So excited! Making my parents' dream come true

ohhbother

I'm so excited, and I have to tell someone. I just booked a 10-night European cruise (April 2018) on Sapphire Princess for me, my DH and my parents. My parents have never been to Europe, and my dad is turning 70 this year. I figured now is the time to make this happen. Cannot WAIT to reveal the surprise on Christmas Eve. It's going to be torture keeping the secret until then. I knew you guys would understand!!

Hopefully your parents don't have other plans... It's a great Christmas present but surprises don't always go as expected.

I wish someone would by me a cruise. If, for some reason, your parents can't make it my wife and I will gladly fill in for them. :cool:

I'm so excited, and I have to tell someone. I just booked a 10-night European cruise (April 2018) on Sapphire Princess for me, my DH and my parents. My parents have never been to Europe, and my dad is turning 70 this year. I figured now is the time to make this happen. Cannot WAIT to reveal the surprise on Christmas Eve. It's going to be torture keeping the secret until then. I knew you guys would understand!!

That's great! The Sapphire is scheduled for a 2 week drydock ending on 3/23/18 before sailing from Asia to Europe for a summer season.

The Sapphire is one of our favorite ships & we're looking forward to sailing the ship around Norway in June. If after the cruise you have time to do a review about any drydock modifications that would be greatly appreciated. :)

It is a nice thing, but I would not wait until Christmas Eve to inform your parents, that's 6 months away. Your parents will have a lot of planning to do during now and Christmas. Some items: get or update their passports; arrange air which has to be in their name and match exactly to their passports; join the roll call and arrange tours; arrange for travel insurance, reschedule Drs. appointments, and probably more. Even though you booked the cruise and are paying for it don't forget that everything for them on the ship and regarding the air travel will be in their names. The earlier you start the better it is for you and them.

Have you thought of a clever way to tell them? Maybe give them a European travel book first, then maybe those plastic luggage tag holders next, etc. Might be kinda fun to do it that way.

You are so smart to travel with them now while you can. Traveling with my parents made some of the BEST memories I'll ever have.

Wow,how exciting for your parents,But you might want to reconcider waiting till Christmas to tell them. The longer you wait to get your airline tickets ,the more they will cost.Plus you might not get the flight's you want.Here's a suggestion ,Why don,t you have a Christmas in July party and tell them next month!;p That way you all can start planing your itinerary!!!!

It is a nice thing, but I would not wait until Christmas Eve to inform your parents, that's 6 months away. Your parents will have a lot of planning to do during now and Christmas. Some items: get or update their passports; arrange air which has to be in their name and match exactly to their passports; join the roll call and arrange tours; arrange for travel insurance, reschedule Drs. appointments, and probably more. Even though you booked the cruise and are paying for it don't forget that everything for them on the ship and regarding the air travel will be in their names. The earlier you start the better it is for you and them.

Although they are waiting to reveal until Christmas, the cruise isn't until April 25, so lots of time for the details. EM

How great you are doing this for your parents!

If you book EZ Air for you and your parents now, payment will not be due until you make final payment on the cruise, up until which time you can cancel without penalty. Don't forget to get travel insurance now so it covers any preexisting conditions.

Love that! My DH and I also did this for my parents 70th birthdays (a week apart). We gave them all kinds of weird gifts before they opened the "Cruise Trip". We even had a cake decorated like a ship. We bought a suitcase and luggage tags, it was super fun! I am sure your parents will love it! Don't worry if they have other plans, they will change them for sure! The Sapphire is one our favorite ships. Enjoy! & Good luck keeping that secret. :)

Thanks, all. I've already booked the airfare, too, so no worries about waiting until Christmas for the big reveal. And I'm the travel planner in my family, so they'll depend on me to arrange all the fun stuff. Other than getting passports, which they'll have plenty of time do to before the ship leaves April 25, there's very little they'll have to do other than pack a bag and show up!

And I'll definitely write a detailed trip report. I think my report from my 12-day British Isles Cruise on Caribbean Princess a few years ago is still going strong on these boards. :-)

What a lovely gift. My mom turns 70 this year, and I'm just taking her to New Orleans for the weekend (that's what she asked for, and I did buy her an Alaskan cruise for her retirement 10 years ago and took her on a Disney Cruise 6 months ago, so she can't complain ;) ) It will be hard to keep the surprise until Christmas, so good luck!

Guest arowe6

You win the award for "best child." Seriously, this is so sweet.

Enjoy the cruise with your family,

Andrew :)

What a wonderful gift for your parents. I can easily see why you're so very excited with all the planning and surprising them. You must be a close family. Enjoy it all from the planning to the cruising.

I can relate a bit. I just put a deposit on a 2019 cruise for my DH and me. It's part wedding anniversary; part predicted retirement and part birthday all rolled into one. I plan on surprising him this next Christmas . . . but he will have a year + until he gets to enjoy it.

Thanks for all the nice responses. I love hearing how others have surprised loved ones!

If anyone has any suggestions on how to creatively "reveal" the trip, I'd love your suggestions. Years and years ago, I bought them Citrus Bowl tickets for Christmas, so I wrapped up a bowl with oranges, lemons, etc. in it. Lame, I know! Hopefully, I can be a little more creative this time.

Having gifted cruises over the years, including our parents, might I suggest the clear luggage tags (assuming they have luggage at this point, otherwise start with 4 wheel lightweight luggage), maybe a book such as Rick Steve's European Cruise Ports, and if you have any "extra" Princess logo merchandise, such as baseball caps, or a handbag, or even T-shirts, those as well. Finally, a print out of the itinerary. When we took a few of "the kids" with us, we all had matching shirts to wear for the embarkation photo, the nicely said Titanic Swim Team 1912. I might suggest something a little more current along the lines ok Keep Calm and Take a Cruise. Enjoy.

Thanks for all the nice responses. I love hearing how others have surprised loved ones!

If anyone has any suggestions on how to creatively "reveal" the trip, I'd love your suggestions. Years and years ago, I bought them Citrus Bowl tickets for Christmas, so I wrapped up a bowl with oranges, lemons, etc. in it. Lame, I know! Hopefully, I can be a little more creative this time.

The suggestion I have is to find a few little things representing a cruise. I have a little ship, a small life preserver and I have seen small passport items in stores that sell hobby things (Michaels for one). You will do fine.

We surprised my brother in law and his wife several years ago when they went to Alaska for their 40th Ann. We booked the cruise shortly after they did. We booked in January the cruise was September. I talk to my SIL every day, so for those 9 months I kept the secret. We drove them to the airport and they said that they wished we were going!! What surprise when they came off the train (they did the land tour first) and saw us sitting waiting for them. They said that was the best gift and surprise ever!!

I'm going to print this and have it anonymously sent to my kids. I won't be 70 for two years, gives me plenty of time to drop hints! I hope you and your family have a great cruise!

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

What a lovely thing to do.

DH (Chief02) gave me a small box at Christmas in 2012. Inside of it was a Christmas ornament of a cruise ship. We hang it on the tree to this day.

Even though we have had many cruises together (and I was the chief planner for those), he surprised me with a "Your Cancer Bout is Over" cruise. I was so thrilled. I totally did not expect it.

That is a wonderful gift and I'm sure your parents will appreciate such a lovely gesture and your enthusiasm to make them happy.

Have an absolutely wonderful time.

It will be a sweet surprise. I surprised my son with a British Isles cruise as a college graduation celebration last month. It was a great trip. Enjoy the planning process and the trip.