Issues With Global & TSA Entry In Atlanta Airport

I am the original poster, thank - you for all your replies. Just wanted to tell you my facts if I didn't make myself clear; yes my airline tickets showed TSA approval on my boarding pass and yes I also make sure my known traveler number is entered on my reservation, and I follow all the rules on which lines I am allowed to stand on. I was just curious if my fellow CC posters have been patted down at the Atlanta more than other airports. I always appreciate your input.

Atl is my home airport and I travel almost weekly for my job, I haven't noticed atl being any different than any other airport

I've had Global entry for almost 5 years. Most of the time I have pre-check on my boarding pass. But on a couple of occasions It wasn't on the boarding pass even though KTN number was on my airline profile and the airline was a participant. From what I've been told by TSA, read the small print, sometimes you may not have pre-check as a random selection. Also, when flying out of DCA, Washington Reagan, even though I've had pre-check on my boarding pass I've been "randomly" selected for further pat down. Just happened about two weeks ago and that was a first.

Atl is my home airport and I travel almost weekly for my job, I haven't noticed atl being any different than any other airport

Thank-you for answering my question. Both my pat downs occurred when we returned from Europe. My husband told the same TSA Agent he had a knee brace on and they didn't pat him down? I guess they don't like my perfume ;)

I, too, find ATL aggravating when coming from overseas. Global entry works fine but the TSA pre-check line is not staffed at the reentry point for connecting flights. So, even though you have it, you can't use it which leaves a lot of people who have just flown internationally and paid for quick access, without it. I get that they can do random security checks but Atlanta is not a good experience,

I, too, find ATL aggravating when coming from overseas. Global entry works fine but the TSA pre-check line is not staffed at the reentry point for connecting flights. So, even though you have it, you can't use it which leaves a lot of people who have just flown internationally and paid for quick access, without it. I get that they can do random security checks but Atlanta is not a good experience,

I wish there was a like button to press. You arrive in Atlanta after a 10 plus hour international flight you are exhausted and no TSA pre-check line. I almost missed my connecting flight because of the extreme pat down. Appreciate your response. :)

I wish there was a like button to press. You arrive in Atlanta after a 10 plus hour international flight you are exhausted and no TSA pre-check line. I almost missed my connecting flight because of the extreme pat down. Appreciate your response. :)

Standing barefooted cause they made me take my shoes off, riffling through my bag to gather all the lotions, etc to put them in a single ziplock bag, everyone was cranky:o

I am the original poster, thank - you for all your replies. Just wanted to tell you my facts if I didn't make myself clear; yes my airline tickets showed TSA approval on my boarding pass and yes I also make sure my known traveler number is entered on my reservation, and I follow all the rules on which lines I am allowed to stand on. I was just curious if my fellow CC posters have been patted down at the Atlanta airport more than other airports. I am also aware when you use Global Entry when returning from overseas. I always appreciate your replies.

I have the same problem at Atlanta and Las Vegas airports it much be because I do not look liked I am 70 yrs old plus.:D.

Standing barefooted cause they made me take my shoes off, riffling through my bag to gather all the lotions, etc to put them in a single ziplock bag, everyone was cranky:o

Hmmm, according to TSA, you are still supposed you have your liquids (of the correct size) in a quart ziploc bag, you just don't have to take it out of your carry-on or purse.

yes my airline tickets showed TSA approval on my boarding pass... I was just curious if my fellow CC posters have been patted down at the Atlanta airport more than other airports.

Both my pat downs occurred when we returned from Europe.

Unless something has changed very recently, there is no Pre line when you come through security after clearing immigration at ATL. So it doesn't matter if you have Pre clearance or not, you'll go through a regular security process like everyone else.

As for pat downs, often they are just random. I had a stretch of about 2 months where every single time I went through security (about 5 or 6 times times) I got randomly flagged for the explosives residue wipe down. It happens.

Thank-you for answering my question. Both my pat downs occurred when we returned from Europe. ;)

As far as I know pre check just helps in expediting going through security when departing. I just realized your issue has to do with pat downs when returning from overseas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As far as I know pre check just helps in expediting going through security when departing. I just realized your issue has to do with pat downs when returning from overseas.

Yes but when you return to the US, after you clear customs you must re-clear security. It's a different security checkpoint that the one for passengers arriving at the airport from home. Some airports have Pre at the post-customs security check, others don't.

Since December we have traveled thru Dallas, Seattle, Detroit, and Atlanta, returning from long

international flights. We do have GOES and always get precheck on our tickets. We have do travel

first class or business class also. In none of these airports have we found a pre checked travel lane,

first class or business lane. Last week we almost missed our connecting flight in Atlanta because of

the TSA agent channeling us into a longer wait area. We know that because of metal parts in body,

that we will have to have a hand search, so are used to that. We made our flight as they were getting

ready to close the door. Thank you Atlanta. We have added Atlanta, along with JFK not to connect through.

I am the original poster, thank - you for all your replies. Just wanted to tell you my facts if I didn't make myself clear; yes my airline tickets showed TSA approval on my boarding pass and yes I also make sure my known traveler number is entered on my reservation, and I follow all the rules on which lines I am allowed to stand on. I was just curious if my fellow CC posters have been patted down at the Atlanta airport more than other airports. I am also aware when you use Global Entry when returning from overseas. I always appreciate your replies.

They do random pat downs even if you have TSA Pre Check. I got patted down in Miami last December. It was on my boarding pass and I did not set off the metal detector.

Unless something has changed very recently, there is no Pre line when you come through security after clearing immigration at ATL. So it doesn't matter if you have Pre clearance or not, you'll go through a regular security process like everyone else.....

I don't know the logistics at the Atlanta airport but would it be feasible to just to leave the arrivals terminal, like you had no connection and come back in to regular check in lines?

We have Global Entry and live in the D.C. Area. The last three times we have flown the TSA PreCheck line was much longer than the regular line. Too many folks in this area have PreCheck.

It's not the length of the line but the speed and convenience of not having to remove shoes, take out laptops, etc., that makes TSA Pre✓ our preference over possibly shorter regular lines.

We have Global Entry and live in the D.C. Area. The last three times we have flown the TSA PreCheck line was much longer than the regular line. Too many folks in this area have PreCheck.
It was like that on my last trip out of Phoenix, but the PreCheck line moved much more quickly than the regular line.

It's not the length of the line but the speed and convenience of not having to remove shoes, take out laptops, etc., that makes TSA Pre✓ our preference over possibly shorter regular lines.

Also usually you go thru a metal detector and not the body scanner. I prefer the metal detector....

Also usually you go thru a metal detector and not the body scanner. I prefer the metal detector....

Once you reach age 75, you no longer have to remove shoes for TSA. Then they usually wave us through the metal detector as the body scanner must not function well if you have shows on.

Since December we have traveled thru Dallas, Seattle, Detroit, and Atlanta, returning from long

international flights.... In none of these airports have we found a pre checked travel lane,

....Last week we almost missed our connecting flight in Atlanta because of

the TSA agent channeling us into a longer wait area..... Thank you Atlanta. We have added Atlanta, along with JFK not to connect through.

I would think a better solution would be to just schedule a slightly longer connection time. If you keep eliminating connecting airports, you'll really limit your flight/airline options.

I don't know the logistics at the Atlanta airport but would it be feasible to just to leave the arrivals terminal, like you had no connection and come back in to regular check in lines?

Yes, but you never know how long that line will be, and you'll waste additional time getting to it.

Note we were scheduled to have three hours plus to change planes in ATL. The flight

was late leaving FCO by an hour, which left us two plus hours to change planes.

It took us less than a half hour to get off the plane, through customs and immigration, recheck

our cases. The problem was the huge line in ATL and the security line.

We were traveling with Friends on a Cruise to Vancouver. Flew from Vancouver to LAX. Friends had Global Entry, we did not. We beat them though the customs line in Vancouver. For non carrying GE passengers, it was very easy. There was an automated at a kiosk where you scan your passport and then pass though a live person screening booth. Friends traveling with us who used the Global entry line were told they didn't need the actual card. Uh, they needed the card, fortunately she had on her but this held up the process in Vancouver. Not sure it is worth the hassle for us to get a card for the rare instances we would use it. I will say I was very impressed with Vancouver's airport, they have it together.

FYI-- I just got back from a cruise into Vancouver and they required you to have your card in the global entry lane at the airport. The gate agent told me it was also important to carry it in case your passport does not scan-- apparently this happens a lot. I too was told that I did not need to carry it, but I had it with me anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app