Flip Flops on casual nights

mommag3boys

I know Carnivals site says no flip flops in the main dining rooms but is it enforced? I swear years ago on a cruise you could wear flip flops.

My main concern is Hubby. I'd he wears pants he has dress shoes but if he's wearing shorts he generally just goes with flip flops. Is he going to need to keep it to pants or what?

I wear the Reef type sandals or boat shoes and shorts every night except cruise elegant since the shorts policy was put in place. Have never had a problem in almost 200 nights at sea. For Cruise Elegant nights toss in a pair of khakis and boat shoes or casual leather shoes. I've not carried a tie, jacket or dress slacks in over five years. Khakis and a Tommy Bahama style shirt for those one or two nights.

I know Carnivals site says no flip flops in the main dining rooms but is it enforced? I swear years ago on a cruise you could wear flip flops.

My main concern is Hubby. I'd he wears pants he has dress shoes but if he's wearing shorts he generally just goes with flip flops. Is he going to need to keep it to pants or what?

My wife wears flip flops into the MDR every cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I live in San Diego where folks are very casual about dress.

It is hard for me to picture a guy coming into a nice restaurant barefoot except for beach shoes(flip flops) unless you are right at a beach.

No one will stop you in the MDR(I don't think) but nicer sandals or sneakers and socks make more sense to me.

In the end it is your vacation so anything goes!:confused:

I have Nike sandals I wear to dinner every night and never had an issue. They're not the cheap dollar store thong flip flops but rather regular sandals.

nike-comfort-slide-2-mens

Sorry just my opinion but I find those for any dining room not appropiate. For me they look like shoes one wears in a locker room as shower shoes and with sweatpants.

From the Carnival website:

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts

Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops

Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire."

As you can see they are specifically prohibited. You can chose to follow the rules or ignore them like many because it's their vacation and for whatever reason doesn't suit them to comply.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're guilty. I bring 3 pairs of flips on a cruise; a beach pair, a daily pair and dressy leather ones for dinner. Add in a pair of Adidas Boost running shoes for the gym and I'm set. My wife also brings 3 sets of flips. A dressy wedge style, daily wearing pair and a beach pair that are well worn.

Maybe it's a California thing, but we wear shoes in the winter and flips as soon as it's warm and dry outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They are not saying to NOT wear open toed shoes, just not foam shower type flip flops; those can be slippery around the ship. Sandals, for men or women, are fine. Many sandals are referred to as "flip flops", but Carnivals definition just means dollar store shower and pool type flip flops.

They are not saying to NOT wear open toed shoes, just not foam shower type flip flops; those can be slippery around the ship. Sandals, for men or women, are fine. Many sandals are referred to as "flip flops", but Carnivals definition just means dollar store shower and pool type flip flops.

I think it is very telling that such a simple question leads to so many points of view. To me there are two problems with the dress code: 1. It is vague and people keep reinterpreting it, and 2. They don't enforce it. I wish they would rewrite it to what works for them as a business, and then enforce it at 100%.

Our first cruise, on elegant night I had to wear a tux, but those days are unfortunately gone and not likely to come back. I also think with the advent of Specialty Fee restaurants, the Main Dining Room is no longer Fine Dining and the dress code should probably reflect that change in status.

We go to a lot of land resort as well, and at Hyatt for instance here are the normal dress codes.

Dress Code

Lunch: Dry Casual

Dinner: Smart Casual - Dress shorts, dress sandals or close-toed shoes are required for men. No sleeveless shirts are permitted for men. Women require dress sandals.

Dress Code

Resort Formal: Long pants, close-toed dress shoes and collared shirt (polo style or dress shirt) are required for men; casual chic for women.

Dress Code

Dry Casual

Every outlet at the resort fits into one of those categories. Occasionally there will be a full Formal restaurant that requires a Jacket. Of course at true fine dining restaurants, they will still loan you a jacket if that is all you are missing. FYI, at this resort if showed up at a Resort Formal restaurant in a nice pair of pressed jeans, you would get in.

I'm not looking at people's feet in the MDR, so it doesn't bother me. The only thing that would annoy me a bit would be the popping sound flip flops make as you walk. As far as the argument against flip flops because they're not safe due to slick decks, I don't really agree with that because there are so many other perfectly acceptable styles of shoes that don't have tread and would be just as slick. Especially many women's shoes.

When I was a kid in the 70's, flip flops were called "Zorries". I think the "thong" reference today is hilarious!
Never heard of zorries, but a lot of these terms are regional. "Thong" was big in the late 70's & 80's around here. But as time went by, thong went to the wayside as footwear and the younger generation now only knows it as a style of underwear.