Balcony Dwellers Question

CCC3

We've done inside a couple of times and probably won't do it again....I just want some morning light. However, in order to cruise more often, I am open to an outside cabin if the price is right.

I think our first nine cruises were all in inside cabins (even our 12-night cruise to Hawaii for our 50th anniversary), and we were perfectly happy. We were younger then, took part in all the activities, and spent little time in our cabin. We love the ocean and always found a good place to sit and enjoy it. Then in 2009 our TA found us a good price for a balcony on Grandeur and we decided to treat ourselves just once. Well, it's true - it's hard to go back.

We did it just once - we needed 4 nights to reach Diamond Plus before a cruise where we thought it would be important, asked our TA, and she found us 4 nights leaving in 4 days in an inside cabin on Enchantment for $179. It accomplished our purpose and many times we've said that was a really enjoyable cruise, but we haven't booked less than a balcony since.

It's strictly a personal decision - I would recommend trying both and seeing which works best for you.

Happy Cruising!

Margy

We really enjoyed a Promenade room. Not sure if they are on your cruise? They are inside rooms, cheaper as well, but have a window to Promenade area.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

We really enjoyed a Promenade room. Not sure if they are on your cruise? They are inside rooms, cheaper as well, but have a window to Promenade area.

Cheaper than an oceanview, but typically more expensive than an inside.

I can't do an inside, did it once and was feeling quite sea sick. It was rough and I didn't have a window to help get my bareings. However we did do a Promenade cabin once and we liked that. Normally we do balcony or suite. I would do promenade again!

20 years ago we had an interior cabin on Holland America. It felt like a tomb. Two years ago we had an interior on DCL because Disney is expensive and that was the only way we could make it work. The DCL interior was spacious and well designed. It felt larger than an ocean view on DCL. All that said, we haven't had an interior on a RC ship. We usually get an ocean view, but will have a balcony on our next sailing. If you don't spend much time in your room, as we don't, then you can make an interior work. For me, I'd rather be on a cruise with an interior than at work 😉

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Just be sure to keep your curtains closed at night when dressing. ;p

Wife and I have never had a balcony. Will this summer on Oasis. Looking forward to it, but even if it's great that won't make our other cruises where we had inside cabins less enjoyable.

It's all about mentality I suppose. For us the cruise isn't about the room. We like to go out at the bars or shows or on ports. We use the room to change, sleep, and bathe. Everything else is done outside of the room.

Like I said, maybe our perspectives will change after having an Oceanview Balcony on Oasis. Maybe we're just cheapos. Maybe we're just easy to please.

The new insides on RCCL (and perhaps other lines by now) have virtual windows that show a 24 hour HD camera view on a flat screen TV. Even have curtains to draw across the screen. I might be interested in that sort of inside.

We booked our first ever inside for upcoming Alaska cruise because of:

A) darkness

B) last Alaska cruise we seldom used balcony due to cold and wet

C) last time we spent far more time in public places either inside our out on deck to see the views both ways

but... when they switched us to a larger ship with more balconies we self-upsold ourselves to a balcony when the difference as half as much as the smaller ship. Then, recently, took an upsell offer to a small suite. SO our first inside (if ever) will have to wait.

But for warmer climates we find we spend a LOT of time on the balcony. Especially late at night having a nightcap out there before bed. In warm location the warm humid air, ocean sounds and gentle motion is the perfect way to rock me to sleep. Ending the day that way becomes a highlight of our cruises. Very much worth it.

We loved our vernada on our alaska curise. We saw seals, whales, wildlife and exquisite scenery sitting out three. I would have been really unhappy to not have oer verandah.

We were very lucky to have great weather which, of c course, is never predictable when we book our cabins.

Completely subjective, I know, so do not flame me. I also know that any day at sea is better than going to work. I am also aware that someone over the course of months/years may have asked a similar question. So that being said, here is my question for balcony-suite people...

My family has only done 7 day cruises, and we find a balcony the right category to fit our needs. Hoping someday to snag that perfect suite, but it hasn't happened yet. I am wondering, though, if on a shorter cruise...say 3-5 days...people who normally book balconies-suites find inside rooms okay? I love the view & the space a balcony offers but wonder if it would matter on a short 3 day weekend type cruise. What are your thoughts? Insides are so inexpensive on short cruises it makes them a little more attractive when looking at booking. Thank you for your opinions!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, inside cab in just doesn't work for me and never would have for my DH. We always wanted verandah and larger size cabin.I am a solo now that I am a widow an still book suites though I donot share my cabin with anyone.

Completely subjective, I know, so do not flame me. I also know that any day at sea is better than going to work. I am also aware that someone over the course of months/years may have asked a similar question. So that being said, here is my question for balcony-suite people...

My family has only done 7 day cruises, and we find a balcony the right category to fit our needs. Hoping someday to snag that perfect suite, but it hasn't happened yet. I am wondering, though, if on a shorter cruise...say 3-5 days...people who normally book balconies-suites find inside rooms okay? I love the view & the space a balcony offers but wonder if it would matter on a short 3 day weekend type cruise. What are your thoughts? Insides are so inexpensive on short cruises it makes them a little more attractive when looking at booking. Thank you for your opinions!

Does it matter? Sure. We have had suites, balconies, outsides, and insides. Our preferences are in that same order and if cost was not an issue we would always book the largest suite on any ship :). One advantage of an inside cabin is that its so dark one can sleep all day and night. We think any cruise is better then no cruise. so if an inside cabin is the way to make it happen...so be it. Funny thing is that the last time we booked an inside was on a TA crossing of the Queen Mary 2. We had the cheapest cabin on the ship. The entire crossing was in heavy fog and drizzle. Those who paid the money for a balcony could not use their balconies. And those that had the big suites on the upper decks were kept awake by the fog horn blasting all night long. But we were comfy in our very quiet lower level inside cabin. Go figure.

Hank

I like on our Canad/NE Cruises, we sometimes have heav y fog parituclafrfly near/around Bar harbor and the fog horn sounds c ontinuously. I find it very mystical and the sound of it never disturbs my sleep. :)

Of course a balcony is preferable, but I am amazed by the number of posters who claim they "CAN'T" sail in an inside. Really? Do they understand the meaning of "can't"? Reminiscant of my two-year olds talking about things which fell just short of their favorite.

Of course, there may be some with serious psychological concerns - but aside from that, I think most CAN - and just prefer not to - sail inside.

Of course a balcony is preferable, but I am amazed by the number of posters who claim they "CAN'T" sail in an inside. Really? Do they understand the meaning of "can't"? Reminiscant of my two-year olds talking about things which fell just short of their favorite. I CAN'T find a bove 'a number of posters who said they can;t. :D

Of course, there may be some with serious psychological concerns - but aside from that, I think most CAN - and just prefer not to - sail inside.

I CAN'T find a bove 'a number of posters who said they can;t.' :D : I FOUND SOME Who essentially said they do not want to...........

My next cruise is in a suite, but if I found the right deal on the right cruise in an inside room I would absolutely take it!! For me it depends on itinerary, price, and who I'm sailing with.

The one category I generally don't book is ocean view. If I'm not going to get a balcony, I see no point in paying extra for a little window so I just go with an inside.

My friend normally got a mini suite but one short cruise decided for an inside because her room mate couldn't afford much. She hated it. Said it was the first time in all her cruises she had been sea sick.

Now, my DD, when she had a baby and PNP in the cabin said she would never sail in a balcony room again. I said "so, if you are paying for it you would still book a mini suite?" No, that's when YOU are paying for it.

I have found when I was younger I could sleep in my car on long drives (from LA to Vancouver for the long weekend). Never bothered me. Then I got older and started using the cheapest motel I could find. Okay for a while but then I got older. Now I like the one bedroom hotel rooms (like Embassy Suites) where he can fall asleep early in one room and I can enjoy myself in the other room.

When we started cruising porthole cabins were rooms with 2 sets of bunk beds and a small porthole. No chair, nothing. Guests and you sat on the bed. Now I like mini suites. I do enjoy my balcony. My DH loves to take pictures coming and going from port. If need be he will run up on deck to take a picture of the other side. When it is crowded on deck we go back down to our balcony to eat. We love stepping outside various times of the day to hear and see the sea. Our last view before we go to bed is the ocean. We are, after all, on a cruise and isn't the purpose of being on a ship to enjoy the ocean? So, no. I would not take an inside cabin at this time in my life. I'd cruise less. I like the bigger cabin and bigger bathroom too.

My brother and SIL on the other hand always take inside cabins. Of course, they lived in a tiny travel trailer with their three kids for a year too so they are used to the small areas.

All those that say they love inside cabins - have you noticed a majority of them say all they do is sleep, shower and change? That's because it is a tiny room and not fun to be in. Just my opinion.

We cruise because we both love the ocean. That means a balcony at a minimum. If we can't see as much of the ocean as possible, even when spending time in our room, we would be better off doing a land tour than a cruise. It's a ship, after all, and you are on the ocean. Might as well get as much of those ocean views as possible, something an inside cabin can't do. If those views don't matter, then why be out on the ocean at all?

For us: No balcony - no cruise. We'll wait until we can afford one rather than compromise our vacation by being cooped up in an inside cabin.

We only booked balconies when our kids were small, and went to bed earlier than us. Gave us somewhere to go.

No longer an issue travelling with our teenagers. We now book insides as we are no longer "trapped" in our cabin.

Having said that cruising a scenic route a balcony becomes more appealing to me.

For my husband and I, a stateroom is much more than just a place to sleep and shower. It is our getaway place when we want to be alone or enjoy quiet time. A balcony is a must as part of this getaway space. It gives us a semi private area to spend time outside, extending the confines of the room itself by opening it up to the world outside the four walls of our room. Even when the door is closed, by keeping the curtains open the size of the room seems much more expansive since we can see to the horizon, not just a few feet to a wall. To be able to wake in the morning, walk a few feet to open the door and smell the fresh sea air and see firsthand what the weather is like, is so worth it for us. When we return to the room during the day to change, shower, or relax, the view is always there for us to enjoy. At night, just before we turn in, we will spend some time outside with our customary nightcap, enjoying the sounds of the waves against the hull, the smell of the salt air, with the moon and stars above, all while comfortably dressed in our pajamas.

We agree with some of the other posters - we will wait until we can afford a balcony before we take another cruise. It is too important to make the most of our cruise to spend any of it in a closed in, windowless box, no matter how nice the furniture.

But I certainly can understand why some people say they don't spend much time in their inside cabins. Who in the world would want to spend more time than absolutely necessary in such a stuffy confined, windowless space? Without fresh air, it must feel like a fancy prison cell.

Edited by PTMary