Near riot on Silhouette on 5/27

TeanneTX

Absolutely true, as I mentioned in previous post on this topic. Our private tour company (Red October) also sent us a similar letter to be used if we had any trouble disembarking/immigration in St. Petersburg, but stated this only seemed to be a problem with Celebrity! No problems at all since we made the choice to go with HAL.

We were in St. Petersburg on a Celebrity cruise and we also did a tour with a independent tour company. We never were given any information, verbal or letter, from our tour company indicating that disembarking and immigration were a problem with Celebrity.

We got off the ship quickly and were through immigration with only a short wait. There was a lane (could have been 2) for immigration where the ship tour participants were directed. It was very easy and flowed smoothly.

All of this could have been avoided without such a hassle for all passengers. Unfortunately, it created some chaos and misunderstanding that needs to be prevented.

My DH and I had no issues at all getting off the Eclipse several years ago for our private tour that was just the two of us. Evidently, they had certain procedures in force and everyone followed them. However, you can only do what you can do and this is where patience is truly a virtue!

I hope that Celebrity reads this post and investigates what went wrong; otherwise it may happen again. Were there extenuating circumstances? Did this cause a domino effect...etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No-this is wrong. I'm totally talking about the immigration line-NOT the line to get off the ship. Most of the ships tours were taken upstairs and we think they had their own private immigration line to go through. We "think" that line got too long so they brought people downstairs to the lines that everyone else was waiting patiently in. This was long after everyone had gotten off the ship. Totally about immigration.

Teanne

I have to say, Teanne, that I understand exactly why you were annoyed. I would be too!

I think previous experiences in St. Petersburg, whether with Celebrity or not, are worthless. Because you were able to get off and proceed through immigration, whether is was 5 weeks or 5 years ago, is immaterial.

The OP had a very unique problem. Never have seen this anywhere in the world, and we have had to clear immigration in dozens of ports worldwide. If the =X= tour pax get off first, I would have no problem. But to jump the line that was already formed to put their folks ahead of those already standing there is a totally different issue.

All I can add to this is my experience on Eclipse in June 2015.

I had read that immigration delays were common and my tour operator, Alla, mentioned that they would only wait 30 mins for anyone booked who did not get through by the stated time. Actually, if i remember correctly they said they would arrange a taxi for anyone in this situation to "catch up" with the group.

We had an early breakfast and left the cabin as soon as we saw people in the immigration queues. Although we were in a suite we did not seek any priority and simply walked off the ship. There were maybe 8 gates open at immigration and you were free to join any of the queues you wanted...surprisingly they were of varying lengths, because family/other groups tended to join the same line. The line we joined maybe had 10 people in front of us. As someone else mentioned earlier every person is dealt with individually, and whilst in the queue each one seems to take forever. They do seem to check and double check everything before stamping umpteen pieces of paper, and then waving you on without a smile.

We were actually through the process in about 20 minutes, so maybe 2 mins per person. If anybody had asked me I would have guessed that each person took over 5 mins. Reality is often different to perception.

We had to wait about 20 minutes after getting through for the first Alla person to turn up who just told us where to gather...then another 10 until someone else turned up and allocated us to a group. It was not a private tour. Even after all this we thenwalked to the tour van nearby, met our driver, and set off more than 20 minutes earlier than the scheduled time.

The whole process was much less painless than I had been led to believe.

I have no idea how the Celebrity tour people were dealt with as i never saw them.

I hope that my experience might be helpful to some people with upcoming cruises.

Those that purchase excursions/tours from Celebrity should be let off the ship first and all the rest of the passengers should follow, but none of them should be treated any differently.

I don't agree with you for ports where the ship is docked. I think it's a little disingenuous of Celebrity (or any cruise line) to try to get all their tours through immigration ahead of independent passengers, especially when they try to convince everyone that it's because of the local authorities. To me, immigration is a function of the host country and has nothing to do with the cruise line unless a ship's facilities are being used to process passengers.

Yes, immigration in St. Petersburg is slow, but that doesn't mean any group of passengers should have priority over others because of their tour type. It's a tedious local process that has nothing to do with the ship. I've read too many complaints about things like this happening in St. Petersburg to think this is an isolated incident. I also know in my experience we were told an announcement would be made "the minute" the ship was cleared. That wasn't true. The staff of the Connie disembarked all the tours before an announcement was made.

If tendering is involved, then yes, ship's tours should have priority. That process involves the ship's staff and frequently the ship's lifeboats, therefore is under the control of the ship.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You probably shouldn't have labeled it "near riot", blamed Celebrity and said you pushed someone.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

And the title of the thread is misleading, as it stated "Near Riot ON the Silhouette," which we now have learned that it did not occur ON the ship after all, but in the immigration line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And the title of the thread is misleading, as it stated "Near Riot ON the Silhouette," which we now have learned that it did not occur ON the ship after all, but in the immigration line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is a "near riot"? It seems to me that a cruiser became impatient waiting in line and did not remember it was vacation. It would be interesting to get a report from another person.

I have paid more to go on the ship's cruise as I know there are advantages. Plus, I have some status as well. There have been advantages given to us and I feel we have paid/earned them. I have booked private excursions and realize that the ship's excursions will take priority and I accept that. We plan accordingly.

You say the lines going into immigration

That sounds like the lines forming on the ship to get off. So it's on celebrity real estate

If you said the actual lines in front of the immigration desk it would be a different story

I'm thinking of a Baltic cruise and it sounds like a mega ship or a ship with 2300 or so isn't the best idea

I believe I'll look into smaller ships for this itin

In most countries you are well off the ship before you start to queue for immigration. Maybe US is different. But not elsewhere in the world.

If Celebrity disrupted the queue who had formed properly in Dubai then it is they who would have been in trouble. They do not like queue jumpers in their process.

Sorry but ship excursions take priority over private ones.

_Only_ on the ship.

Being on a ship excursion doesn't give you priority over a private group in the Hermitage, in the local restaurant - nor at Immigration.

That said, it sounds like some who take ship tours are trying to create more justification for paying the high price they do...

The same applies to you. You really need to properly read the original post.

Thanks, but I did. That's why it was apparent that this was the line queuing for immigration. And if you're not sure as you appear to be you don't make stories up to suit your own position.

if, in the immigration hall, there were passengers from another Cruise Line queuing, would they to be expected to stand back and allow a Celebrity excursion to jump the queue? I doubt it.

Does it mention it in the T&Cs that Celebrity Excursions have priority and you must let them go ahead (once physically off the ship)?

Lots of countries have expedited immigration queues for those prepared to pay (airlines, hotel limo services, for the disabled, VIPs)

if, in the immigration hall, there were passengers from another Cruise Line queuing, would they to be expected to stand back and allow a Celebrity excursion to jump the queue? I doubt it.

Now that would create a riot. I'm yet to experience SPB but if it is anything like Istanbul where three ship loads converged into the one entrance to immigration then Celebrity wouldn't even know whose passengers were on their ship.

Never have enjoyed the PERK of getting off the ship early or in front of everyone else, but If I had a private tour waiting that I had to meet I would be up set. Having said that, most private tours, understand and will not leave a booked person, even if they are a little late, they know the rules.

However, X and others cruise lines, need to come up with a less intrusive way of getting their tours off the ship, after all they are dealing with moving a small city.

Now that would create a riot. I'm yet to experience SPB but if it is anything like Istanbul where three ship loads converged into the one entrance to immigration then Celebrity wouldn't even know whose passengers were on their ship.

St. Petersburg is very controlled. Each berth has its own terminal building/immigration hall.

St. Petersburg is very controlled. Each berth has its own terminal building/immigration hall.

Thanks. That should help when multiple ships are in port. But not so much if Celebrity push past guests already queued for immigration (not getting off the ship)

There are 7 berths sharing 4 terminals, so it is up to the local authorities whether multiple ships share terminal processing facilities.

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't realize there were more berths than terminals, probably because there weren't that many ships in port when I was there. Each ship had its own terminal building.

Forgive me if I'm missing something here but wasn't the OP already off the ship and going through immigration? So priority for ships tours shouldn't really affect things at that stage.

That's already been determined - quite a few posts ago.

How can this come as a surprise to you? Of course they let the people on their excursions off first. This is a risk you take booking your own.

Agree, ship book tours trump non ship. It has always been this way since we started cruising in 1987 on all 7 of the lines we have sailed.

OP, ya giving Texas a bad me first look to the rest of the world.

The cruiselines use it as a hook sometimes too to get you to book saying you have priority debarkation in ports because you booked thru them

Yes I know I know...but honestly short of getting yourself arrested in a foreign port for causing problems, what can you do?

In the future don't book that cruiseline...check how many ships are in port that day before you book ship or private excursions or even book that particular ship and date and just look for a different date...although not guaranteed of course not to change

For me....I'd just wait in line and perhaps a stern no you can't cut in front of me so go to another line

But shoving...NOT in a million years

Almost got arrested in 1978 for taking a pix of an Egyptian airline plane in Luxor. Lucky they didn't grab my camera and lucky the much younger me did not mouth off but just said sorry I didn't realize.