Is Galveston cold early January? (Liberty of the Seas with kids)

Our family loves the Freedom class and Voyager class RCI ships, and we are looking at the Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston leaving Dec 31st this year from Galveston.

The only thing that has me nervous is the potentially cold weather. For those of you that have cruised out of Galveston in early January, what was the weather like?

We cruise to escape the cold north, and do like to use the pool deck a lot.

1) What's weather like in port at Galveston

2) How long does it take once cruising to get to the upper 70 to 80 degree weather?

Thanks!

Dan

It can be if you consider the 40s to 50s cold. It's more windy and blustery so you'll need more like windbreakers than real winter coats etc.

But as you move south, you'll find tropical temps almost as warm as they are now. Cozumel can get rainy/cloudy in January but it's never ruined our days there. We have a January cruise coming up on Vision. I will wear jeans and Tshirt to board along with a windbreaker if it's really cold. Transferring to shorts as we go down.

Liberty doesn't have any covered or enclosed pools but you should be ok to swim if you lay out a little and get yourself warm. The water can be a little chilly when you enter.

Texas weather is famously hard to predict. It could be in the 60s or the 20s. However, as Becci said, you will sail out of it within a day. Possibly your first day could be cold and your last day. It's impossible to know more than that. If you don't want to roll the dice, I would look at a Florida cruise. Whatever you decide, have a great time.

It could be 80 or it could be 20.

The other issue is fog. If the cruise gets back the day before you need to be back at school and there are flights involved, I would definitely think twice. For sure get insurance.

We sailed once out of Galveston and, when we arrived in Houston, it was 85 degrees. By the next morning, it was a high of about 55. There was some weird cold front that extended all the way down through Mexico...so it was cold until we got down to Jamaica. Anything can happen...

Winters down here vary widely, even from day to day as has been said. From the Dec-February time frame I have battled both frozen pipes and sunburn, sometimes in the same week... Checking the forecast as your cruise approaches should give you a better idea of what to expect. First and last days are the unknowns, but once you get a day out its usually at least acceptable sundeck weather.

Have you checked out Freedom out of Ft. Lauderdale? Much better chance of warm weather from start to finish, no fog issues and much easier to get from airport to port if flying.

Thanks. Yeah, I looked at the Freedom, but it's one less day and the kids have already been to one of the ports (Grand Cayman). With the Liberty, they have not been to any of the ports and there is one additional day.

Dan

We sailed in January several years ago and fog created a nightmare. Ship was stuck out till at least 11am. Couldn't get on till 4-5p. Got a $15 pp credit for missing lunch on the ship. But standing in line for 5 hrs was the killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We live in the Houston area. We have sailed every January out of Galveston or Houston since 2000. We have boarded ships in shorts and we have boarded ships in ski jackets, gloves and hats. It is actually better when it is cold and windy because the fog is around when it is unseasonably warm.

Most 7 day cruises have 2 days at sea upfront. The first day is nearly always too cold and windy to use the pools and sit on the deck. The second day is usually warm enough, unless the front gets ahead of the ship. We have had some beautiful beach days in January in Cozumel. But we have also had some days when it was only 55 degrees and the wind was whipping and the waves were crashing over the pier. We tend to take the cruises that go to Belize and Roatan in January to get as far south as possible.

We have had several cruises impacted by fog in January. Some on the front end, and some delayed getting back to port after the cruise and on one cruise we had delays on both ends. Just be prepared to be flexible if you can't board because the ship is late docking, and be prepared to foot the bill upfont for the expense of making changes to your return flights. Fly Southwest into Hobby if at all possible since you won't incur a change fee, just any difference in the fare. Take out travel insurance from a 3rd party that also covers the flights. You will be glad you did if you end up needing a hotel for an extra night and have high change fees.

Edited by DebJ14

... Most 7 day cruises have 2 days at sea upfront. The first day is nearly always too cold and windy to use the pools and sit on the deck. The second day is usually warm enough, ...

This has been our experience on the 3 cruises we've take out of Galveston in January.

A 5pm flight out of Houston on disembarkation day should be safe right? Has anyone heard of fog keeping the ship out past noon?

Coming from Michigan that time of year, anything above about 45 degrees is spring jacket weather. However, I'm not sure I like the idea of embarking in cold"ish" weather on a Caribbean cruise.:confused:

FYI, the itinerary for the cruise has the two seas days at the end:

• Sea day
  • Cozumel
  • Roatan
  • Costa Maya
  • Sea Day
  • Sea Day

Dan

A 5pm flight out of Houston on disembarkation day should be safe right? Has anyone heard of fog keeping the ship out past noon? ...

I've heard of ships being delayed entry to Galveson for 24 hours. However, I think a 5pm flight will be sufficient for most fog delays.