Will Oceania match Viking policy?

Big Easy

Viking oceans allows any potable liquids to be brought on board. You may consume what you bring on board anywhere on board. You do not have to camouflage your drink. There is no corkage fee. Glasses are happily supplied.

Viking oceans allows any potable liquids to be brought on board. You may consume what you bring on board anywhere on board. You do not have to camouflage your drink. There is no corkage fee. Glasses are happily supplied.

I hope not. Don't want to see Oceania become Bourbon Street.

You can bring wine, beer & spirits onboard for use in your cabin

If you take wine to the dining venues then you pay the corkage fee

If they allowed people to BYOB & wander freely with drinks it will cut into their profits so cannot see their policy changing

I believe that Oceania has the "best" policy of all the cruise lines concerning consumption of alcoholic beverages. The policy respects the maturity of individuals who want to have a drink in their cabins.

We are all adults and I believe Oceania's policy treats us as adults.

That's not their policy.

Since wine is included in their lunch and dinner venues, you are providing your own beverage. You cannot consume whatever wherever.

Thanks for that info, Lou. I was wondering about this because whenever we've been on Viking's river boats liquor was not totally free. As you said, wine is free at meals. On our last cruise they had a package available for anytime/anywhere. About the same price as Oceania's as I recall, but that was a while ago and my memory could be off.

Mura

Thanks for that info, Lou. I was wondering about this because whenever we've been on Viking's river boats liquor was not totally free. As you said, wine is free at meals. On our last cruise they had a package available for anytime/anywhere. About the same price as Oceania's as I recall, but that was a while ago and my memory could be off.

Mura

I believe that the OP is speaking about Viking Ocean policy, Mura, which may or may not be the same as Viking River.

according to their website they do have a Beverage package

<<<For those who would like premium cocktails or wines and spirits, Viking offers the Silver Spirits beverage package.>>>>

There is a PDF file with the cost per length of cruise

https://www.vikingcruisescanada.com/oceans/frequently-asked-questions.html#LIFEABOARD-FAQ-LIST/57202

Edited by LHT28

I would agree-let's hope not, the last thing I want to see is someone that would carry a bottle of gin (or what) around in a bar or dinner. When we would bring wine on the ship, it would be a bottle they didn't carry and a corkage is OK with me.

Rick

Passengers who would even consider camouflaging their own booze in public spaces are few and far between on Oceania.

That $25 corkage is chump change for that exceptional $50+ (retail) "deep end" Mendo Pinot Noir, which you'd never be able to buy onboard (and which would cost at least $150 if they did have it available).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe that the OP is speaking about Viking Ocean policy, Mura, which may or may not be the same as Viking River.

I was aware that OP was speaking ab out Viking Oceans. That was quite clear. But I didn't understand why the policy would be different between the ocean ships sand the river boats -- although there's no reason why they would HAVE to be the same, I agree. Which is why I didn't post earlier.

But I know that Lou has been on the ocean ships and so it would appear from his post that the policies are indeed the same.

Mura

We have no complaints with Oceania's policy. Gives us most of what we need. The only better thing for us would be all inclusive which probably will never happen. :):)

We have no complaints with Oceania's policy. Gives us most of what we need. The only better thing for us would be all inclusive which probably will never happen. :):)

It's not likely to happen - thank goodness - as it would compete with their sister company Regent.

If you want all inclusive why not cruise on Regent?

It's not likely to happen - thank goodness - as it would compete with their sister company Regent.

If you want all inclusive why not cruise on Regent?

Having been of both we like Oceania better. Think food is much better. Love the staff and all the dining options. In a perfect world I would like all inclusive but will not change from O.

Just get the Beverage Package and be done with it. Once you're past ten cruises with PPG and getting the BP as a perk it's almost the same as all inclusive. Use OBC for some excursions and you're set.

No corkage was charged on our recent Regent Explorer cruise. We bought six bottles of red wine in Key West.

No problem.

It's like saying that "free air" on Oceania is free. We all know that it is included rather than free.

Likewise, I suspect that all liquor on Regent is "free" whether it is brought on or not - it is paid for in the cruise fare.

No corkage was charged on our recent Regent Explorer cruise. We bought six bottles of red wine in Key West.

No problem.

I thought Regent had free wine, beer & spirits ???

I thought Regent had free wine, beer & spirits ???

Yes it is included. As it was just said you pay one way or the other. Free is the same as included. Right?

Yes it is included. As it was just said you pay one way or the other. Free is the same as included. Right?

yes as in you have already paid for it upfront in your cruise fare ...no refund for not drinking the stuff on the ship

yes as in you have already paid for it upfront in your cruise fare ...no refund for not drinking the stuff on the ship

Very true. We have done it both ways being on Regent and Silver Sea. All inclusive is a nice way of meeting people in the lounge before dinner for a drink and not thing about if we should buy or not. On O we try and sometimes they try, but is nice not to have to think about it. Granted a very little thing but nice nevertheless.

On my Viking River Cruise, the wine was such plonk we didn't drink it. By the third day of the cruise over half the people were bringing their own to dinner. They gave us nothing free in our opinion, but we first paid for the crap to begin with! There is no part of Viking I want O to copy, especially the mediocre food!

Very true. We have done it both ways being on Regent and Silver Sea. All inclusive is a nice way of meeting people in the lounge before dinner for a drink and not thing about if we should buy or not. On O we try and sometimes they try, but is nice not to have to think about it. Granted a very little thing but nice nevertheless.

Never had a problem on O whether to buy or not

Most people we met buy their own & we buy our own & still enjoyed each other company

Never crossed my mind that chatting with people in the lounge that either party was obligated to buy a round