Wonder of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

Ovation's captain claimed it to be the largest tender operation in the world.  For Hawaii it worked well but only after they bought many local charter boats at one port so they could monopolize tender traffic going into the channel leading to the harbor.  The cruise prior without buying the locals didn't work as well.  That was a lesson learned.

For both NZ and Hawaii I thought Ovation did a good job handling the tendering.  Anthem used to tender at CocoCay before the pier.  So tendering is doable up to ~4,500 guests so far but like the new terminals that were built to handle Oasis crowds they have to put a lot of effort and planning into it to make it work at this scale.

With the right planning and with the right harbor conditions at a destination it could potentially scale up to Wonder.  A longer day at a tender port might be required so it might not work on all itineraries.   

Ovation uses a ramp with a tender pulled up beside an otherwise normal looking watertight door (as viewed from the outside).  There is no external platform like some other lines have on their ships.

1910OV-177.jpg

The worst tender operation for me was Vision at Cabo.  Bliss consumed all the local shore tenders leaving Vision to use her lifeboat tenders and it was very painful.  

Edited by twangster

2 hours ago, twangster said:

The worst tender operation for me was Vision at Cabo.  Bliss consumed all the local shore tenders leaving Vision to use her lifeboat tenders and it was very painful. 

I've been on the other side of that (might have even been Vision that was there at the time), on the Bliss.  We might have been the first ship in so we had the run of the tenders from shore for disembarkation.  They had 2 platforms tendering with 2 per platform, we didn't have an excursion from the cruise line and we still were on shore by 8 AM.  I think one tender platform was excursions while the other was general population.  This differed GREATLY from the experience on Anthem where it took until 10 AM at least before my tender number was called for Coco Cay.

4 hours ago, steamboats said:

@twangster it is only Oasis Class ships which do not tender. Quantum Class ships did tender. And they have tender boats and not just life boats.

steamboats

Not yet.  Much speculation that they might attempt it on Wonder.   Hence the discussion up thread looking for evidence.  

On 11/23/2020 at 1:54 PM, steamboats said:

They don´t tender on a regular basis as getting 6,5 K passengers on land with tender boats would take the whole day through.

The other point is that the life boats are not designed to double serve as tender boats. Oasis Class ships do have special life boats with a capcity of 370 persons. A life boat which can be also used as tender would have a much lesser capacity for life boat purpose (and even more less for tender purpose).

@twangster as I wrote earlier in this thread... Yes, they still can use local tender boats but then you still have the problem to get 6,5 K pax off the ship and back again in a reasonable time frame.

steamboats

3 hours ago, steamboats said:

@twangster as I wrote earlier in this thread... Yes, they still can use local tender boats but then you still have the problem to get 6,5 K pax off the ship and back again in a reasonable time frame.

steamboats

... And as I stated with the proper planning and more time in port they could scale it.   Since we are using max capacity 4,905 works well now.   Scaling that up to 6,296 is only a few more boat trips.  

With the proper planning at the right destination it is conceivable.  

• Like 1