Calling all Mexican Riviera cruisers....

A&Jfamily

Can you help this east coast girl with some inside scoop? We have used the $1 downpayments to reserve the Star in 2018 in mid-December. We have cruised on the Grand so know what to expect in terms of the ship.

A little about us...we are traveling with our boys who will be 14 and 20. We have cruised the majority of the Caribbean and SE Alaska as a family, DH and I have traveled to the coast of Portland, and I have visited LA, San Diego and Hawaii...but never this far south on the West Coast. We love animals, nature and generally being outside.

I posted a similar request for information on the ports of call board with no results.

So, what should we expect in terms of weather? How is this different from the Caribbean (other than the water is colder, deeper and not as turquoise)? Do you have recommendations for shore excursions? Are these ports ones that you would do on your own? Or do you recommend particular ship tours or local providers? Anything not to be missed?

I will read up on TA before firming up anything (I have tons of time!:o) but I would love to hear your first hand accounts!

We have done the Mexican Reviera (MR) several times...easy cruise for us in California. We also took advantage of the $1deposit yesterday and booked MR for 2019 on Royal. Haven't been there for a few years but have always had fun. We did ship excursions in the beginning and enjoyed ourselves...not sure what excursions are offered now.

We now love doing the ports on our own especially the Rubicon in Puerta Vallarta. We also do Cabo on our own and really enjoy that. Not a big fan of Mazatlan so we hang out at the port for a few hours. All that said we will still check out ship excursions.

The weather in December is usually nice...low humidity in the 70s. However as weather usually goes that can change.

For your first time check out the excursions offered by the ship and go from there. Also check out the ports of call threads here on CC you will find a wealth of info.

I think you will like Mexico the people are courteous and friendly. But with every travel destination use caution and be aware of your surroundings.

Enjoy your cruise.

Check out the Mexican Riviera, West Coast Departure and California Coastal boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree. Do some reading there. You will find lots of info on weather, activities in each port, just about everything you will ever need. For weather, a simple Google search (for example, "December Puerto Vallarta weather, or whichever ports you stop at) will get you factual. ..not anecdotal, weather info.

One thing to know, we do get chilly weather in SoCal. Maybe not as cold as back east but it's not always sunny and hot here.

Onboard the seas will be cold at night, the ports should be pleasant.

Check weather.com before you leave.

The first and last days will be cool. If you want to take an amazing tour in PV, Google Rio Cuale zip line. It costs about half what the ship charges and it is an experience of a lifetime. In Cabo a beach day is easy to do on your own. In Mazatlan you can walk downtown following the blue line. The ports board will have info on this. When downtown try the Panama restaurant. Great food in a modern clean place. Great desserts too.

Years ago we did a private excursion with Randy's Happy Horses. Randy has since passed away, but her cohorts have continued on with the business. We took local transportation, which was interesting and good for our teenage boys to see, and we rode the horses on Stone Island which is right across from the ship. At one point we were riding on the beach, we were the only ones on the beach! We then had more than we could eat while sitting with our feet in the sand.

We just did the Los Veranos zip line in Puerto Vallarta, I was very impressed! The crew was outstanding, and we had 14 stages. It ends at a restaurant by a stream with a slide into the water for those that want to swim. They brought some animals by our table and they have some to check out. We walked to their office near the port and they bussed us down to their facility which was south of town in the mountains. i believe they were the first zip line in North America.

I enjoyed snorkeling in Cabo and the port is easy to walk around. Several times heading back north just past Cabo we spotted a large pod of dolphins, watch for them! :)

At least the first two days and last day will be chilly so bring a sweatshirt [emoji2] while in Mexico it will be very nice temperature wise. We love going to Hotel Playa Mazatlan while in Mazatlan.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My wife really enjoyed the Las Caletas excursion out of Puerto Vallarta. It's about a 40 minute (?) catamaran ride to the island with drinks included as soon as you leave the dock at PV. There was lunch and swimming and loungers and water toys as well as drinks (all included) while at Las Caletas and then drinks again on the return trip. She had a great time fiddling around in the sea and I mostly enjoyed the lounger and the drinks. :)

If your cruise stops in Ensenada don't expect much there. It's a port where many people just stay on the ship. I doubt a Mexican Rivera cruise will stop there though.The original Husson's Cantina is located there but it's really what one might call a "pit" or a "dive" Actually the entire town is a pit. We had a Mexican steward on one cruise who asked that we "Please don't judge Mexico or the Mexican people by this port". Once we disembarked we understood what she meant.

Cabo San Lucas is extremely "touristy" and has a ton of vendors selling the same stuff. My wife bought my daughter a nice bracelet there but she paid about half what the guy was asking and I'm sure he still made money or he wouldn't have sold it to her. I would suggest an excursion in this port unless you are into that sort of shopping or wanting to eat and drink.

Loreto is a very nice little town with friendly people and a nice bit of beach. In Loreto we just walked around. They had the absolute best Mariachi band I've ever heard playing in the plaza. There were people who booked a walking tour in Loreto but they were walking and being lectured in the same places we were visiting and we didn't pay for a tour. I would suggest just doing this one on your own rather than paying Princess for a "tour".

La Paz can be a bit of a hassle. We ended up waiting in line for 30 minutes to get on a bus that took another 30 minutes to get to town. It was the same thing heading back to the ship. We didn't have an excursion there so we just walked along the malecon and had a drink. The whole hassle of getting there kind of took the wind out of our sails. There is actually shopping right outside the ship where you end up waiting for the bus. It would likely be best to disembark early and have an excursion planned for this port.

The last time we did Mexico Princess wasn't offering Mazatlan or Manzanillo so I have no info on those ports but plan to find out first hand one of these days - probably on Royal Princess once she is based on the west coast.

We enjoy doing the Mexican Riviera since it's so easy from the West coast. It's a lot different than the Caribbean. I love swimming in the Caribbean ocean, I don't do it in the Pacific. I love Mexican food, so that's a huge plus on a Mexican Riviera cruise. We enjoy the cultural feel of downtown Puerto Vallarta with the great shops and local artisans selling their works on the street. We enjoy shopping down there, checking out the cathedral, and walking the Malecon. There is a little breakfast place right outside of the cathedral that has great breakfast. I am not a fan of Mazatlan but would probably do a ship tour if it was my first time. The message boards will have a lot of information for doing excursions yourself there. We love Cabo and vacation there regularly. We like Medano beach when we are on a cruise, but beware of jelly fish (medusas). We haven't had any problems, but have heard of others getting stung. we usually find a restaurant on the beach, and the kids play in the ocean while we watch, and eat.

The weather is warm in the fall, but not too hot. It's still nice. Sweaters in the evenings, but I always have a light sweater for the evening.

We cruise to Mexico every December and have always had perfect weather. The people who run the various excursions really want you to have a great time, and I do recommend taking them. Mexican excursions are reasonable in cost and I feel the value is generally good. In Cabo, you must take a sailing excursion! There is nothing like Cabo from the water. These excursions generally include snorkeling and ones that include beverages and lunch are nice. We have done several and are trying Luxury Day Sail this December. Last December, we saw active and beautiful whales, Rays, and flying fish on a similar excursion, nice bonuses! Puerto Vallarta has the amazing Las Caletas, perfect for all family members. I highly recommend! Mazatlan is fun to explore on your own. The taxi drivers are a gun bunch, and it is fun to just walk around and explore this town.

A 7 day Mexico cruise is similar to a 7 day Caribbean cruise. Expect a similar on board experience.

There is a long time for you to do research. There are beach resorts and water activities at these ports. In Cabo the ship's tender docks in an active marina area with restaurants, bars, & shops. There are also people at the dock offering tours. In Puerto Vallarta we took a taxi to and from the Malecon, a large beachfront boardwalk area, with restaurants and shops. There isn't much right where the ship docks. We have no experience in Mazalan.

There are no roll calls yet for the Star Princess December 2018 cruises. You may wish to start one. It probably will not become very active until sometime in 2018.

Since you just booked this cruise, be sure to watch for new promos that come up.

The first and last days will be cool. If you want to take an amazing tour in PV, Google Rio Cuale zip line. It costs about half what the ship charges and it is an experience of a lifetime. In Cabo a beach day is easy to do on your own. In Mazatlan you can walk downtown following the blue line. The ports board will have info on this. When downtown try the Panama restaurant. Great food in a modern clean place. Great desserts too.

Thanks! This is just the kind of information I am looking for - that is often hard to find because it is buried on the ports of call threads...little restaurants or particular providers where posters have first hand experience.

Can anyone tell me if Cabo or PV would be better for whale watching? It sounds like Cabo? If so will they specifically do that from a sailboat (we do love our sailing!) or should we look into a zodiac?

We took the Princess excursion at Cabo where we rode a sleek sailing boat, (not a catamaran). First we motored on a scenic voyage with a stop at a beach where we could snorkel. On the return we shut off the motor and hoisted sail for a great ride. We saw a couple of whales and something we have never seen before--stingrays jumping out of the water much like dolphins. We also saw a sea lion leap up on the platform on the back of a fishing boat as it was returning to the pier. It knew the fishermen would be getting rid of their unused bait and he hopped on to beg for it.

Can anyone tell me if Cabo or PV would be better for whale watching? It sounds like Cabo? If so will they specifically do that from a sailboat (we do love our sailing!) or should we look into a zodiac?

I think Cabo is probably better for whale watching. I'm with you about sailing. I'd never take a bumpy, ugly zodiac if I could sail instead.

Check this outfit for whale watching and other excursions. I've had good luck with them. Scroll down and you'll see they have tours in a half dozen other places, including Mazatlan and PV.

http://www.cabosanlucastours.net/About-Us.htm

IN GENERAL:

Yes, Mexico is much different than the Caribbean, and I actually like it better because the people and the culture just seem more real to me. I'm sure others will disagree. Lots of Caribbean cruisers are disappointed in the Mexican Riviera, because it involves a real ocean rather than a placid turquoise sea. And if you want the postcard beaches, well that's the Caribbean.

I'd also veer from the crowd on Mazatlan. Some find it unappealing, but we love it, because it's a real Mexican city with tourist facilities rather than a made-for-tourists facade like Cabo. We stayed a week at the Hotel Playa Mazatlan a year ago and found that the clientele was about one-third Mexicans, one-third Americans and the rest from all over the world. That made it an enriching travel experience.

When you dock in Mazatlan, you can follow the blue line, as joeyancho said, and end up at Plaza Machaco. Or you can take one of the golf cart contraptions called pulmonias downtown. They're fun and cheap. Once there, you'll probably find the Blue Shirts, a group of U.S. ex-pat volunteers who are there just to help you.

There's a restaurant near Plaza Machado called Topolo, where we had some of the best meals ever, but I think they don't open till about 3 p.m.

PV is definitely a tourist town, but has a real charm.

Jim

I think Cabo is probably better for whale watching. I'm with you about sailing. I'd never take a bumpy, ugly zodiac if I could sail instead.

Check this outfit for whale watching and other excursions. I've had good luck with them. Scroll down and you'll see they have tours in a half dozen other places, including Mazatlan and PV.

http://www.cabosanlucastours.net/About-Us.htm

IN GENERAL:

Yes, Mexico is much different than the Caribbean, and I actually like it better because the people and the culture just seem more real to me. I'm sure others will disagree. Lots of Caribbean cruisers are disappointed in the Mexican Riviera, because it involves a real ocean rather than a placid turquoise sea. And if you want the postcard beaches, well that's the Caribbean.

I'd also veer from the crowd on Mazatlan. Some find it unappealing, but we love it, because it's a real Mexican city with tourist facilities rather than a made-for-tourists facade like Cabo. We stayed a week at the Hotel Playa Mazatlan a year ago and found that the clientele was about one-third Mexicans, one-third Americans and the rest from all over the world. That made it an enriching travel experience.

When you dock in Mazatlan, you can follow the blue line, as joeyancho said, and end up at Plaza Machaco. Or you can take one of the golf cart contraptions called pulmonias downtown. They're fun and cheap. Once there, you'll probably find the Blue Shirts, a group of U.S. ex-pat volunteers who are there just to help you.

There's a restaurant near Plaza Machado called Topolo, where we had some of the best meals ever, but I think they don't open till about 3 p.m.

PV is definitely a tourist town, but has a real charm.

Jim

Thank you! Very helpful!

We will love Mazatlan I am sure - we are more explorers and travelers than tourists. We like to meet local people and eat local food. When we have sailed in the Caribbean we have made repeated efforts to get out with a local guide.

In Cabo zodiac might be the way to go sadly since we are there in mid December and may have to go farther a field to find the whales. I am still researching that one....

My biggest unknown at this point is PV - I'm not sure I want to spend $140 to go to Las Caletas - it sounds like an expensive beach day and that just isn't our thing....Am I missing something about this place?

Like another poster stated you may want to whale watch. It will be the very beginning of whale watching season so you might get lucky. I do recommend the zodiac out of Cabo. You can arrange this yourself. I think the ride on the zodiac is worth the money even if you don't see whales. You kids will love it.

My biggest unknown at this point is PV - I'm not sure I want to spend $140 to go to Las Caletas - it sounds like an expensive beach day and that just isn't our thing....Am I missing something about this place?

For our cruise in January, Las Caletas is $100, not $140. Lots of people like it. I'm thinking about doing it in January, but only because we've already spent a fair amount of time in PV.

Since you've never been to PV before, I think you'd be better off either just winging it with a cab into town or taking one of the reasonable "city highlights" type ship tours that gives you time to amble around town. I wouldn't do any tour that took you away from town for the whole time. It's a good town to just walk around and shop, etc.

Jim

I've been to Mexico many times. There's a company in PV called "Tours by Locals". Our driver's name was Cervando. His van will hold eight people. The cost is reasonable and the tour was amazing, with the highlight being the Spanish Colonial town of San Sebastian. Everything about his tour is top-notch. You won't be disappointed.

In Cabo, I think that the Zodiac boats are amazing. We had a pod of dolphins swimming right next to us and we saw whales too!

In Mazatlan, I would second the recommendation for a day on Stone Island. You can book a tour through the ship or go on your own.

The blue line is a nice feature of the city and gets you to the old town quite easily. Also police are stationed along the route. Grab a margarita at one of the cafes on the square. When we were there last year they were $1.

Whale watching is a real crap shoot. For example, we live in Puerto Vallarta (in the winter) and only saw a few whales in Jan-Mar this year. Warmer waters in the Bay of Bandaras tends to keep the whales further offshore. But the better whale watching boat tours reported a lot of whale activity outside sight of our condo :(. Mid-December is just the beginning of the whale watching season....which usually peaks in Jan-Feb. We think Cabo is probably the better choice in December...but that is even early for that port. My own recommendation for those who live on the East Coast is drive up to Mass. (we like Gloucester) where they have a pretty long (and very active) whale watching season from about April-October,

Hank

A question for the folks who do excursions: We don't snorkel and most of the excursions seem to be geared that way. Has anybody ever taken a Glass Bottom Boat? If so, was it good? Bad? Horrible? Simply "meh"? We have never done a GBB and have wondered about them.

A question for the folks who do excursions: We don't snorkel and most of the excursions seem to be geared that way. Has anybody ever taken a Glass Bottom Boat? If so, was it good? Bad? Horrible? Simply "meh"? We have never done a GBB and have wondered about them.

You can grab one at the pier where the tender lets you off the ship. IMHO, the glass bottom boat is bad, but if you have never been to the arches, you get a little tour out there and you might see some seals or dolphins. Then have them drop you off at "The Office" for margaritas and cerviche, or guacamole. If you skip the tour and go straight to the office, it's about a third of the price. I was there in January and I think it was around $20.00 for the tour and about $7.00 to get dropped off at the beach. That was for a roundtrip, and they will come back and get you. I've done this a few times.

Whale watching is a real crap shoot. For example, we live in Puerto Vallarta (in the winter) and only saw a few whales in Jan-Mar this year. Warmer waters in the Bay of Bandaras tends to keep the whales further offshore. But the better whale watching boat tours reported a lot of whale activity outside sight of our condo :(. Mid-December is just the beginning of the whale watching season....which usually peaks in Jan-Feb. We think Cabo is probably the better choice in December...but that is even early for that port. My own recommendation for those who live on the East Coast is drive up to Mass. (we like Gloucester) where they have a pretty long (and very active) whale watching season from about April-October,

Hank

Believe it or not we have humpbacks off the coast of VA about 30 minutes from my house. But they are here in the winter and being on the mid-Atlantic in January is just *^%# cold!.

We have also seen them in Alaska on a private trip in Juneau.

Just hoping to see them in warm weather. We occasionally have spotted them in March in the Caribbean but it isn't common. We "usually" have pretty good luck with our animal sightings so the zodiac might be the ticket!