Hurricane Cindy coming towards Houston/Galveston area this weekend

http://abc13.com/weather/carnival-changes-itinerary-due-to-tropical-storm-cindy/2122624/

Hurricane Cindy might hit the Texas coast. I am sure RCCL will contact their customers. Carnival has changed.

It is a tropical storm and not expected to become a hurricane.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.shtml?cone#contents

http://abc13.com/weather/carnival-changes-itinerary-due-to-tropical-storm-cindy/2122624/

Hurricane Cindy might hit the Texas coast. I am sure RCCL will contact their customers. Carnival has changed.

Given its current strength and predicted track, this tropical storm shouldn't be much of an problem outside of some heavy rains and possible flash flooding.

Given its current strength and predicted track, this tropical storm shouldn't be much of an problem outside of some heavy rains and possible flash flooding.

Until the winds reach 74 mph, it is not a hurricane. I know 73 can wreck havoc too.

Tropical Storms can still cause LOTS of damage.

Not a fun thing to experience. :(

Not usually. UNLESS it's a super slow churner that dumps tons of rain and won't leave. A typical TS of the weaker variety isn't more than a blip.

"Hurricane Cindy" as noted by the OP isn't a thing and this TS Cindy doesn't appear to be much of anything to worry about.

this TS Cindy doesn't appear to be much of anything to worry about.

Unless you're flying into it. A friend just got a text from Delta that they are waiving change fees for her flight into NOLA tomorrow AM. So they obviously think the rain/thunderstorms may affect flights.

Ok. I stand corrected. Tropical Storm. I know when I was on the FOS, our whole itinerary was changed because of a Tropical Storm. We were to go east and it was changed to west. Royal Caribbean did an awesome job of taking care of the situation. The news is saying that Bolivar Peninsula is going to ride the storm out, so we will see what happens.

Nothing like spending thousands of dollars on a vacation and have to go through flash flooding to get to the port. Sounds like a great way to start.

Are any of you that are commenting from East Texas and understand what Galveston/Houston has been through with TS and Hurricanes? Just wondering?

Nothing like spending thousands of dollars on a vacation and have to go through flash flooding to get to the port. Sounds like a great way to start.

Are any of you that are commenting from East Texas and understand what Galveston/Houston has been through with TS and Hurricanes? Just wondering?

Born & raised in Houston. TS' can be dangerous w/ tornadoes & floods. But as of now, Cindy is not carrying the winds to create a bad coastal 'surge' which brings typical major flooding. What this TS does have is rain. If it slows down and/or stalls along the coastline, flooding will get bad as the low coastal grounds always will. But unless things change, the projected path as of right now has landfall on the east side of Galveston on Thurs early AM. This is a very good sign for Galveston which is where the OP was concerned. East Texas will get hit w/ rain, no doubt about it. Also, it should be pointed out that by Sat & Sun when the incoming & outgoing of cruisers hit Galveston, Cindy will be long gone & in Ark or further north.

And I stand corrected (although, I did say "UNLESS it's a super slow churner that dumps tons of rain and won't leave" as a caveat) because they are saying that TS Cindy is supposed to slow down and dump 12-18" of rain on Louisiana.

The storm itself isn't a big deal. The slow movement and massive dump of rain is.

For those flying into Houston this weekend for your cruise on Sunday, I think you'll be in good shape. For those driving into Houston, you'll most likely hit rain. And especially if you're traveling from the north or east. So leave earlier if possible and take your time. If you're not familiar w/ flash floods...be careful... and remember this if you hit any high waters...

TURN AROUND, DON'T DROWN. Stalling your car in high water that is rising can have your car float off in seconds. It happens just about every year in Houston.

Houston is projected to get 2-3" of rain. That is much less than the amounts received during the Tax Day flood last year. Since the rain is supposed to hit Wednesday night into Thursday morning, there is a high probability that most of this area will be clear come Sunday morning when ships are expected to return to Galveston.

And I stand corrected (although, I did say "UNLESS it's a super slow churner that dumps tons of rain and won't leave" as a caveat) because they are saying that TS Cindy is supposed to slow down and dump 12-18" of rain on Louisiana.

The storm itself isn't a big deal. The slow movement and massive dump of rain is.

Where are you hearing 12-18" of rain in Louisiana? Latest things I have seen on the Weather channel do not project any place getting that much rain. In fact New Orleans is projected to get 2-3" while Alabama appears to be in for the worst getting 5-7".

Where are you hearing 12-18" of rain in Louisiana? Latest things I have seen on the Weather channel do not project any place getting that much rain. In fact New Orleans is projected to get 2-3" while Alabama appears to be in for the worst getting 5-7".

That was on the TV.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/21/us/tropical-storm-cindy/index.html This says up to 12"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2017/06/21/tropical-storm-cindy-2017-gulf-coast-weather/103061146/ Likewise 6-12"

Here is the most recent prediction from the National Hurricane Center. Heaviest rain between Pensacola and New Orleans. Galveston and Houston look to get off with relatively little.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/203851.shtml?rainqpf#contents

Born & raised in Houston. TS' can be dangerous w/ tornadoes & floods. But as of now, Cindy is not carrying the winds to create a bad coastal 'surge' which brings typical major flooding. What this TS does have is rain. If it slows down and/or stalls along the coastline, flooding will get bad as the low coastal grounds always will. But unless things change, the projected path as of right now has landfall on the east side of Galveston on Thurs early AM. This is a very good sign for Galveston which is where the OP was concerned. East Texas will get hit w/ rain, no doubt about it. Also, it should be pointed out that by Sat & Sun when the incoming & outgoing of cruisers hit Galveston, Cindy will be long gone & in Ark or further north.

Good to know. Thanks for the specifics. We are watching close from San Antonio. I am not on a cruise, and grateful I don't have to deal with driving into Houston in any bad weather-EVER!!!

For those flying into Houston this weekend for your cruise on Sunday, I think you'll be in good shape. For those driving into Houston, you'll most likely hit rain. And especially if you're traveling from the north or east. So leave earlier if possible and take your time. If you're not familiar w/ flash floods...be careful... and remember this if you hit any high waters...

TURN AROUND, DON'T DROWN. Stalling your car in high water that is rising can have your car float off in seconds. It happens just about every year in Houston.

This is TRUTH. I would watch the weather very closely and also the traffic in Houston can be a nightmare in great conditions. Take care and caution and take your time.