Princess & Holland America-differences?

We love Princess. But HA offers a circumnavigation cruise of Australia which includes Komodo Island, Tasmania, and New Zealand, all during the same cruise. I'm seriously thinking of taking it. With Princess I can't get all of that in one cruise. Just wondering if there are any major differences in the 2 lines. We're pretty flexible. Thanks!

We like both lines. I'd describe HAL as slightly more sophisticated, and a somewhat more mature crowd. It really depends on the itinerary, and since they both do similar cruises around Australia, the passenger demographics should be the same. If you like Princess, I'm pretty sure you'll like HAL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you like the itinerary go on the cruise. You will probably like the on board service, but may miss the evening activities that are common Princess cruises. I think the ship you are thinking about is the Maasdam, a smaller vessel.

Our experience on HAL is in the Caribbean. It becomes a snoozer in the evening. Maybe the Australian crowd will spark things up. HAL does not employ the large cruise staff like Princess does. Basically they have a CD and one or two multi purpose entertainment staff members. for live music which we enjoy I remember a classical music group, a piano player/singer and a lounge group, with limited dancing hours. All other music was by the multipurpose musicians.

We are 54 and 60 and years ago cruised multiple times with HAL because of my mom. Then we got her to try Princess and she never wanted to go back. We spoke with people, who mind you were in there 70+ and 80 early and said it is not for me...it is the geratric cruise and they were not ready for that.

I must say....years ago last time we were on someone had an accident with their bag attached and it happened outside the lunch area and continued back all the way to their room....last time we cruised with them. The smell was unbearable....I felt terrible for the poor person who had to clean up after that.

I always heard that too, but our lady cruise was in the Eurodam, from Copenhagen to NY by way of Iceland and Greenland. You'd expect a mature crowd, but it really wasn't. They had the BB King blues club, and multiple things every night. I don't think I was in the cabin more than six hours any night. It really depends on the itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We cruise on both and like some things better on HAL, library, promenades, teak loungers.

The oldest crowd we ever had was on Princess in the Caribbean so I don't think you can truly generalize.

It really depends on itinerary and time of the year.

I think you are going to enjoy HA, although I cannot compare the two, as we have done 7 or 8 cruises with them , and are just about to go on our first Princess cruise. We are in our 60s , but started cruising HA in our early fifties. The food is great, specialty restaurants great, and BBKing club too, as mentioned. We have always met interesting people onboard. I believe the crew to be second to none for service. We are off on the British Isles cruise on Princess. I am sure we will enjoy it. The cruise you are taking sounds amazing, I have been looking at that one! enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have done both and would throw a nod to Princess but feel you would be comfortable either way , so I would let itinerary drive the choice. In general as the princess ships we sail are bigger they tend to have more activities and we prefer that. Can't comment about food as that seems to be changing and to some degree deteriorating on all lines. Of late we have steered more to Princess as we are elite and DW loves the free laundry.

We have cruised on both HAL and PCL and had great cruised on both. My preference is Princess, however sometimes the itinerary wins on. The itinerary you describe sounds like a winner.

Gail

Been on nearly two dozen Princess voyages and all were exceptional! Sailed on HAL Westerdam last October and it was beyond awful. Everything was either an upsell or a shakedown. Would never recommend HAL!

Funny, because I have been on both HAL and Princess in the past year. I found Princess was doing much more upselling and shaking down than HAL did.

In any case, I cruise for the itinerary. That is the main factor. Cruise ship activities, food, etc. are all secondary for me. I find Princess and HAL to be similar in the activities, food, etc. Princess generally has larger ships and bigger atriums. The only difference that really stands out to me is that Princess lets you serve yourself in their buffet. HAL serves you pretty much everything, which can generate more lines at times.

Have had three cruises on HAL and could not fault them in any way.

Recently travelled on Dawn Princess and had numerous problems with the cabin. I attribute no fault to the staff for they tried to help in many ways but it was an old ship.

Would definitely travel with Princess again but would consider a newer ship.

Pick your cruise line according to the itinerary as you will enjoy the best cruise lines afloat.

Looking at the two round Australia cruises, both have a good itinerary. HAL calls into Bali & Komodo - Princess does Kimberley Coast cruising and calls into Alotau in PNG.

Bali - not my favourite port but go into the interior and it has lovely countryside, haven't been to Komodo and Alotau is an undeveloped but interesting destination.

HAL does Penneshaw on Kangaroo Island, if you are after Australian wildlife in the wild, this is the place to see it.

HAL does Exmouth (red soil and cliffs, also dropping off point for Ningaloo Reef), Princess does Busselton (Margaret River - wine country). Exmouth is a port that ships sometimes have trouble getting into.

The Princess cruise is on one of the smaller older ships, not the sparkly new mega ships that Princess run elsewhere.

HAL uses the Maasdam, an even smaller ship but the advantage of that is that it gets into ports the bigger ships can't get into.

HAL also does Cairns and Hamilton Island for that far north Queensland visit.

On both cruises because of their length you will get an older demographic doing the whole trip but both HAL and Princess break these cruises up into segments so younger cruisers might grab those.

I have been on both HAL and Princess and have enjoyed both.

We just returned from an EB TA on the HAL Zuiderdam. We're Elite on Princess and going forward will be 3* on HAL (have sailed 75 days with them). It looks like the main thing we'll enjoy IF we return to HAL is discounts on spending money! We certainly love PCL's free laundry for Elites since we mostly do TAs and we'll never get that on HAL (costs $20 for a small bag of dirty clothes). Also, two things that have not been mentioned on this thread so far: regular dining in the Lido ends at 8 pm (after that only pizza) and the evening shows are at 6:30 and 8:00 (I suppose because us "old" folks go to bed early). One plus for HAL is the wonderful large whirlpool available if you buy the Thermal Suite (the other facilities in the TS are identical to those on PCL). Others have mentioned the few staff devoted to onboard activities, something we were disappointed about--we were on a 16-day cruise, with 10 days at sea. They did have an active lecture program (3 lecturers: WW II, evolution, ancient times). The best thing about this particular cruise was the gal who "adopted" us in the Lido Market--she helped us find seats, knew what we liked to drink, etc. We also had a unique experience as we sailed away from Amsterdam: a party on the bow of the ship. Hot toddies were available (for a fee).