Asking steward for a foot stool in a veranda balcony cabin

Lorey2007

Not sure about carbill, but I'd be OK with that. I't not like I'm demanding the steward go and steal one off some suite balcony. If they had an extra one around why not have it on my balcony? :D

The last new car I bought was from a dealer that advertised 'no hassle pricing' . The price on the window was the price for all customers. If some people want to pay that price that is their right. I didn't pay that price. I asked for a discount. I wasn't entitled to a discount but I asked for one anyways. The poor low level salesperson had to ask his manager but in the end I paid several thousand dollars less than others paid. :D

And when I asked Mrs. Dawg to marry me, I knew I wasn't entitled to her, heck I wasn't in her league by any stretch of the imagination. To paraphrase that old boxing saying I was punching way above my weight class! ;) I asked, I got, I won! :D

Just lovely that you equate acquiring your wife to buying a car.

On a cruise, it is very clear what you are getting in terms of furniture with your chosen cabin. It is disgraceful that your sense of entitlement gives you the impression that you are somehow privileged and should get "more" for free and just because you asked. And the fact you ask and then place your room steward in the awkward position of saying "no" or coerces him into giving in to your request to the detriment of others, whom haven't the same amount of pure gall to request something they are not entitled to, is shameful at the very least. You should be ashamed. And no amount of smilies makes it acceptable.

Lorey, I have been on the Equinox twice and it has been my experience a friendly steward will find you most anything you want. one of my favorite ships

Asking for something that is generally paid for, for free, is know as being a "freeloader" and not in a good way.

It wasn't so long ago that hotel rooms and ship cabins had shared toilets down the hall. Ensuite facilities were only provided to those booking the most expensive rooms and cabins. Fast forward to the present, no one in the Western world would even consider building a new hotel or cruise ship with shared toilets. This change came about because customers started asking for it. Management listened and decided they would be at a competitive disadvantage if they did not offer ensuite facilities for all grades of accommodations.

In USA hotels, ironing boards and coffee makers are standard amenities because business travelers asked for them. We business travelers do not have time to send our laundry out for pressing because we are only staying one night. We have to look good for that 8:00 a.m. client meeting. Hotels that do not provide ironing boards find themselves losing the business traveler. We don't have to book a higher grade room to get an ironing board.

It is my understanding that cruise ships home-ported out of the UK (P&O?) have hot water kettles in the cabins because customers asked for them: example post. UK cruisers ask, and receive, kettles in their rooms. They don't have to book a higher grade room to get a kettle. USA customers do not get this because they do not ask.

The management of hotels and cruise ships did not start providing ensuite facilities, ironing boards, and kettles, to all guests, out of a sense of generosity. They did it because enough customers asked for the amenity. If enough customers ask for foot stools on their balcony, it will become a standard amenity for all grades of cabin.

On my next cruise, I have an oversize balcony. I will be asking for footstools. (And bringing my own beach balls as a backup plan.) I will add that request to my comment card, and to to the email survey after the cruise. That's the only way management knows we want them to add this as a standard amenity.

I completely disagree with the view that it is somehow wrong to ask for a footstool (or any other amenity). Cruise management rightly asks for customer input. I will honor their request and provide my input.

I am in the customer service end of a completely different industry. I always want to know what my customers want. My competitive advantage is providing better customer service than the other companies. If my customers are dissatisfied with any aspect of my product and service, I want to know about it. If my customers have any input on how I can improve my products, I want to know about it.

Edited by Mercruiser

Asking for something that is generally paid for, for free, is know as being a "freeloader" and not in a good way.

Utter nonsense. Simply taking something that is generally paid for is clearly wrong, but asking (not demanding) is perfectly acceptable. On many flights I've been upgraded simply asking if it might be possible. I smile when they say they can accommodate me and I smile equally if they say sorry, they can't help me out on this flight.

Lots of both lack of common sense and false equivalency spouted here.

First off, to try to accommodate your undeserved request, where do you propose they get the aforementioned footstool? This is before you even consider the additional requests for stools since other pax have seen the poor steward accommodating you. There are only 2 choices: From a cabin that deserves one or in what minor amount of stock they may be carrying to replace those in cabins that deserve one. So, if a footstool breaks in a cabin that has one as standard equipment, and all the spares are being used by the "polite sequesters" (who didn't pay for them in their fare) what is the cabin with the broken footstool to do? Just buck it up while you rest your tired toes?

And to equate this situation with negotiating for a car, you are light years away. Your better deal (if you really got one--I spent too many years running dealerships to believe "thousands of dollars more than others") did not detract one iota from the other purchasers. False equivalence at its finest!

Thanks sorry I started this[emoji53]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

I'm sure you had no idea footstools were reserved for special classes. You don't know what you don't know, but instead of simply telling you, some have to shame you for it. Not sure why.

I learned after my cruise that if you want a martini to take to the theater they made them in different glasses. I had no idea and we took martini glasses to the theatre. I guess that was awful as well. Now we know.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

False equivalency motors on.

And no one accused anyone of being a jerk. Read. Just that it was unfair to staff if you didn't deserve it. Not really a very deep concept.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Sorry, called a freeloader not a jerk. My bad.

I doubt the OP was trying to get something they don't "deserve". I thought this board was for getting information. I guess that's only if it is accompanied by a scolding.

Not everyone is a cruise expert with elite status and know all the ins and outs. It's sad that new cruisers should be made to feel bad for asking a question.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You obviously missed the point. He's talking about asking and gave examples. Rule #1 of any business negotiation course ......ask. The worst that will happen is you will get a "no". He gave two examples of asking with no indication that he equated one with the other.

Reading comprehension 101.

Is asking for a discount when others are paying full price, freeloading, Such as asking for a discount at a speciality restaurant?

I think I'll smile and nicely ask for a Butler. I don't need a Butler but I really really like having a Butler. There must be some extras going un-used, or just snitch one from a cabin that is supposed to have one. :o

I think I'll smile and nicely ask for a Butler. I don't need a Butler but I really really like having a Butler. There must be some extras going un-used, or just snitch one from a cabin that is supposed to have one. :o

:D Like!

You obviously missed the point. He's talking about asking and gave examples. Rule #1 of any business negotiation course ......ask. The worst that will happen is you will get a "no". He gave two examples of asking with no indication that he equated one with the other.

Reading comprehension 101.

Thanks,

Your response was waaay more diplimatic than mine.

I probably should ask for forgiveness but asking seems to be frowned upon around here.;)

Last summer, I was on a business trip and stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Downtown Philadelphia for five nights. I booked my room at the cheapest rate, using my AAA membership. My room did not have a microwave. I had some excellent left-over food from the Reading Terminal Market that I wanted to re-heat. I called the front desk and asked if they could bring a microwave oven to my room. Here are the responses they did NOT provide:

• You will have to upgrade to a deluxe room if you want a microwave
  • You are a freeloader
  • You are not entitled to a microwave
  • You should not have asked us for a microwave. We are offended.
  • You should bring your own microwave.
  • You expect us to steal the microwave from someone who paid for a suite, and give it to you, an undeserving freeloader?

Fortunately, the Courtyard Marriott is run by hospitality industry professionals. Their response, "We can bring you a microwave. We charge a $15 delivery fee. It's good for your whole stay." The hotel was happy. They got a $15 rental fee on what looks like a $50 Walmart microwave. After four delivery fees, it's pure profit. The people who delivered the microwave got a good tip. I was happy because I ate really good business dinner leftovers for lunch the rest of the week, and saved a lot of money over buying lunch every day. This is good customer service - creating a win for everybody.

If X tells me a footstool cost an extra $15 dollars, I'd happily pay it. I don't want different cabin. I want a footstool.

P.S. I have one of those huge corner FV balconies booked on Summit. A suite or CC would be a downgrade in my view. I'm not giving up that huge balcony even if I have to MacGyver a footstool myself. I had that balcony on our Panama Canal trip. It was wonderful.

Edited by Mercruiser

Thanks,

Your response was waaay more diplimatic than mine.

I probably should ask for forgiveness but asking seems to be frowned upon around here.;)

No, thank you!

Your response was not undeserved. Sometimes a poster hits below the belt once too many. To paraphrase what some one else once posted, we are all here because we enjoy the cruise experience, want to share info, and share the thrill of anticipating being spoiled on our next cruise.

There are times when a poster takes his/her role here too seriously and fails to see the subtlety of humor in another's reply. Thank goodness they are few and far between.

:D

Celebrity could certainly implement a program for renting individual pieces of Balcony furniture, but I am not convinced think it would be worth the effort. But as you stated some hotels have implemented a policy with microwaves and even mini fridges. Although I believe hotels are a different situation due to various lengths of stays.

Last summer, I was on a business trip and stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Downtown Philadelphia for five nights. I booked my room at the cheapest rate, using my AAA membership. My room did not have a microwave. I had some excellent left-over food from the Reading Terminal Market that I wanted to re-heat. I called the front desk and asked if they could bring a microwave oven to my room. Here are the responses they did NOT provide:

• You are a freeloader
  • You expect us to steal the microwave from someone who paid for a suite, and give it to you, an undeserving freeloader?

Fortunately, the Courtyard Marriott is run by hospitality industry professionals. Their response, "We can bring you a microwave. We charge a $15 delivery fee. It's good for your whole stay." The hotel was happy. They got a $15 rental fee on what looks like a $50 Walmart microwave. After four delivery fees, it's pure profit. The people who delivered the microwave got a good tip. I was happy because I ate really good business dinner leftovers for lunch the rest of the week, and saved a lot of money over buying lunch every day. This is good customer service - creating a win for everybody.

If X tells me a footstool cost an extra $15 dollars, I'd happily pay it. I don't want different cabin. I want a footstool.

P.S. I have one of those huge corner FV balconies booked on Summit. A suite or CC would be a downgrade in my view. I'm not giving up that huge balcony even if I have to MacGyver a footstool myself. I had that balcony on our Panama Canal trip. It was wonderful.

We had footstools on our FV on Connie.

• You are a freeloader

Did you ask your room cleaner about the the microwave or did you go to Reception and ask the front desk, who would know exactly the policy concerning those items not listed with the room you had paid for?

Enjoy the FV, they are fabulous cabins.

Did you ask your room cleaner about the the microwave or did you go to Reception and ask the front desk, who would know exactly the policy concerning those items not listed with the room you had paid for?

Enjoy the FV, they are fabulous cabins.

One of the key aspects of good service is staff empowerment, particularly when it comes to luxury travel. Celebrity claims to offer a luxury product, albeit Modern Luxury. When I last looked Celebrity makes this claim for all their guests not just a select few.

I read a few years ago that every single member of staff that interacts with customers at Ritz Carlton hotels (I think Mandarin Oriental adopts this as well) has authority (not unrestrained and some more than others) to take action to make a guests stay extra special and to take ownership i.e. "I don't know, you'll have to go guest service and ask them yourselves" is not acceptable.

Other posters have claimed that by merely asking one is freeloading. This is not necessarily the case and possibly shows cultural insensitivity and probably an element of hypocrisy. Who seriously hasn't at some point in their life merely asked if they could have something they haven't paid for? Politely asking or inquiring is not demanding. Asking can be just a negotiation - sometimes the answer will be Yes, sometimes No, sometimes maybe (if you pay extra).

Someone suggested that benefits are clearly defined and everyone knows what they do and do not get. I guess that person is ignoring the 1001 threads on CC about cuts to this that and the other

I think this is an ethical question and it's not fair to the persons who have paid the full price for a conciërge class cabin. Please also book conciërge class and don't bring your steward into an awkward position with his job.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Forums