New MSC Ships in the 2020's, as a Royal Comparison

Seems like MSC likes to just take a bunch of ideas from other cruise lines, and then put them all together on one ship.

The World Class has a very similar aft to Oasis Class, with the split superstructure. And Meraviglia has an aft lounge very similar to Two70, and an area very similar to the Royal Promenade.

So no, I don't think the new MSC ships are the most innovative at sea. More like taking years-old innovations from other cruise lines and putting their own small twist on them.

LMAO! Well if that is the case, then RCI took the idea from CCL for water slides, and RCI & CCL took the idea from NCL about a "freestyle" type of dining, Princess took from NCL the crap painting on the hull, One cruise line copied another on specialty restaurants, and drink packages, and automatic tipping, and who had azipods first, and who started building balconies with standard cabins... the list goes on and on. :rolleyes:

I mean seriously... they are all evolving to meet their guests needs, and evolving in ship design.

Will be boarding the new Seaside Jan 27, soon after it arrives in Miami. Looking forward to trying YC. I guess we'll see about all the hype.........and how it actually functions.

Seems like MSC likes to just take a bunch of ideas from other cruise lines, and then put them all together on one ship.

The World Class has a very similar aft to Oasis Class, with the split superstructure. And Meraviglia has an aft lounge very similar to Two70, and an area very similar to the Royal Promenade.

So no, I don't think the new MSC ships are the most innovative at sea. More like taking years-old innovations from other cruise lines and putting their own small twist on them.

I guess you have not looked at any of the features or even taken a look at deck plans for any of their new ships. Let us know when you are old enough to make your own bookings or sail on MSC. Booker for Seaside in 2018 at less than 1/2 price of Harmony. Looking forward to a ship where I can see the sea again. That's the biggest fault, IMO, of Oasis class; too much focused inwards even though they are undoubtedly technical and engineering marvels.

Edited by LMaxwell

MSC's World Class ship is pretty amazing looking.

I agree with you, and I think this is the way the future will go, just take a look at the Virgin Ships in the works. I am pretty excited about it!

• 6 months later...

Well MSC will have two large ships in Miami by 2019: MSC Seaside & Meraviglia. Perhaps Royal will up its game with service and meal standards and reduce its current pricing? Unlike the US airlines, in cruising, there is still a thing called competition.

Well MSC will have two large ships in Miami by 2019: MSC Seaside & Meraviglia. Perhaps Royal will up its game with service and meal standards and reduce its current pricing? Unlike the US airlines, in cruising, there is still a thing called competition.

Improve product and reduce price. 😱

Unfortunately Royal doesn't have a cargo/container fleet to subsidize its cruise business.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Improve product and reduce price. [emoji33]

Unfortunately Royal doesn't have a cargo/container fleet to subsidize its cruise business.

In the past years cargo business from most shipping lines was not good for making profit but the cruise business was.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In the past years cargo business from most shipping lines was not good for making profit but the cruise business was.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Everything is cyclical. Unfortunately, the second largest container shipper in the world is privately held and is not required to post financial data.

They do have deep pockets

Why would they do that? They sell out charging what they do.

MSC's new Meraviglia's first cruise, a 7 night on 4th June from Le Havre to Genoa is being offered for $477 for a balcony. Something wrong its that cheap. Wish I had seen that earlier.

MSC has really good pricing and very nicely designed ships......I just do not like their confusion at shore office and on board. Hopefully they will work on it. I love their on board offerings, their price point, shows, cabins, and for a good itinerary I would overlook the confusion aspect and go for it again. And since someone already started this thread, I will ask my question here:

Which cruise to select: the Serenade Repo from Boston to FLL (12 nights) or the MSC Meragvilia Repo (14 days) from NYC to Miami. Both itineraries are similar, price is in the same range.

• 2 weeks later...

The MSC Seaside is here in Miami, I wonder what this will do to Royals revenue for Miami? Also they will have Meragvilia in NYC, then onto Miami. My experience is that Service & Hospitality are a big problem with MSC, yet their Yacht Club, could be a problem for Royal's premium offerings!

The MSC Seaside is here in Miami, I wonder what this will do to Royals revenue for Miami? Also they will have Meragvilia in NYC, then onto Miami. My experience is that Service & Hospitality are a big problem with MSC, yet their Yacht Club, could be a problem for Royal's premium offerings!

Hoping the competition puts some downward pressure on RC prices.