Eden

Drobot234

Anthem was launched with Dynamic Dining in 4 restaurants without an MDR. I still think this was a very good concept. However the traditional cruise loyalists hated any type of change and literally complained so much that the 4 restaurants are now called the MDR and treated as such. I'm sure Celebrity has paid attention to its sister company. But I applaud the attempts on the new ships to bring new life and changes into traditional cruising. Those passengers who don't like the changes should just book another more traditional ship on any number of cruise lines out there.

It seems that Edge will be anything but Traditional ;)

We liked dynamic dining on Anthem, but we booked early and made reservations for each night at the time we wanted on-line. The problem is when people book and the time they want to dine is already occupied. There were many, many complaints that the only times people could book on-line pre-cruise were 5:30 pm or 9:00 pm. Once they got on board they would try and change the reservation or just show up and try to be seated, creating lines and wait times. That's one of the reasons it didn't work.

Anthem was launched with Dynamic Dining in 4 restaurants without an MDR. I still think this was a very good concept. However the traditional cruise loyalists hated any type of change and literally complained so much that the 4 restaurants are now called the MDR and treated as such. I'm sure Celebrity has paid attention to its sister company. But I applaud the attempts on the new ships to bring new life and changes into traditional cruising. Those passengers who don't like the changes should just book another more traditional ship on any number of cruise lines out there.

That certainly makes sense...but not for those of us who have spent $$$$ getting to the perks of Elite Plus.

As a professional marketer I know that the number one rule of marketing is sell to your current customers first. Spend 80% of your marketing and sales $$$ attracting them to purchase from you again and again. Then you spend 20% attracting new customers. I like new stuff as much as the next guy but when I see a space on a ship as art with four or five people walking around it and just know that it is either going to be an upcharge, a "members only" space or packed with hundreds of people, I am a bit more realistic.

Jim

But when it was launched with Dynamic Dining, was there a traditional Main and Late seating? Because I was offered Late or Select and told Main was sold out. It seems like if there is not some kind of MDR there would be no reason to have Main and Late as options.

But when it was launched with Dynamic Dining, was there a traditional Main and Late seating?

Yes, that was the time when traditional was re-introduced (along with rotation through the 4 venues a la Disney) to go along with DD.

No where has it even been suggested that snakes (or any other non-service animals) will be on board. No where is it being even suggested that the entertainment will be hedonistic. The suggestion is that the space will be "eden" like, which is a perfect idyllic natural environment. Further, since the suite options are all suited to accommodate families traveling with adults, I doubt there will be hedonistic performers roaming about at all hours. On the other hand, I would never describe cirque de soleil as hedonistic, maybe incomprehensible t some people. However, I do think the whole snake and apple campaign is too esoteric and ill conceived.

Check out post 120 on this reveal thread..and follow the link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2515404&page=6

and just because they have produced a certain show for a certain audience doesn't mean they can't and won't tone it down for the ship. it seems people are jumping to a lot of conclusions with absolutely little to no info. the snake was an intro that played off the eden theme, what else would you use with that name, the snake and apple are obvious. as someone else pointed out this ship will still have families onboard, and they even show children in the space, i doubt they will go too far. but, for pete's sake let's get more info before ripping it to shreds.

I followed the link to your post 120 and read your comment "I wonder if the freaks who do like it would be a regular base of cruisers...."

I find your calling others "freaks" because they like the concept extremely offensive; Probably as offensive as you found the video.

And yes I will continue to be a frequent X cruiser and I am a woman & didn't find the video demeaning.

We're not too old to try something new, so we're in. However, what I enjoy on a cruise ship is to relax beside the pool under some shade, sip a frosty drink, read my book & people-watch, and feel the lovely breezes. I think Eden might not become my favorite hang-out, and the pool seems to be short on shade and seats. However, having said that, I'm often pleasantly surprised. We're ready to try this lovely ship.

I might have missed something in the new video about Eden, but are they planning on handing out LSD to all passengers prior to entering this magical land for an even fuller effect?

So far I'm picturing an attempt at Spectacular Spectacular from Moulin Rouge with traveling sitar players, double-jointed snake wranglers and a phalanx of writhing dancers serving me some kind of bubbling green beverage made from the roots of a rare exotic herb found only in the heart of the Amazon.

A big part of me believes the entire staff of Celebrity must have shared a bag of 'shrooms one night and had a contest to come up with the most out-there idea they could. After the original idea of having the entire ship filled with water and passengers floating from bar to bar on inflatable lily pads was rejected, this was next.

That said, I really don't believe this concept will ever end up looking anything like these pictures. People want to go on a cruise to relax (don't they?) not to immerse themselves into one of Frank Zappa's nightmares. When the folks reject this homage to absurdity, they'll turn it into another piano bar.

In the meantime, I will stick with the ships that reflect the Celebrity I love. All the while hoping that they don't 'Edge' the other ships the same way they 'Solsticized' the fleet before.

Geez, just writing this is giving me the munchies ...

No where has it even been suggested that snakes (or any other non-service animals) will be on board. No where is it being even suggested that the entertainment will be hedonistic. The suggestion is that the space will be "eden" like, which is a perfect idyllic natural environment. Further, since the suite options are all suited to accommodate families traveling with adults, I doubt there will be hedonistic performers roaming about at all hours. On the other hand, I would never describe cirque de soleil as hedonistic, maybe incomprehensible t some people. However, I do think the whole snake and apple campaign is too esoteric and ill conceived.

When Cirque was on Celeb ships they had a shop selling massage oils, feather ticklers etc..,to entice the senses...it closed very quickly.

Eden is marked on the revised deck plans as chillful, playful sinful...maybe they mean sinful like good chocolate cake!

From first part of the June newsletter (posted on another thread)

That certainly makes sense...but not for those of us who have spent $$$$ getting to the perks of Elite Plus.

As a professional marketer I know that the number one rule of marketing is sell to your current customers first. Spend 80% of your marketing and sales $$$ attracting them to purchase from you again and again. Then you spend 20% attracting new customers. I like new stuff as much as the next guy but when I see a space on a ship as art with four or five people walking around it and just know that it is either going to be an upcharge, a "members only" space or packed with hundreds of people, I am a bit more realistic.

Jim

I'm a little confused. If the space is for specialties with an upcharge, that is no good. If the space is for specific groups (elite, zenith, suites etc), that's no good unless you are part of said group. Or if it is available to everyone, it's no good because it will be too crowded. What scenario would make you happy?

Companies generally produce to the specs their client's want. There is ZERO reason to think there will be any snakes, wild animals, or scantly clad hoochie koochie performers.

On the other hand, if you find cirque de soliel to be unacceptable, then you have a bit of a puritan nature and will likely find unacceptable things no matter where you go.

I might have missed something in the new video about Eden, but are they planning on handing out LSD to all passengers prior to entering this magical land for an even fuller effect?

So far I'm picturing an attempt at Spectacular Spectacular from Moulin Rouge with traveling sitar players, double-jointed snake wranglers and a phalanx of writhing dancers serving me some kind of bubbling green beverage made from the roots of a rare exotic herb found only in the heart of the Amazon.

A big part of me believes the entire staff of Celebrity must have shared a bag of 'shrooms one night and had a contest to come up with the most out-there idea they could. After the original idea of having the entire ship filled with water and passengers floating from bar to bar on inflatable lily pads was rejected, this was next.

That said, I really don't believe this concept will ever end up looking anything like these pictures. People want to go on a cruise to relax (don't they?) not to immerse themselves into one of Frank Zappa's nightmares. When the folks reject this homage to absurdity, they'll turn it into another piano bar.

In the meantime, I will stick with the ships that reflect the Celebrity I love. All the while hoping that they don't 'Edge' the other ships the same way they 'Solsticized' the fleet before.

Geez, just writing this is giving me the munchies ...

Please don't take this personally, but I'm genuinely curious what pictures of Eden you have been looking at to arrive at the conclusion that it looks like a psychedelic nightmare. All concept art I have seen shows a large lounge, tastefully decorated in brown and green earth tones with wood and marble accents, green living plants and trees, subdued carpet and ceiling designs based on basic geometric patterns. Honestly it all seems quite beautiful and modern to me. If it reminds me of anything, it's of many of the exceptionally luxurious hotels I have visited when traveling in Asia.

What I suspect is that most of the negative reactions are coming from people who are under the impression that the Eden experience will center around constant avant-garde burlesque shows. I'm quite sure that will not be the case.

Celebrity may have played up that aspect in the presentation, possibly because having live eye-catching entertainment at the reveal event was an easy way to get people's attention - much easier than showing static images and mock-up videos. But if you look at the descriptions and graphic art on the website, my impression is that any live entertainment will be a small part of the Eden experience and not what the whole concept of the room is based on.

And if the live entertainment is not well received by the guests, doesn't work as well as envisioned or - and my money's on this reason - turns out to be too expensive in the long run, they can, and will, cut that after a few months.

We'll still be left with a large, beautiful (in my eyes) multi-functional lounge area with amazing sea views. I, for one, am very much looking forward to experiencing Eden!

cruiserke;53418822']Please don't take this personally' date=' but I'm genuinely curious what pictures of Eden you have been looking at to arrive at the conclusion that it looks like a psychedelic nightmare. All concept art I have seen shows a large lounge, tastefully decorated in brown and green earth tones with wood and marble accents, green living plants and trees, subdued carpet and ceiling designs based on basic geometric patterns. Honestly it all seems quite beautiful and modern to me. If it reminds me of anything, it's of many of the exceptionally luxurious hotels I have visited when traveling in Asia.

What I suspect is that most of the negative reactions are coming from people who are under the impression that the Eden experience will center around constant avant-garde burlesque shows. I'm quite sure that will not be the case.

Celebrity may have played up that aspect in the presentation, possibly because having live eye-catching entertainment at the reveal event was an easy way to get people's attention - much easier than showing static images and mock-up videos. But if you look at the descriptions and graphic art on the website, my impression is that any live entertainment will be a small part of the Eden experience and not what the whole concept of the room is based on.

And if the live entertainment is not well received by the guests, doesn't work as well as envisioned or - and my money's on this reason - turns out to be too expensive in the long run, they can, and will, cut that after a few months.

We'll still be left with a large, beautiful (in my eyes) multi-functional lounge area with amazing sea views. I, for one, am very much looking forward to experiencing Eden![/quote']

Couldn't agree more. The space and volume are stunning.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Companies generally produce to the specs their client's want. There is ZERO reason to think there will be any snakes, wild animals, or scantly clad hoochie koochie performers.

On the other hand, if you find cirque de soliel to be unacceptable, then you have a bit of a puritan nature and will likely find unacceptable things no matter where you go.

Not a Puritan...loved the cirque acrobats and shows, on ships and other venues, but we were subjected to a few awful skits not related to the acrobats on one of our cruises.. In one, the actors jumped into people's laps, took their handbags.,made litttle sense..not funny.

The other one was a famous routine I'm told ..he roughs her up he pulls her hair, she leaves, they make up...Not my cup of tea,.it was sexist not sexy.

The store on board was wierd...sex toys lite! Did not last long....and as we all know X did not renew with Cirque and staged their own cirque type shows...all excellent!

I agree the big come on for Eden will be tempered by the real world but how disappointing that this was the way they chose to introduce it....and they may well have some late night hoochie koochie for those who want it...sex sells!

I followed the link to your post 120 and read your comment "I wonder if the freaks who do like it would be a regular base of cruisers...."

I find your calling others "freaks" because they like the concept extremely offensive; Probably as offensive as you found the video.

And yes I will continue to be a frequent X cruiser and I am a woman & didn't find the video demeaning.

Amen!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums