Dress codes

:):)Hi guys. Doubt if this is right place but not tech savvy.

I am going on my first cruise ever.Royal Caribbean in Sept Brilliance of the seas. My question is how does dress code really work? My husband reserves suits and ties for weddings and funerals (not holidays of any kind). As we have booked speciality dining for 6 of 12 nights I am hoping a smart pair of trousers and an open neck shirt will suffice for formal nights. No jacket!! Definitely no tuxedo. (y)Doesn't do dress shoes either!! More loafers!

Any insight would be much appreciated.

How does the dress code work? It doesn't. We saw one guy wearing denim shorts on formal night.

I've never heard of nor seen anyone be turned away at the MDR for any dress suggestions non-compliance. It isn't a dress code anymore. They are only suggestions.

Also, speciality restaurants march to their own drum and have their own dress code regardless of what the rest of the ship is doing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

:):)Hi guys. Doubt if this is right place but not tech savvy.

I am going on my first cruise ever.Royal Caribbean in Sept Brilliance of the seas. My question is how does dress code really work? My husband reserves suits and ties for weddings and funerals (not holidays of any kind). As we have booked speciality dining for 6 of 12 nights I am hoping a smart pair of trousers and an open neck shirt will suffice for formal nights. No jacket!! Definitely no tuxedo. (y)Doesn't do dress shoes either!! More loafers!

Any insight would be much appreciated.

As others have said, he'll be fine as long as you're comfortable seeing some others in suits/tuxes (and others dressed just like him or even more casual).

I'm like him, I own ONE suit (classic black) that is reserved for weddings, funerals, and previously formal nights on cruises. I wore it last month on Oasis and that will be the last time. I don't mind putting it on for pictures and dinner but having to bring it on board is a pain in the butt. I take the jacket off as soon as I sit down anyway so I figured going forward, might as well just wear a nice pair of pants and a button down shirt.

Is this an European Cruise? If so, most cruises outside of the Caribbean, have better dressed people. Not having a jacket would mean you might be in the extreme minority. However, if you are doing specialty restaurants on formal night, they are still smart casual for those nights, it would be a good choice.

On the Jewel in April, friend we met wasnt allowed in the MDR on formal night without pants - they didnt specify the type of pants,but a no-go in shorts. Our drunken attempt to purchase him pants (any pants) on the way back to the ship in Barbados should have been on video...

We were on Brilliance Nov 2016. We opted for specialty restaurant on formal night but the people we were cruising with ate in MDR. The guys wore jeans and polos with no issues. We did see a lot of people really dressed up tho.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When anyone wants to pay for my cruise they can tell me what to ware to dinner at any given time. My wife and I will dress for formal night but all the other days its dress shorts.

Sounds a reasonable compromise.

We no longer take formal clother on cruises. Black slacks and multiple nice shirts/tops work fine. DH does like a jacket as some areas of ship are to cold for him. The more we cruise the less we pack and we drive to ports. Comfort comes first.

Agree but it's a suggestion not a code and rarely enforced.

True it should be left to the discretion of individuals.

If there was only 1 formal night on a 7 night cruise instead of 2 i don't think any reasonable person could complain about dressing up for 1 night.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

We go to the specialty restaurants on formal night. My husband wears slacks and a button down shirt. I wear a sundress or leggings and tunic. We don't want to bring all the extra items required for just a few hours on the formal nights. My husband's dress shoes alone take up a lot of space in the suitcase. We have done formal night several times so we have a lot of pictures already.

...If there was only 1 formal night on a 7 night cruise instead of 2 i don't think any reasonable person could complain about dressing up for 1 night.

Disagree. IMO those that are opposed to the formal dress suggestion for the MDR in the evening aren't complaining about the number of evenings. The complaint is about packing (possibly paying for another piece of luggage when flying) an outfit they either don't care to wear at all or only a couple of times during their cruise for a couple of hours. In this case less wouldn't change a thing. I guess my wife and I are in the minority. If we were the only two in the MDR that followed the suggested dress, who cares. For us it's not about others. Again only my opinion.

Disagree. IMO those that are opposed to the formal dress suggestion for the MDR in the evening aren't complaining about the number of evenings. The complaint is about packing (possibly paying for another piece of luggage when flying) an outfit they either don't care to wear at all or only a couple of times during their cruise for a couple of hours. In this case less wouldn't change a thing. I guess my wife and I are in the minority. If we were the only two in the MDR that followed the suggested dress, who cares. For us it's not about others. Again only my opinion.

My wife wears a different cocktail dress every night and i dress smart every night too so i agree with you.

My point was the dress code favours them 5 out of 7 nights and they still complain so i thought 1 night of compliance shouldn't be an issue but maybe not.