wedding called off; honeymoon cruise now no longer

njsonja

Post 1 OP said cruisline was MSC. Post 37 she said cruise was out of NYC. Does MSC cruise out of NYC?

Insurance companies aren't going to cover cancellation for a noncovered reason unless cancellation for any reason was purchased.

OP didn't list cruise date. It may be too late. Contacting the cruise line is, would have been, the way to go. A long shot. If you're very lucky the ship might have been overbooked. Might ask for part of the fare as a credit for future cruise.

I saw that. What gives? Perhaps a typo?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Only a few options. Go by herself, find a friend, or maybe go by herself and meet a future husband on the ship (and not a ship bartender or officer).

As others have said, this could have been a lucky break (pardon the pun) and the cost is relatively low. Don't blame her though, who would want to marry a guy who wants to spend his honeymoon cruise in a cabin beside his in laws. Very strange.

okay, this is the entire story.....i offered my daughter and her ex husband a paid cruise for 2 weeks for their honeymoon...i told them it would be better for them to cruise out of nyc and gave them a list of cruises....they suggested they would want to go with my husband and myself as the young man had never cruised before and he was more comfortable knowing someone other than my daughter. I said fine. My friend from Australia was booked in the cabin next to me so you have already done one name change - originally but due to the financial cost of flying at this moment in time, she backed out. So I knew there was an empty cabin next to me. They decided to cruise on this cruise. Now as you all know by now, she will be alone in her cabin next to us. I wasn't planning on going on vacation with my adult daughter alone who will be depressed beyond belief knowing that this was her honeymoon. Does this clarify anything for anyone? When I originally posted this, I was more or less in shock over the entire situation. I still am. Done. TIA

Your details are very confusing and spoon fed. Your daughter called off the wedding for her and her ex husband. So she was re-marrying her ex? I don't get what is wrong with traveling alone. She was, after all, traveling with an EX husband. For me, if you want more sympathy or understanding you are going to have to actually give us the proper details. Help my daughter called off the wedding and we are stuck with the honeymoon. The wedding is with her ex. You are just missing a few cogs in this chain. Did you daughter have travel insurance or not? Traveling alone? Hardly. She is traveling with family and just not sleeping in the same bed as someone else. I don't know how old you daughter is because you haven't said if she is 18 or 40, but it sounds like if this is her second wedding she needs to put on her big girls pants and figure out some things. Mama needs to stop bailing her out of her bad choices and start teaching her right - like buying proper travel insurance. Or you should have bought it since you paid for the cruise. Your story just has too many vague "I'm making it up as I go along type facts".

Oh, and no one else can go with her. Very misleading considering that people were already going with her and you conveniently left that out. You just mean there was no one that could go in her cabin because the family was already in other cabins. You just ran out of people for that particular cabin.

Heck you never even filled in the blanks for the ship. It seems you are only giving information after someone says you should have supplied it. Maybe you could actually state your dilemma with all the facts instead of coming back later and going oh well, this and well, that. How hard would have been to say that you can't find anyone else for her cabin because you were already going with her in a different cabin. That would have saved a lot of people trying to help you the time they offered not knowing you already WERE going.

Edited by notentirelynormal

I don't know if OP will read additional replies or not; but think some people are reading waaaay too much into this. I think OP has realized there's no way 'around' the insurance rules st this point. Unfortunately it is what it is. My only suggestion would be that if you do decide to continue with the trip, once you get on the room switch rooms around. Have your husband in a solo room and mom and daughter together. Hopefully to give it less of a 'I'm on my honeymoon alone' feel and more of a 'girls trip to get over a bad break up' feel.

Thanks.....As her mom I "would" go with her and "make it work" regardless of what I would have to do. I guess I just got the impression the "no one" meant friend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

so my daughter called off the wedding last night; it was supposed to happen today; she has a cabin for a 2 week b2b cruise on MSC; she has Allianz travel insurance....can't find anything about this; can find if you are in the midst of a separation or a divorce, that is a legitimate reason to cancel the cruise....

any ideas? would rather not lost that kind of money, she has no one she can go with, I MEAN NO ONE, and the thought of her being alone in a cabin on what was supposed to be her honeymoon cruise makes me nauseous.

please be gentle in your responses....i am in no mood for joking today...

Sorry to hear this. I only read some of the responses so apologize if this has already been suggested. I think your best bet is to contact Allianz. No one on CC will be able to give you a more accurate response.

I agree. Allianz was my first call. I was just networking and seeing if there was something I missed. Thanks everyone.

So what did you finally end up doing?

Going on the cruise with your dh with or without DD?

Or did everyone stay home?

For whatever it's worth, I had to call off a wedding many many years ago and I decided to take a cruise all by myself (not the original honeymoon cruise, but a solo cruise that I booked later on). It was one of the best decisions of my life to go on that vacation all by myself. To disconnect, to heal, and to have time to think about what had just happened and how to move on from there, without having anybody giving me their advice. Although loved ones mean well when they give advice, many times it's better to figure things out on one's own.

Besides healing, many good decisions came out of that vacation. Decisions that went against what my parents and closest friends would've advised, but that I'm very grateful for all these years later. I wouldn't have the blessed life that I have now had it not been for the decisions that I made then.

To the OP: There are some details that are a bit murky about your post, but I would suggest that the husband is a no show and that your daughter cruises solo. More importantly, if you are sailing on that same cruise, I also suggest that you allow her some time to herself.

Just curious but did you mean an MSC cruise out of NYC? It's been years since MSC sailed from there.

That's great news. I hope you can enjoy yourself and get much needed relaxation. Hopefully one day in the future this becomes a faint memory and you can look at it as a good thing to have happened.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for coming back with the update.

We are going. The 3 of us. She in one cabin. DH and I in the cabin next door. And so it goes.

Good for the three of you. As the saying goes, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade". What better way to move past an unpleasant situation than to do something distracting like taking a long cruise to new places to explore.