Muster drill question/help

moongal

How does one go about getting a special dispensation to attend a "handicapped" or indoor seated muster drill?

The closer it gets to our sail away date the more I am stressing about the muster drill. On my last cruise on the Liberty last July out of Galveston it was a nightmarish torture. For one thing I am massively claustrophobic. I can't go in elevators, if I absolutely have to I feel like I am going to die and completely panic.

When I attended my last muster drill they crammed us all like sardines into an outside deck somewhere but there was something blocking the view to the outside, I'm not sure if it was a lifeboat or what, I was getting in such a panic at being stuffed in rows and more and more people in and around me so that we were all smushed in and touching (nasty sweaty lot of us because the heat was unbearable as there wasn't a bit of air moving....as it was July in Texas)

I can't help but start to feel panicky about being all crammed in there again. (I know....irrational fear....but it is what it is)

Can I request the indoor seated muster drill? Is panic attack a good enough reason? I don't even get anything out of the drill because I am too panicky feeling to be paying any attention. Also if we ever did have to abandon ship there is no way in heck I'd ever get in one of those closed in life boats. Id rather take my chances with swimming. (I'm a strong swimmer and can easily float along in my life jacket)

How does one request this? Any suggestions? I had been planning to hide out in my room and skip it but then I have been reading about they are scanning people in now and I don't want to get kicked off the ship for skipping. (And not fair to the poor people waiting for the darn thing to start)

Btw we will be on the Valor (June sailing) which if I had to guess the muster drill will be similar to Liberty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And why did you choose to cruise? Not to sound harsh but you should have thought of these things before putting down your deposit.

Every ship has a accessible muster station/area, you may want to reach out to special needs department now than wait and try to plead your case once on board.

Guest Access team at 1-800-438-6744 ext.70025

I really feel bad for you since a cruise is not your best choice. Good luck.

Edited by PattBenatar
contact info

As I recall, the muster drill on the Valor, at least for our sailing and cabin was inside. I could be mis-remembering but I don't recall being outside for a drill since the Sunshine a couple of years back now. but do contact Special Needs for assistance.

You can, in advance, contact the Special Needs Department. With my DH, I would also go to Guest Services upon boarding and they would tell us where we would then meet for the alternative location for the safety drill (he was on oxygen, etc. - so it was complicated to smush him in with regular drills).

They always were kind, let us know where to be. We would go there EARLY to avoid crowds. Also, sometimes they released the special needs area early to get them onto elevators (which, btw, I let HIM go on, I walked stairs - so as to keep as much room as possible in the elevators for those truly needing them). If they didn't, we would find a spot and wait until well after the crowds from the drill dispersed.

Don't be afraid to let Guest Services (and Special Needs) help you. You'll find they are amazing people.

Happy Cruising!

Thank you for the info. Cruising is actually a great choice for me. I cannot fly because of my extreme claustrophobia, not afraid at all of actual flying but being closed up in the airplane is too much for me.

Cruising is the most fun I have had in years ever since I discovered it and can go out of my home port , no flying required.

My very first cruise was on the Magic and the muster drill was no problem at all. It was held in some interior conference room of some sort (where my station was) and we were not crammed in so tightly and it was fairly quick. So on my next cruise I was not prepared for the scenario that played out and to be honest I don't think it is right that they should treat paying customers in such a way.

I understand the need for the drill but to have people herded in so close and made to stand so long in the heat was untenable and not right. There was a woman whose child was overheated I'm assuming because he started to pass out, we all crowded ourselves together even more to give the poor person a little breathing space and some air and the mother was pleading and begging to be released or a glass of water but it fell on deaf ears of the drill employees. It went on so long before they even started the drill that people started getting unruly and shouting for them to get it underway. All in all a terrible experience and I don't think I should have to give up a fun vacation because it is so poorly executed. Also I am not going to give up on cruising just because I have to endure an hour of torture at the outset , this is a trade off I am willing to make but since it was mentioned that there might be an alternative I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I feel your pain! Unfortunately, the biggest reason for the delay in getting the drill started are the clowns they have to be found and dragged to the muster. If everyone could be responsible and get to their stations on time it would be a fairly painless process. If Carnival doesn't allow you to join others who are disabled in an interior area then you might be stuck going on classes of ships that do the drills inside (Dream/Vista?).

After 27 Carnival cruises and 40 total cruises, I go to the muster drill and sit while they do the safety talk and then when we have to go to the lifeboats, I just tell a crew member that I can't stand for any length of time and I can just wait and another crew member will come by and take down my cabin number. When the muster drills occur right at the lifeboats, I go tell the crew member taking attendance my name and my issues and I am told to go inside and sit down. Never a problem in all those cruises, so don't fret over this at all. The crew are very understanding. My husband does the usual muster drill or sometimes he waits with me inside. You just need to make sure your name gets taken that you were there.

Anxiety and claustrophobia are significant issues. I am in agreement with calling Special Needs and then taking part in the Special Needs muster drill. Honestly, if the drill triggers these issues, just imagine with the real event would cause. You will need to be where you can get the specialized attention that you would require in a real event.

Would some coping strategies help you? Maybe? I feel your pain! Usually, on embarkation day, I inevitably have a migraine if I've flown in that morning. So I've got a hideous headache, I'm feeling nauseated, I'm worried about overheating, and completely skeeved out by all the sweaty bodies that are touching me. And the loudspeakers are about 100X louder than they need to be. They sound like a jackhammer. Painful. GET ME OUT OF THIS PLACE!

My situation is different from yours, but with the help of some inconspicuous earplugs, and dark sunglasses, I try to tune it all out. I stand there with my eyes screwed shut, and Think Happy Thoughts. I start with an A-to-Z list of all of the fun things I'm going to do. When I finish that, I do an A-to-Z list of all of the things I'm going to eat! Then the things I'm going to see on the cruise.

I don't think they'll let you wear headphones or earbuds & listen to calming music. You're supposed to be paying rapt attention to the drill instructions. Good luck sweetie. :hearteyes:

Just my experience. I went on a cruise with a condition where I could not stand for long periods (could walk but standing very difficult) I did all the things that were suggested - called guest with special needs, spoke to someone at guest services immediately after boarding and then told my steward. I was told on the ship that they could not arrange a place for me to sit for the drill (Conquest) but to stay in my cabin. Still I had to listen to my cabin # being called when I didn't show up and answer the door several times when people came to tell me to go up. IMO they do not have a good system for handling guests with disabilities for muster drills.

This is what I do. My husband and I can not stand for long periods. So, when the muster drill sounds we asked the staff in the hallways where the handicap muster station is and they direct us. You don't have to contact Special Needs for this. We did this on the Freedom, April 15th, and now the staff goes to each table and checks you in. That's it.

Some of the ships have their muster drill inside and you never get crammed in anywhere. But no matter where, don't stress. This is easy. On the Freedom, we went to the middle dining room. We just waited and a staff member came to our table, took our sign and sail card, wrote down the info and that was that.

Muster over, time to cruise!

Thank you so much for all the kind replies! I was afraid most people would poke fun or make snide remarks. I will try all of your suggestions, and somehow just knowing that others out there (for different reasons ) find muster drill difficult makes me feel better and that I can handle it since I am not alone.

So I will try to find the handicapped station and if that fails I will try Mary Ellen1's suggestion to close my eyes and zone out in my head to get through it. [emoji4]

Our last drill was inside and my mother who is handicapped was well taken care of. They simply took her cabin # while she sat. As for being paniked about small spaces...I feel you.. My husband is sympathetic to it. I just turn and face him and put my head to his chest and he constantly rubs me for calmness.

I have mobility issues in that I cannot stand for a long period of time, especially having to wait for the idiots who try to avoid it.

As soon as they see me with my seat-cane, I am ushered into another room where they do the drill from there. I give them my cabin #, but since I am almost always with my DH, I tell them they do not have to find me to give assistance.

The handicapped area is the first to be released.

My wife has trouble standing for long periods of time so she asks one of the crew assigned to the drill where she can go to sit for the drill. They are always very helpful and take her to the special place--while I go to the regular assigned place.

You should relax and it will not be a problem--at least in our experience.

Enjoy.

Just to add in; I've cruises carnival, NCL, and celebrity; and of those carnival is the only one that makes you stand out on deck for a hour for muster drill. NCL and celebrity both host musters inside, often in a venue with plenty of seating (i.e., the theater). While I don't know what your options on with your carnival cruise, just be aware that other lines do things differently. I don't have claustrophobia or anxiety issues and thought carnivals muster was torture.

But yes, you are correct that hiding in your room isn't an option. You'll be removed at the next port if you skip the muster and/or make up drills.

If you are "stuffed" in a space you don't like...LEAVE IT... Push your way to the front, if needed....and stand outside of the crowd. There is plenty you can do on your own. No need to be ensconced where you're not comfortable! I don't think you need "special needs" for your issue...just do what makes you more comfortable! Don't get there too early, or you may be "in the back"

As far as elevators...you aren't allowed in them in an emergency...so that shouldn't be an issue, either.

My son has autism, we always ask guest services for the drill for people with special needs, it's usually in one of the dining room.

As I recall, the muster drill on the Valor, at least for our sailing and cabin was inside. I could be mis-remembering but I don't recall being outside for a drill since the Sunshine a couple of years back now. but do contact Special Needs for assistance.

I've been on the Valor twice, the last time about three years ago. Both safety drills, for me, were out by the lifeboats. Special needs guests would have their own space(s), but I think all cabins on the Valor have their regular muster stations by the boats.

If you are "stuffed" in a space you don't like...LEAVE IT... Push your way to the front, if needed....and stand outside of the crowd. There is plenty you can do on your own. No need to be ensconced where you're not comfortable! I don't think you need "special needs" for your issue...just do what makes you more comfortable! Don't get there too early, or you may be "in the back"

As far as elevators...you aren't allowed in them in an emergency...so that shouldn't be an issue, either.

Please don't do that. Be kind. :halo:

How does one go about getting a special dispensation to attend a "handicapped" or indoor seated muster drill?

The closer it gets to our sail away date the more I am stressing about the muster drill. On my last cruise on the Liberty last July out of Galveston it was a nightmarish torture. For one thing I am massively claustrophobic. I can't go in elevators, if I absolutely have to I feel like I am going to die and completely panic.

When I attended my last muster drill they crammed us all like sardines into an outside deck somewhere but there was something blocking the view to the outside, I'm not sure if it was a lifeboat or what, I was getting in such a panic at being stuffed in rows and more and more people in and around me so that we were all smushed in and touching (nasty sweaty lot of us because the heat was unbearable as there wasn't a bit of air moving....as it was July in Texas)

I can't help but start to feel panicky about being all crammed in there again. (I know....irrational fear....but it is what it is)

Can I request the indoor seated muster drill? Is panic attack a good enough reason? I don't even get anything out of the drill because I am too panicky feeling to be paying any attention. Also if we ever did have to abandon ship there is no way in heck I'd ever get in one of those closed in life boats. Id rather take my chances with swimming. (I'm a strong swimmer and can easily float along in my life jacket)

How does one request this? Any suggestions? I had been planning to hide out in my room and skip it but then I have been reading about they are scanning people in now and I don't want to get kicked off the ship for skipping. (And not fair to the poor people waiting for the darn thing to start)

Btw we will be on the Valor (June sailing) which if I had to guess the muster drill will be similar to Liberty.

As suggested, I would contact your cruise company now. Don't wait until your in panic mode which you appear to be close to being in now.

I mainly cruise with Royal Caribbean and many of their drills now have the muster station in assorted lounges and restaurants. As for thinking you could just swim or float along side a boat, you must be dreaming. I don't think you would want to deal with possibly high waves or sharks.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk