RitzCarlton plans to go small and go to smaller ports - the new anti-cruise ship

OlsSalt

Trending in the cruise world:

Many of the aspects we may soon be missing as HAL ships get bigger and ports get overwhelmed with multiple mega-ships, Ritz Carlton decided to go in the opposite direction and introduce their anti-cruise ship cruise ship. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-22/ritz-carlton-yacht-collection-is-building-the-anti-cruise-ship

Fantasy only, who knows what this will cost, but fun to dream about since it re-invents what made cruising so special years ago: a nimble small ship, direct port access, and a flexible enrichment itinerary.

The article is interesting if only for its insights into the cruise passenger market. Long live the small HAL ships - we knew why we loved you. No wonder HAL wants to hang on to their Prinsendam passenger base by keeping their small ship in the inventory.

The addition of multiple day port stops is very appealing and I think well-received when HAL ships already do this in various locations. We have had them in Stockholm, Istanbul, St Petersburg, Mumbai, Yangon, Callao, Beijing and upcoming Rotterdam.

Interesting. The ship rendering reminds me of one of the Ponant ships.

I don't care about 'ultra-luxury' cruising, and I've already got all of the other components with Voyages to Antiquity: ~300 passengers, excellent enrichment, and visits to smaller ports (for example, the ship stops at Delos, not just in Mykonos, or at Lindos, instead of the larger port at Rhodes -- plus places such as Ithaca, Monemvasia, or in previous (less conflict-filled) years, Latakia and Tartus (Syria), Beirut, and Antakya. :D

All those people with the multi-million MR and SPG accounts will have a way to blow those points. And, maybe a chance for employees to task force on there - 3 months onboard sounds like a way to spend the off-season working. It would be like those contracts now offered on other ships, just shorter time. Those at winter resorts could be onboard staff during the down-time at their hotels, those at summer resorts could be onboard staff during the down-time at their hotels, and then "permanent" staff to round out the year. I'd see hotel employees climbing over each other to get one of those slots!!!

Interesting. The ship rendering reminds me of one of the Ponant ships.

I don't care about 'ultra-luxury' cruising, and I've already got all of the other components with Voyages to Antiquity: ~300 passengers, excellent enrichment, and visits to smaller ports (for example, the ship stops at Delos, not just in Mykonos, or at Lindos, instead of the larger port at Rhodes -- plus places such as Ithaca, Monemvasia, or in previous (less conflict-filled) years, Latakia and Tartus (Syria), Beirut, and Antakya. :D

Exactly, many of these benefits can come without the luxury and preterition - just smaller, more nimble ships. That are also cost-efficient. (Why you love VTA, and why I was such a fan of VOD)

Trending in the cruise world:

Many of the aspects we may soon be missing as HAL ships get bigger and ports get overwhelmed with multiple mega-ships, Ritz Carlton decided to go in the opposite direction and introduce their anti-cruise ship cruise ship. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-22/ritz-carlton-yacht-collection-is-building-the-anti-cruise-ship

Fantasy only, who knows what this will cost, but fun to dream about since it re-invents what made cruising so special years ago: a nimble small ship, direct port access, and a flexible enrichment itinerary.

The article is interesting if only for its insights into the cruise passenger market. Long live the small HAL ships - we knew why we loved you. No wonder HAL wants to hang on to their Prinsendam passenger base by keeping their small ship in the inventory.

Hal had the small to midsize market and is giving it away, with building the half empty moguls..thks Carnival..

Hal had the small to midsize market and is giving it away, with building the half empty moguls..thks Carnival..

Well perfect, then it seems like this is right up your alley. Then you can return to a more positive person and have a cruise line to rave about, instead of one to endlessly rant about.

Please do drop by though once you've cruised on them and let us know how it went :rolleyes:

Well perfect, then it seems like this is right up your alley. Then you can return to a more positive person and have a cruise line to rave about, instead of one to endlessly rant about.

Please do drop by though once you've cruised on them and let us know how it went :rolleyes:

Whoa...... :( and Wow.,

MANY of us are sad to see THE "S:" class SHIPS l.EAVE HAL. My late DH and I sailed each in their Inaugaral season and loved those ships. Great memories. i hope HAL does not come to regret parting with them.

Edited by sail7seas

Hopefully the Nieuw Statendam will be delayed by 6 months...

We are also watching (closely) the Ritz Carlton program...and we shall see. But not sure its much different then several other ultra luxury lines such as Seabourn, Silverseas, Sea Dream, Regent, etc. who all have smaller vessels with lots of high quality amenities. As to HAL, although we still like an book the line...we do not consider HAL to be more then a mass market cruise line...with some great itineraries.

Hank

This has been in the works for years. We have a good friend who works for Ritz Carlton and they were initially recruiting staff several years ago. They eventually postponed the decision to start because of the recession. It should be very nice. Ritz Carlton does not do things half way.

What was particularly interesting was their admission that out of 7 billion plus people on this planet, .... they only need to find 12,000 a year to make this work for them. That certainly puts things into perspective, doesn't it.

However to me, it does seem more like yachting than cruising. I like getting lost in the anonymity of the relative "crowds" on HAL size ships, rather than the potentially more intimacy this size ship would offer. Though that was one of their driving criteria - create a privacy experience onboard, as well as a group experience if that is what people also want.

An interesting concept to contemplate, but what does Marriott International know about operating cruise ships? Running the hotel side of the plan, yes, surely they would be able to do that successfully, I expect. But, the marine aspects of the operation? I am skeptical.

Marriott currently operates in all segments except for cruise ship which I do not believe will be a problem for them to hire senior leaders from other cruise lines to fill the void. Disney did the same with higher price points for the 1st and 2nd in a stateroom.

What was particularly interesting was their admission that out of 7 billion plus people on this planet, .... they only need to find 12,000 a year to make this work for them. That certainly puts things into perspective, doesn't it.

However to me, it does seem more like yachting than cruising. I like getting lost in the anonymity of the relative "crowds" on HAL size ships, rather than the potentially more intimacy this size ship would offer. Though that was one of their driving criteria - create a privacy experience onboard, as well as a group experience if that is what people also want.

Whereas we were diehard HAL S and R class ship cruisers and thought the Oosterdam and the Vista class were way too big for us. Our favorite remaining HAL ships are the Maasdam and Volendam and would love to try the Prinsendam if we could find the right cruise but for the time being we've gravitated to Silversea and 300 and 600 passenger ships. Love the smaller ships and the intimacy environment.