What is the weirdest thing you ever seen happening on an NCL ship! Just Curious.

tgloersen

Not sure what ship this was on, but a funny 'communication malfunction' happened after dinner one evening. Our waiter, it seems, had a bit of a problem pronouncing certain words in the English language. After dinner, he came by and said to us, "Shark Minnow?"

DH and I looked at each other, rather befuddled. DH said to the waiter, "I'm sorry, what did you say?"

The waiter smiled and repeated, "Shark Minnow?" Again, we were very confused and began to giggle. I said to the waiter, "Did you just say Shark Minnow?"

He said, "Yes, Shark Minnow?" as he was handing me the dessert menu.

"Ohhhhh," we replied, trying not to laugh hysterically. "You mean Dessert Menu?"

"Yes," he replied. "Shark Minnow!"

To this day, whenever we are cruising, we frequently will ask each other after dinner if we think we might want something from the Shark Minnow!

• Haha 2

Not sure what ship this was on, but a funny 'communication malfunction' happened after dinner one evening. Our waiter, it seems, had a bit of a problem pronouncing certain words in the English language. After dinner, he came by and said to us, "Shark Minnow?"

DH and I looked at each other, rather befuddled. DH said to the waiter, "I'm sorry, what did you say?"

The waiter smiled and repeated, "Shark Minnow?" Again, we were very confused and began to giggle. I said to the waiter, "Did you just say Shark Minnow?"

"Ohhhhh," we replied, trying not to laugh hysterically. "You mean Dessert Menu?"

To this day, whenever we are cruising, we frequently will ask each other after dinner if we think we might want something from the Shark Minnow!

Now I know why native French speakers cringe when I try to speak their language. :D I wonder what they think I'm saying?

On my recent Transatlantic on the Getaway I was returning to my cabin around 11 am. I see a male about early to mid 60's staggering towards me. He then veers off into the hallway leading to the studio cabins. As I get closer I hear the sound of running water. I look down that hallway and there is that same male relieving himself on the carpet. He then zips himself up and continues staggering on his merry way leaving a rather large wet spot on the carpet. I go and find a room steward to let them know and take them to the hall to show them the puddle. The room steward shrugged it off . I don't think anything was done to clean that carpet as the stain remained for the rest of the cruise.

On my recent Transatlantic on the Getaway I was returning to my cabin around 11 am. I see a male about early to mid 60's staggering towards me. He then veers off into the hallway leading to the studio cabins. As I get closer I hear the sound of running water. I look down that hallway and there is that same male relieving himself on the carpet. He then zips himself up and continues staggering on his merry way leaving a rather large wet spot on the carpet. I go and find a room steward to let them know and take them to the hall to show them the puddle. The room steward shrugged it off . I don't think anything was done to clean that carpet as the stain remained for the rest of the cruise.

Not funny or humors - the room steward shunting his duties elsewhere should be reported to the Housekeeping

Supervisor. Urine left to fester renders bad smells later in the voyage and takes more effort to remove.

And what about other cruisers roaming the halls side stepping into that ?

At the very minimum flag it with a cone for a maintenance crew to attend to.

Disgusting to say the least !

Hey DeputyDawg get out your DNA and CSI kit - track this scoundrel down.

• Thanks 1

Not funny or humors - the room steward shunting his duties elsewhere should be reported to the Housekeeping

Supervisor. Urine left to fester renders bad smells later in the voyage and takes more effort to remove.

And what about other cruisers roaming the halls side stepping into that ?

At the very minimum flag it with a cone for a maintenance crew to attend to.

Disgusting to say the least !

Hey DeputyDawg get out your DNA and CSI kit - track this scoundrel down.

The thread was about weirdest, not the funny or humorous. I do not think he thought it was funny, just strange.

Not on NCL but Carnival Dream, we had a just girls trip. I was sharing a cabin with my sister and I woke up one night to a lady going through our closet looking at clothes. I yelled out who's in here. My sister waking up yelling back at me that no one was there. What is weird about it was the cruise prior to ours on the dream a young lady had hung herself in her cabin. Made me wonder was she just roaming around 😱

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

• Like 2

Reminded me of the time my DH and I were eating prime rib and we both thought we heard the waiter ask if we would like some "Hot Mayonnaise"? Okaaay..Sure....Pile it on. Big bite...cough, spit sputter. Nope, not "Hot Mayonnaise". It was Horseradish:o:o:o:o:o:o!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by texaskit
spelling
  • Haha 2

My DH and I were sailing out of Vancouver to Alaska. He was feeding the Sea Gulls that flew by and as one miss a morsel it fell to a balcony three floor below. We went up of deck forgetting about the tasty item when we returned we looked out our balcony and on that balcony was a sea gull unable to take off after retrieving the piece of food. It had pooped all over the place and made a terrible mess of that balcony. We felt bad we had created the reason for it, but we did have a great laugh and still remember it. No we don't feed the Sea Gulls anymore from our balcony.

On day 10 of a Southern Caribbean cruise the man at the table next to us in the MDR demanding a salad with endive. The waiter kindly explained that they did not have any endive left and offered other greens. The man accused him of lying and demanded to speak to his manager. The man ended up disappointed with his endive free salad. I have to this day not seen anyone so angry about a salad.

• Haha 1

On the very first Silhouette cruise our whole table was catching the sniffles so we asked the head waiter to have the chef prepare us chicken noodle soup ...easy enough right ..Well they did not know what it was .....had no clue ...gave us some crazy concoction nothing like chicken soup .

They said they never heard of chicken noodle soup .......really .....where are you from ????

.i wrote a critique of the food ..on the last night of the cruise .....in rome

I got a call from Celebrity the day after I got home from Miami .....yup that fast ...wanting details ...i told them food was very subpar ...

I told them to send the executive chef to teach those cooks how to cook ...many things were off ..They must have cause my friend went on Silhouette a few months later and said food was great ...glad I could help ....lol

Who does not know how to make chicky soup ??I even offered to show them how ....lol

Pretty sure Chicken noodle soup is particularly an American meal. I wouldn't say it would be common in Europe. If it wasn't on the menu I wouldn't necessarily expect a foreign chef to know how to make it with out a recipe.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On the very first Silhouette cruise our whole table was catching the sniffles so we asked the head waiter to have the chef prepare us chicken noodle soup ...easy enough right ..Well they did not know what it was .....had no clue ...gave us some crazy concoction nothing like chicken soup .

They said they never heard of chicken noodle soup .......really .....where are you from ????

.i wrote a critique of the food ..on the last night of the cruise .....in rome

I got a call from Celebrity the day after I got home from Miami .....yup that fast ...wanting details ...i told them food was very subpar ...

I told them to send the executive chef to teach those cooks how to cook ...many things were off ..They must have cause my friend went on Silhouette a few months later and said food was great ...glad I could help ....lol

Who does not know how to make chicky soup ??I even offered to show them how ....lol

I have no idea what chicken noodle soup is. I think you are forgetting that the chefs and staff on these ships are often not from the USA/Canada. If they asked you to make a dish from their country without a recipe or description would you automatically know how?

I am surprised by how many posts on here are about people ordering off-menu and then being surprised the delivered dish is not exactley how they expected it to be. I also have no idea what blackened chicken is, for that matter. What's wrong with just ordering off the menu?

• Like 2

Funny food story: we asked for a rum punch on our last cruise and the waitress (really lovely woman), asked us how we "usually preferred it". We said "heavy on the rum!". So she brought us a full bottle of rum, a tumbler of orange juice, and literally, a full plate of cut fruit. Her explanation - "this way you can have as much rum as you like".

Let's just say, none of the rum went to waste, and we were not charged either - not weird, per se, but still very funny.

Amy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pretty sure Chicken noodle soup is particularly an American meal. I wouldn't say it would be common in Europe. If it wasn't on the menu I wouldn't necessarily expect a foreign chef to know how to make it with out a recipe.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

My husbands family are European ..so are my friends ..so was my mom ..they all made it

This chef was Indian ...everything had a touch of curry tadte ....I do mean everything even the steak ..so perhaps it is not common in their part of the worls .But I can asdure Europeans may call it bouiilon or broth but it is chicken soup

I have no idea what chicken noodle soup is. I think you are forgetting that the chefs and staff on these ships are often not from the USA/Canada. If they asked you to make a dish from their country without a recipe or description would you automatically know how?

I am surprised by how many posts on here are about people ordering off-menu and then being surprised the delivered dish is not exactley how they expected it to be. I also have no idea what blackened chicken is, for that matter. What's wrong with just ordering off the menu?

s

You have never had campbells soup or Liptons ..both

chic ken noodle soup ...its basically a chicken soup ...broth with chicken, onions, celery and carrots simmered gently to which you add noodles ...i use little broken ones, Italians use tortellini , others use fat egg noodles ....a matter of taste

blackened fish is spicy highly seasoned fish with Cajun spice or lots of varieties of pepper ....not burnt

The chinese make won ton soup ...fat stuffed noodles ....the Vitamese throw in bean sprots and call it Pho ....all different chicken soups ...al deelicious

Perhaps you call it broth or bouillon ...same difference

s

You have never had campbells soup or Liptons ..both

chic ken noodle soup ...its basically a chicken soup ...broth with chicken, onions, celery and carrots simmered gently to which you add noodles ...i use little broken ones, Italians use tortellini , others use fat egg noodles ....a matter of taste

blackened fish is spicy highly seasoned fish with Cajun spice or lots of varieties of pepper ....not burnt

The chinese make won ton soup ...fat stuffed noodles ....the Vitamese throw in bean sprots and call it Pho ....all different chicken soups ...al deelicious

Perhaps you call it broth or bouillon ...same difference

By noodles do you mean pasta? Or like little dry noodles like in a pot noodle? When we say noodles we are talking about Chinese food! This is the point I'm trying to make- it's a very common food to you but not to a chef who has never lived in America. If someone told me to put noodles in soup I would think they are talking about ramen or pho. Both of which I have eaten many times- never had anything actually labelled as chicken noodle soup! Seeing as I'm in America in a few months I'll have to try some.

But I digress- I think the fact the chef even tried to make it specially for you (considering they have thousands of other passengers to feed) is worthy of a compliment, not a complaint.

Edited by SquishTheWhale
  • Like 2

By noodles do you mean pasta? Or like little dry noodles like in a pot noodle? When we say noodles we are talking about Chinese food! This is the point I'm trying to make- it's a very common food to you but not to a chef who has never lived in America. If someone told me to put noodles in soup I would think they are talking about ramen or pho. Both of which I have eaten many times- never had anything actually labelled as chicken noodle soup! Seeing as I'm in America in a few months I'll have to try some.

But I digress- I think the fact the chef even tried to make it specially for you (considering they have thousands of other passengers to feed) is worthy of a compliment, not a complaint.

In the US the words "noodle" and "pasta" are pretty much interchangeable.

On the Gem two years ago-

There was this man who wore the same red shirt the entire cruise. We notice him randomly roaming the hallways throughout the cruise, talking to himself.

One day we go to Win, Lose, or Draw. You basically pick a card and have to draw what's on it, and then your team guesses what you are drawing. The red shirt guy shows up halfway into the game and demands that he gets to draw next. He is paired with a team of three young girls.

He goes up and draws a card and then tells the guy running it that he is drawing what he wants. He proceeds to draw something that I won't mention (hint: a man has one). The girls look confused and kind of disgusted and the red shirt guy says, "I was drawing Dick Cheney, but I didn't have time to draw the chain and the knee." And then he started hysterically laughing and ran away.

After the game was over, we had a talk with the guy who was running it. He said that red shirt guy was on the ship by himself for three weeks, and they already had had issues with him. He apparently stole another young girl's wallet, took her to the front desk, and tried to frame the girl, saying that it was his wallet that she stole.

Anyways, as the cruise went on we saw him around, mostly showing off his moves in Bliss at night.

On the last day, we go to the Atrium to get ready to disembark. We spot him in the middle of a talk with some lady, and we heard him say something along the lines of, "I wish they let you bring guns onboard because I would shoot up the whole ship." WHAT???

If you are familiar with the layout of the Jewel-class ships, O'Sheehan's is on the upper level of the atrium, and there is a big screen that spans the two floors. They were playing a video of the crew waving goodbye to everyone. Normal enough.

We go up to O'Sheehan's and see the guy in front of the screen, swearing at the crew members on it, because he wouldn't be disembarking like everyone else. He then began to lie on the floor and then began some sort of a dance (there was no music playing). I do have a video, but I'm not sure anyone would like to see it...

Anyways, that's the weirdest thing I've seen from my cruising experience.

Here's the video...

You can't hear anything besides background noise in the video, so I added music.

Not NCL, but I still can't believe this happened - I was on a NASCAR fan cruise and the ship ran out of beer on the second day and had to wait until we got to port in Nassau to restock! A lot of unhappy passengers...

Hahaha...I bet that wasn't pretty.

Here's the video...

You can't hear anything besides background noise in the video, so I added music.

Odd. I am surprised they let him act like that. I would stay far away from that guy. lol

In the US the words "noodle" and "pasta" are pretty much interchangeable.

NCL has Chicken Noodle soup on the room service menu. It's actually pretty good. On the same cruise we ordered it multiple times. Most times the noodles were egg noodles, a few times it was spaghetti noodles.