missed ports procedures

autismmama

We are going on our first cruise In less than 3 weeks. 5 day to Nassau and Freeport. I've heard of some cruises missing ports. So what happens with the schedule at that point? Do we arrive at the next port a day early? Do we float around in the ocean for a day lol!? I just want to be prepared..but hope that doesn't happen.

We are going on our first cruise In less than 3 weeks. 5 day to Nassau and Freeport. I've heard of some cruises missing ports. So what happens with the schedule at that point? Do we arrive at the next port a day early? Do we float around in the ocean for a day lol!? I just want to be prepared..but hope that doesn't happen.

It depends.

Sometimes they'll rearrange ports (not always possible) sometimes you'll get an extra day in a port (again not always possible) sometimes you'll get an extra sea day.

Most often you will have an extra sea day and arrive at your next port of call as originally scheduled. I can only think of a couple of times in our cruising history where that was not the case, and both times the cruise line was aware in advance that a port would need to be missed so they had time to make alternate arrangements. But usually another sea day is what you get. Adding a substitute port doesn't just happen. They would have to determine if there is a port close by with docking space available. They want to stick to the original itinerary whenever possible, so cancellations can happen last moment.

Nassau and Freeport rarely seem to get missed, but if it were to happen and the cruise line was not aware in advance, odds are you would get another sea day. Say as you were arriving at Nassau it was determined they had to cancel, not to many options very close by.

So I'm assuming any prepaid excursions at that port would be refunded?

They will refund payment of any ship's sponsored excurusions if the port is missed but not any private excusions any guests may have booked and paid for. Often, the refund would be applied to one's shipb oard account as a credit. this may vary by cruiseline but th at is generally how it works.

As mentioned, if Nassau and Freeport are your only ports of call, they typically would not be missed as they are both docking ports in ports protected by sea walls. The sea conditions that typically force missed ports of call are most commonly associated with tender ports, where the ship's tenders are used to transport passengers off the ship to the port of call. Adverse sea conditions make that dangerous, which can result in the port being missed. That being said, a couple of months ago there was a lingering storm system that had high winds and waves associated with it and more than one ship was delayed into Nassau due to difficult docking conditions. But that is very rare.

But when a port of call is missed, the typical alternative is an extra day at sea with a refund of any ship excursions costs and port fees. It can be difficult to schedule an alternate docking port of call as there would have to be one within range of the ship for that date that also has pier space available, as docking times are contracted well in advance and for long periods of time.

That all being said, a number of years ago - when cruising was a much smaller industry with far less ships at sea - we missed our port of call with RCI at CocoCay due to high seas but were able to reset to Freeport instead. Rare, but it can happen. But again, with your ports of call missing one is not likely.

Enjoy your first cruise - it likely will not be your last!

You are unlikely to miss these ports and while I agree that tender ports are the main ones missed, there are other causes. On the west coast, Astoria is often missed because ships fear crossing the mouth of the Columbia. Had it happen to us once, another sea day. Rarer was the fisherman's strike in Costa Rica with boats blocking the entrance to the port. Credit Princess for a good move there. They sailed on by, gave us a day in Panama City, and were able to arrange a variety of excursions for the passengers. Hey, it's a vacation, you have to go with the flow.

You will NOT miss either port. No worries.

And you guarantee this how?

And with what compensation do you back up this certainty?

Agreed -- it is highly unlikely that either Freeport or Nassau would be missed - but no thinking, responsible person can state it as a certainty.

They will refund payment of any ship's sponsored excurusions if the port is missed but not any private excusions any guests may have booked and paid for. Often, the refund would be applied to one's shipb oard account as a credit. this may vary by cruiseline but th at is generally how it works.
Actually, most private excursions DO state that they'll refund your advanced payment if the ship misses the port (not if you personally don't show up). And, of course, the chance of this happening is small.

If you're overly concerned, read the fine print on your excursion tour's website.

I've experienced a couple of instances where the ship had to miss a port due to weather and/or sea conditions, and another port was substituted. It was a small ship, so that helped with flexibility. In both instances, the substituted ports were way more interesting than the original ports had sounded. In one, they quickly put together some excursions. In the other, we were all on our own, but we quickly made a beeline for the visitor's information office, which was near the port, and they gave us some great ideas using the public bus system.

We booked a cruise once leaving from Baltimore and going to Bermuda. That was the only port, and the ship would dock there for a few days. Unfortunately, Hurricane Sandy made an appearance. Right before the ship was to leave, they made an announcement that the cruise would still occur, but that the ship would not be going to Bermuda. They allowed people to leave the ship and get a full refund (can't remember if anything else was offered). We stayed, as I had already taken vacation time. The ship did sail, essentially a "cruise to nowhere," avoided the hurricane, and found a safe harbor to hunker down in. Passengers who remained on the ship did get some ship board credit - can't remember how much - and of course all port charges were refunded. I still had a great time.

The ports that are missed are usually ports where you tender instead of docking. Nassau and Freeport are both docked ports and your chances of missing them are minimal. Usually the only way that you would miss those ports is if there is a hurricane in the area.

Last February we were on a Vision cruise from Tampa to Roatan, Honduras and had to divert due to a medical situation, ended up in Cozumel, Mexico..... And then a few days later, returned​ to Cozumel on our scheduled day to be there.

November 6th,2016 we missed the Port Of Nassau on Royal Caribbean's Allure Of The Seas due to extremely windy conditions. We were only a few miles outside of the port entrance when the captain advised us that it was just too windy to enter the channel safely. He was concerned that the port side winds hovering at 30 knots would push the ship onto the breakwater. He also advised us that a tugboat would be no help getting the ship through the channel. We had an eight hour start to get us to our next port of call, St Thomas.

As others have stated, the majority of missed ports are tender ports. On our first cruise the ship had mechanical problems. I believe it was the azipods that move the ship sideways. We were to dock at Calica and the port dropped and we limped back to Galveston. On the second cruise we had Belize, a tender port, canceled because of high winds. Carnival was able to divert to Calica and we got our Calica trip a year late. Those are the only missed ports out of 16 cruises.

As for canceled tours, normally the tour companies will refund your money if the ship is unable to dock. We always check the contract before we book. We did have a snorkel tour canceled because of rough seas. Full refund.

As others have stated, the majority of missed ports are tender ports. On our first cruise the ship had mechanical problems. I believe it was the azipods that move the ship sideways. We were to dock at Calica and the port dropped and we limped back to Galveston. On the second cruise we had Belize, a tender port, canceled because of high winds. Carnival was able to divert to Calica and we got our Calica trip a year late. Those are the only missed ports out of 16 cruises.

As for canceled tours, normally the tour companies will refund your money if the ship is unable to dock. We always check the contract before we book. We did have a snorkel tour canceled because of rough seas. Full refund.

Azipods are the main thrusters that drive the ship through the water. They are self contained motors and propellers that are on rotatable pods and are an advancement from the typical propellers on shafts with separate rudders. Due to their ability to rotate they can be used to drive the aft of the ship sideways at port. The bow thrusters are the fixed motors and propellers mounted in the bow of the ship that drive the ship sideways at the front and are only used during port maneuvers.