wedding called off; honeymoon cruise now no longer

njsonja

If you can't go with your daughter, and you can't get the fare back from insurance and the ex-fiancé can't go solo or with someone else, can your daughter go with the ex? Does she still get along with him? Was it the thought of marriage itself that caused her to cancel and not him?

Good Luck.

thanks, that cannot happen....but thank you

My heart goes out to you and your daughter; I'm sure it was a difficult decision, but the right one for her. Another angle - was the cruise paid for with a credit card? Your CC provider may have travel insurance that covers trip interruption or cancellation. I can't imagine what you're going through for your daughter and yourself. Please come back and let us know the outcome.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

...she has Allianz travel insurance....

OP, so sorry your daughter is hurting and going through this difficult time. We never want our children to suffer and we always want to protect them.

Having said that, did she contact her insurance provider? None of us here can really help you because we don't know the details of the policy. When she can, your daughter should contact them as soon as possible.

whoops, i guess i didn't mention i'm in the cabin next door....that's a very long story, and wasn't supposed to happen at all.....

SaveSave

Then she's not really going on the cruise "alone"...you'll actually be right next door to her...That makes a big difference to the details of your original post, as it read as if she would be totally "alone".....I still say...as I posted above. Go on the cruise at this point...it'll be good for all (both of you or how many of you are actually going :confused:) of you to get away.

No reason to explain the facts of why her honeymoon cruise involves others....We had a group of 25 family members go on our daughters honeymoon cruise.

Then she's not really going on the cruise "alone"...you'll actually be right next door to her...That makes a big difference to the details of your original post, as it read as if she would be totally "alone".....I still say...as I posted above. Go on the cruise at this point...it'll be good for all (both of you or how many of you are actually going :confused:) of you to get away.

No reason to explain the facts of why her honeymoon cruise involves others....We had a group of 25 family members go on our daughters honeymoon cruise.

I agree. She'll only be alone in the cabin and is that really any different than her having her own room at home?

the least financially detrimental is to just go on the cruise. taxes and port fees on one passenger will be refunded, as will any pre paid gratuities.

it is also the perfect time to sit back, reflect and plan for the future without distraction.

she probably NEEDS to be alone for a few days regardless of your feelings on the subject.

whoops, i guess i didn't mention i'm in the cabin next door....that's a very long story, and wasn't supposed to happen at all.....

SaveSave

I would totally still go if I were her. You made it sound like she would be traveling alone. Sounds like a vacation is exactly what she needs!

? if the insurance let her cancel - would that not mean that she was then home alone at a sad time? I am assuming you would still take your cruise?

or is the entire party wishing to cancel? That would make more sense (if it was possible) ??

I don't think anyone here could answer this better than her insurer.

it must have been a tough decision to make - but better this than being in a doomed marriage.

OP, you can view the Allianz policies in detail on their website, but this link indicates that cancellation under your daughter's circumstance would not be covered. See #5 of 'reasons your trip cancellation insurance won't cover you', under their Global Assistance policy. https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/travel/trip-cancellation/trip-cancellation-claim-denied.htm

okay, this is the entire story.....i offered my daughter and her ex husband a paid cruise for 2 weeks for their honeymoon...i told them it would be better for them to cruise out of nyc and gave them a list of cruises....they suggested they would want to go with my husband and myself as the young man had never cruised before and he was more comfortable knowing someone other than my daughter. I said fine. My friend from Australia was booked in the cabin next to me originally but due to the financial cost of flying at this moment in time, she backed out. So I knew there was an empty cabin next to me. They decided to cruise on this cruise. Now as you all know by now, she will be alone in her cabin next to us. I wasn't planning on going on vacation with my adult daughter alone who will be depressed beyond belief knowing that this was her honeymoon. Does this clarify anything for anyone? When I originally posted this, I was more or less in shock over the entire situation. I still am. Done. TIA

^ Thank you for elaborating, but it still brings me (and others) back to the original point that your daughter should contact her insurer. There is no one here who can answer these questions. I understand this is a tough time for her and all involved, but if you want answers, you need to go to the only source who can help.

okay, this is the entire story.....i offered my daughter and her ex husband a paid cruise for 2 weeks for their honeymoon...

Does this clarify anything for anyone? When I originally posted this, I was more or less in shock over the entire situation. I still am. Done. TIA

Not that you needed to clarify anything at all. I am sure you were and still are in total shock. I just don't understand when people ask a simple question hoping to getting an answer from those who have been through a similiar situation only get unsolicitated, unrelated advice or comments back??

That was a very generous offer on your part.

I feel for both of you and your daughter through what must be a difficult time and hope you all have a wonderful cruise.

P.S what does TIA stand for?

Sonja, I am so sorry. This is not a covered reason for cancelation. You and your daughter's cabin will be subject to the cruise line cancelation penalty amount. Since the wedding was supposed to have been this week, I am guessing the cruise is scheduled soon and the penalties are significant.

I am unaware of any way to salvage this unless you are willing to go on the cruise and use it as a meditative and contemplative time....which is not easy, I know, but is the only possibility I can think of other than taking the cancelation penalty loss.

So sorry to hear this. Are you sure "no one" can go with her? No girlfriend, aunt, sister, you? Most people the chance for a free cruise.

eta: nevermind to the above. Just read page 2 of this thread. You are going, your daughter isn't alone. She just doesn't want to go on the cruise anymore and wants to cancel? yes

Something that may help...

If this were our family, Daddy would take the cabin as a single, Mom and Daughter would share the other cabin.

Still less than perfect but maybe an option.

It doesn't matter once onboard any of them can sleep in whichever cabin they want to. May be best to have a "no show" than reprice it as a single. At that point the taxes and port fees will be automatically credited back to the credit card that made the final payment. No one will even ask or care about a "no show".

yes, of course we contacted Allianz.....i thought maybe there was a way around it so i wouldn't lose $5,000.....if you get separated or divorced after you book after final payment, it's fully reimbursable...but not when the wedding is called off..

thanks,

sonja

I'm sorry you weren't able to recoup any of the cruise money - I'm sure it's just a drop in the bucket, compared to the last minute cancellation of all the wedding arrangements. *hugs* You need a cruise!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

yes, of course we contacted Allianz.....i thought maybe there was a way around it so i wouldn't lose $5,000.....if you get separated or divorced after you book after final payment, it's fully reimbursable...but not when the wedding is called off..

thanks,

sonja

How much are you going to lose if you all go on the cruise and your daughter keeps the cabin and just has a "no show" for the second occupant ?

Post 1 OP said cruisline was MSC. Post 37 she said cruise was out of NYC. Does MSC cruise out of NYC?

Insurance companies aren't going to cover cancellation for a noncovered reason unless cancellation for any reason was purchased.

OP didn't list cruise date. It may be too late. Contacting the cruise line is, would have been, the way to go. A long shot. If you're very lucky the ship might have been overbooked. Might ask for part of the fare as a credit for future cruise.