter an experience on the ship that you are not enjoying and staff are doing nothing about it...take it further...do not let it go...only by doing that, will change be made..rules will be enforced...or maybe even changed...

you are NOT the bad guy.

it is unreal that a question like that is even posted..

modern luxury, fine dining...where in that do you interpret it is for toddlers....

give us a break....its enough we have to put up with toddlers elsewhere...

yes I know celeb is marketing to families, just hope for one ship...just one that could be for adults only...yes I know, I can keep dreaming and thinking that maybe, just maybe the place is in the specialty restaurant...

whenever you encounter an experience on the ship that you are not enjoying and staff are doing nothing about it...take it further...do not let it go...only by doing that, will change be made..rules will be enforced...or maybe even changed...

Actually, the OP asked what Celebrity's policy was and did not ask people for opinions. This is what this forum if for last time I checked. :rolleyes:

Actually, the OP asked what Celebrity's policy was and did not ask people for opinions. This is what this forum if for last time I checked. :rolleyes:

The OP posted that they could not find a policy, and therefore, would it be OK to bring a 3 year old to a specialty restaurant.

While there may be no firm policy, there is an element of consideration that should be considered. If not for the child involved, then for the fellow guests.

The OP posted that they could not find a policy, and therefore, would it be OK to bring a 3 year old to a specialty restaurant.

While there may be no firm policy, there is an element of consideration that should be considered. If not for the child involved, then for the fellow guests.

But many are jumping to the conclusion that (1) the little one is going to make a fuss, (2) if the little one makes a fuss the mother will ignore it and (3) that the mother intends on spending 2 or 3 hours for the dinner. Guess what, folks could be wrong on all three counts. Not all kids are alike. I've gone to dinner with my neighbor's just turned three year old grandson and he was fantastic, never fussed, never got up out of his seat during the whole 1 1/2 dinner.

But many are jumping to the conclusion that (1) the little one is going to make a fuss, (2) if the little one makes a fuss the mother will ignore it and (3) that the mother intends on spending 2 or 3 hours for the dinner. Guess what, folks could be wrong on all three counts. Not all kids are alike. I've gone to dinner with my neighbor's just turned three year old grandson and he was fantastic, never fussed, never got up out of his seat during the whole 1 1/2 dinner.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments.

Let me add that in March we had a 12-person family cruise on the Allure that included a four year old and an 18 month old. We ate nightly in the MDR and not once did the two youngest grandchildren cause any type of fuss or disturbance. While we didn't eat with them in any of the specialty restaurants, for a variety of reasons unrelated to the topic under consideration, I've no reason to believe that they would have magically turned into screaming, unmanageable brats simply because we had to pay for the meal.

As posts have pointed out there is a policy and a kids menu.

And I contend that you are making more jumps to conclusions than anyone here.

If I had never encountered a misbehaved child in a dining venue than maybe you would have a point. Since I have, fairly often, right up to and including my experience last month, I don't you have a leg to stand on.

I am going to be on a Baltic Cruise in June with my three year old daughter. I'm wondering if I can take her to the specialty restaurants. She is a very well behaved child who is used to dining in restaurants. She also has a very good palette and will eat almost anything. Just wondering if we would be comfortable at Qsine, etc. We will be on Silhouette.

I can't find Celebrities policy and they seem like they charge full price for children. Not a problem, just curious if anyone knows or has taken small children to these restaurants.

We do 14 day trips on the Eclipse. Due to the cruise length, there are few children the age of your daughter. That being said we've seen a few in the Specialty rest. I'd kind of think Qsine would be more fun, due to the interactive menu & foods from around the world. My only question is..The time frame generally runs 3 hours(or more). Can your daughter be kept entertained that long? If yes, the Qsine would definitely be the most fun. Order the Tombstone dessert. If either of you like Chocolate, you'll love it!

Just as I would not see a toddler at an upscale restaurant in the evening in the city, no matter how well behaved, I dont want to see them in the specialty restaurant for which I am paying a premium. But of course if Celeb allows toddlers, then this is NO longer an upscale venue and I would boycott it, stating my reasons why.

If enough did that, it would go back to being an elegant dining experience , for adults.