Medical disembarkation experience in a foreign country

bajakiter

A search on the HA board didn't bring up much information on having to leave the ship mid cruise due to a medical emergency.

Since there is a chance that this could happen to anyone, we thought a review of the process may be of interest.

We were on the Zuiderdam from Fort Lauderdale to the Baltic (28 days) ending in Copenhagen tomorrow May 17.

The night before arriving in Tallinn Estonia my wife suffered an MS relapse/exacerbation ( the first in 10 years ).

The morning of our arrival I took her to the medical center on "A" deck in our transport chair. The ships doctor did thorough assessment and made the decision that she must leave the ship via ambulance to a local hospital in Tallinn.

This of course created additional stress for both of us but the ship has been through this many times.

The port agent spoke with us and arranged for the ambulance. The guest relations department sent someone to help me pack our luggage quickly. My wife would not have been pleased with my packing job but I had lots time to fix that later.

Our cabin stewards and the guest relations person rolled our luggage down to the medical center.

I then had to sign some forms ( probably release forms of some kind ). I was then given a yellow folder titled Guest Disembark.

After a short wait, the ambulance crew came on board and whisked my wife away to emergency.

Meanwhile, the port agent, guest relations, and I rolled our 3 bags down the center of the ship through the crew area.

Wow, what difference from the ship we see as guests.

At the gangway, I was scanned off for the last time. The port agent drove his car to the bottom of the gangway where we loaded the luggage and drove to a hotel. He chose a hotel close to the hospital ( 8 minute fast walk ). He helped with the check in, luggage etc. and left his card and number. There I was, one minute on the ship enjoying a fantastic cruise, the next in a hotel room ( a nice one I must admit ). Quite a shock. And of course my wife in emergency in a hospital in Estonia.

The ship has obviously been through this many times before and as stressful as it was, they kept a human element in the process for which we are thankful. It was all handled efficiently and professionally.

The hospital wouldn't let me see my wife until she was out of emergency and in a ward.

She was in the hospital for 5 days. I cannot say enough good things about the doctors and nurses who looked after her.

She received a CT scan to rule out a stroke, ECG, Ultrasound, blood tests etc.

During the five days, HA Family Assistance kept in contact by phone each day. Made phone calls to the travel insurance company and claims department.

The port agent agent also kept in constant contact. They all did their best to reassure me during a most stressful time.

In the end, my wife was discharged from the hospital and we flew home which took 23 hours but home at last.

I must mention that at the hospital, a social worker did a lot of work getting the medical information to the relevant agencies for translation and spoke to us daily.

We miss being on the cruise but feel HA handled the whole situation extremely well.

Hope this information, although personal may help give some general information to someone in the same situation in the future.

Thank you for telling us about your experience. It is good to know how it is done.

Thank you for taking the time to report this experience. I am sure that it is reassuring to many of us who fear such a possibility.

Thank you for posting your experience. Since we are in our later years it is always a concern when we travel (cruise) that an experience like yours would happen. It is gratifying to hear how well Hal helped and handled the experience. I hope your DW has recovered and able to travel again soon.

I am glad to hear you and your wife were able to return home after your ordeal. It is very upsetting having to disembark for medical reasons - we did so in Colon, and my DH was taken to Panama City hospital. The HAL personnel could not have been more compassionate or caring, from helping pack to hugs at the gangway. The port agent, on the other hand, was as useless as grease on a doorknob. He stood beside his car watching as my hubby was loaded into the ambulance, not once coming over to us. I finally approached him to see what to do about our luggage and he told me to "just put it in the ambulance." With that, he lit up a cigarette, go into his car and left. Not exactly a people person!

Hopefully you and your wife will be able to return to finish your cruise at a later date. Best wishes to both of you.

Smooth Sailing! [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you so much for telling your tale. I found it very reassuring, as the thought of something similar happening to me comes every time I leave for a cruise. Since I travel alone, it is even more of a concern.

I'm sorry this happened to you at all, but am pleased to learn that it has worked out for you.

Wishing your wife a speedy recovery, and you both many future travels (without incident ;)).

I am glad to hear you and your wife were able to return home after your ordeal. It is very upsetting having to disembark for medical reasons - we did so in Colon, and my DH was taken to Panama City hospital. The HAL personnel could not have been more compassionate or caring, from helping pack to hugs at the gangway. The port agent, on the other hand, was as useless as grease on a doorknob. He stood beside his car watching as my hubby was loaded into the ambulance, not once coming over to us. I finally approached him to see what to do about our luggage and he told me to "just put it in the ambulance." With that, he lit up a cigarette, go into his car and left. Not exactly a people person!

Hopefully you and your wife will be able to return to finish your cruise at a later date. Best wishes to both of you.

Smooth Sailing! [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3]

So sorry you snd your DW had this expeience but very happy your wife is well enough tto be ale toF ly home. Very good of you to share how SHIP'S CREW and port agent made t it as smooth as it could be. hopefully none of us will expeience such a situation but it is comforting to know the help you w ere afforded. Wish you wife the best, please and both of you, Stay w ell.

How was the hospital about accepting your insurance for payment?

Wonderful the ship's agent kep contqact with you. THAT GAVE YOU 'frend in town a a time when I think that likely was most welcome.

Thank you for sharing your information, and I wish your wife a full recovery! It is good to know HAL staff members were there for you through out your ordeal. I have found this to be the case in a number of situations I have encountered, not just medical.

Best wishes to you all!

Karen

So sorry to hear of your wife's illness but very happy she is better now. Also happy to hear you had a good experience with all involved. How were the return travel arrangements to Canada made? Did HAL help you with that and was it covered? (I'm assuming you used HAL's insurance coverage.) What about your previous flight arrangements? Were they just converted to your new itinerary? Thanks for reporting on your experience. It always helps to be informed.

The port agent, on the other hand, was as useless as grease on a doorknob. He stood beside his car watching as my hubby was loaded into the ambulance, not once coming over to us. I finally approached him to see what to do about our luggage and he told me to "just put it in the ambulance." With that, he lit up a cigarette, go into his car and left.

:eek: :eek::eek: That is deplorable. :mad:

How was the hospital about accepting your insurance for payment?

Wonderful the ship's agent kep contqact with you. THAT GAVE YOU 'frend in town a a time when I think that likely was most welcome.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and best wishes.

We did purchase travel insurance with a private company in Canada.

HAL made many three way calls to them with me on the line. They seemed to make more forceful statements than I would have which really helped expedite matters. The HAL representatives in the "Family Assistance" section saved me from imploding!

A soothing, helpful, experienced voice. They stayed with me through the whole process and are still in contact.

The hospital did have me pay upon discharge which I can appreciate. In anticipation of this I made payments of "thousands" ahead of time so there would be a substantial credit on the credit card. I also phoned ( all with skype) the credit card company to let them know what was happening.

The insurance company authorized the hotel room and meals, just save the receipts.

I cancelled our original return flights and the airline refunded all but $60 each.

Alaska airlines even refunded the air miles we used for their short leg of the journey.

The insurance companies claims department contacted their own travel agent which arranged the flights home.

There is still a lot of work to be done submitting claim forms and bills to the insurance company and of course their final decision.

Almost forgot; the port agent and hospital social worker were very helpful in getting the medical records to the insurance companies agent in Estonia for translation. Fortunately for us most people in Estonia speak some or very good English.

For something like this to happen, Tallinn is a very good place.

I probably shouldn't reveal the exact cost of the 5 day hospital stay including the CT scan, ultrasound, ECG, blood work, round the clock nursing and doctors but when I looked at the final bill I truly thought there must be a mistake as it was so low. It was 5% of what I thought it might be.

We will consider making a donation the the hospital if possible in the near future.

We had a similar situation happen in St Thomas on a Celebrity ship. My husband had a previous heart surgery, had been snorkeling and swallowed some water. The life guard in St John felt he should check with doctor to make sure he didn't inhale any salt water( could cause Dry drowning) so we stopped in the infirmary when returning to the ship. Doctor was uncomfortable with his EKG( which was normal for my husband after the surgery but unusual for the doctor) Anyway an ambulance was called, cruise staff helped pack up, and we were put of the ship. The port agent was terrific, did the same as the OP and even arranged for a taxi to be always on call for me with no charge. St Thomas is great for American because they that Medicare and your normal medical insurance. My husband only stayed in the ER overnight until checked by a cardiologist who said he was fine( he knew the unusual EKG was from a chronic problem)

Anyway long story short, always travel with your latest test results and EKG or EEG results, always travel with insurance, and if something happens be aware that someone will be there to take care of you.

Thank you for the details of your experience. It is reassuring to hear how well you were treated. We never travel without the insurance but always hope to not need it. Best wishes to you and your wife and may you have another cruise in your future with HAL.

Fortunately for us most people in Estonia speak some or very good English. For something like this to happen, Tallinn is a very good place.

I'm glad to finally see some kudos for the hospital staff in Estonia.

I probably shouldn't reveal the exact cost of the 5 day hospital stay including the CT scan, ultrasound, ECG, blood work, round the clock nursing and doctors but when I looked at the final bill I truly thought there must be a mistake as it was so low. It was 5% of what I thought it might be.
European healthcare rocks and is one of the major reasons I won't be repatriating to the States any time soon. I've always found it to be thorough and efficient, not to mention easy on the wallet.

Thank you so much for walking us through this highly stressful emergency experience. Your attention to the smallest details was so educational ...and reassuring. Proud of you HAL, and best wishes to you and your wife.

Thanks to Baja and mom for sharing their experiences and how the process works. We had the occasion recently on the Zuiderdam to receive care from the medical staff and, yes, they are fantastic. We were fortunate that we remained on board, but have stored your information in the event of future needs. As stated in another thread, one thing I learned, that others already new, was getting a statement from the doctor (not just the billing breakdown) before leaving the ship. On the paperwork received from the insurance to make a claim, it requires this documentation. We are still processing claims (you know how fast claims work) to primary and secondary policies.

Best wishes to you.

g