Royal testing to bring back same drink package for all

For this pilot program to end up going into effect fleet wide, the people on the test sailings have to prove that it's boosting revenue for the cruise line by participating and buying the packages. If people don't buy the packages, they'll give up the idea and go back to the way it has been.

And for those who are complaining that they have to buy a non drinking spouse a package....WHY???? Wouldn't it now be cheaper to buy your drinks individually? Technically you should now be saving money right? Instead of paying $800 for 2 drink packages, you can pay out of pocket for your $400 or $500 or even $700 worth of individual drinks and it's still cheaper than buying 2 packages. WHY WOULD YOU BUY 2 if it's no longer cost effective??? I don't get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For this pilot program to end up going into effect fleet wide, the people on the test sailings have to prove that it's boosting revenue for the cruise line by participating and buying the packages. If people don't buy the packages, they'll give up the idea and go back to the way it has been.

I agree but it won't be quite that simple. I'm sure they'll also evaluate individual drink sale revenues as part of the analysis.

Assuming of course that it is actually a test:p

And for those who are complaining that they have to buy a non drinking spouse a package....WHY???? Wouldn't it now be cheaper to buy your drinks individually? Technically you should now be saving money right? Instead of paying $800 for 2 drink packages, you can pay out of pocket for your $400 or $500 or even $700 worth of individual drinks and it's still cheaper than buying 2 packages. WHY WOULD YOU BUY 2 if it's no longer cost effective??? I don't get it.

Right, but I think it's less "we have to buy 2" and more "I can't buy just 1." If one currently gets, say, $600 value from a $400 package, theyll now have to spend $600 since they can't buy a single package.

Edited by Cauzneffct

What if one of the adults is pregnant? Does RCCL still make them buy the booze package?

I wonder the same thing about a person who is not allowed to drink (at doctor's order) due to medical conditions-- like my husband. His doctor would provide documentation that he is under strict orders not to drink alcohol.

It's all about value to us. Usually in the NYC market Royal is usually more expensive than NCL even including the gratuity on the "free" drink package. We just booked the Anthem to change things up and I bought the drink package. She doesn't drink enough to buy a Royal package.

We will just switch back to NCL since Royal in this market will become much more expensive than NCL having to buy individual drinks with their high drink prices. Our scenario may not match everyone's, but they will certainly lose our business.

While the idea of not requiring everyone in a cabin to purchase the drink package was very well received, the fact is, others abused the system. We never purchase because we never drink enough to justify and especially being able to use the DL (and CL on some ships) means we can't begin to justify purchasing it. Even before we hit D and then D+, we never, ever spent enough to make it worthwhile. I do think there has to be a way around it for those that travel with others who don't drink or can't. Forcing someone who is an alcoholic or has medical reasons to buy a drink package seems very heavy handed and will be successfully fought. When they switched back to the current program it made a lot of people happy, it gave others a way to spend less and sneak. There will always be those that think the idea of rules are just suggestions even though the majority see them as something to be followed because it's the right thing. I don't think this will be well received.

While the idea of not requiring everyone in a cabin to purchase the drink package was very well received, the fact is, others abused the system. We never purchase because we never drink enough to justify and especially being able to use the DL (and CL on some ships) means we can't begin to justify purchasing it. Even before we hit D and then D+, we never, ever spent enough to make it worthwhile. I do think there has to be a way around it for those that travel with others who don't drink or can't. Forcing someone who is an alcoholic or has medical reasons to buy a drink package seems very heavy handed and will be successfully fought. When they switched back to the current program it made a lot of people happy, it gave others a way to spend less and sneak. There will always be those that think the idea of rules are just suggestions even though the majority see them as something to be followed because it's the right thing. I don't think this will be well received.

Royal isn't 'forcing' alcoholics to buy liquor packages, give me a break.....

All you who bashed Banana Nutters when he/she broke this news yesterday owe an apology.

All you who say you'd save money by purchasing drinks individually haven't seen the current prices. On our 4-22-17 Explorer cruise, drinks were $14.

Nothing stopping one person from buying individual drinks. It can't really cost much more unless they plan on pounding down a lot of booze EVERY day. It's not that "terrible".

Actually you can far exceed the per day amount and not pound down drinks all day. My husband starts with fresh juice, several coffees per day, a bottle of water, a few wines and then a few Jacks in the evening. This all comes out to more than the per day total we paid for the drinks package. Since I don't drink, we would now have to pay individually for each item and be paying more, or he not enjoying the same range of drinks and since there is no sense paying for 2 packages. So yes, it does make a difference especially when one is doing long BTBTB cruises like we tend to do.

Please explain what you mean by this.

Before they had the

Premium package

Deluxe package

Beer and wine package

Wine bottle packages

Non alcoholic

And so forth...

When there is more selections, especially at different costs, then people tend to use them. Thus less sharing.

My husband doesn't drink at all and I don't drink enough to justify an alcohol package so it won't make a difference to us ... but I wouldn't be impressed if I did want to buy a alcohol package.

It really sounds like RC is money grabbing. Charging for room service, the corkage fee and now this. I'm not sure they'll be worth sailing with if they keep going.

I wonder the same thing about a person who is not allowed to drink (at doctor's order) due to medical conditions-- like my husband. His doctor would provide documentation that he is under strict orders not to drink alcohol.

There was a response from RCCL on the Facebook page that the second person would be exempt if he/she has a doctor's note.

It's not ruined for our family. While we have occasionally shared a package (deluxe of the non-alcoholic variety - I forget the tier names) with others having a soda package it has never made sense financially even to have a soda package each in terms of cost versus just buying the drinks. Since we're not crack-pot crazy we'll now save money by not ever buying one upgraded package.

This policy is about being able to charge those with an alcohol addiction more. Where a package makes sense for one of two in a cabin it will almost always be true that this remans true when two are bought. Heavy drinkers will grumble but they will pay because that's the nature of their addiction.

RCL has the data to determine whether they will collect more money overall or not. In determining elasticity the argument will be that the alcoholics have no choice but to carry on and those that aren't by-and-large have either the soda-package or nothing.

Wow! That chip on your shoulder must be heavy to carry around. So everyone who buys a drink package is an alcoholic or heavy drinker? I never drink at home. However, on a cruise, I like to have 1 - 2 fruity cocktails by the pool (I often request they put little or no alcohol in it), a glass of wine with dinner and one cocktail in the evening. When I combine that with bottled water, tea, soda and juice, my package pays for itself. I guess I should be attending meetings because I do this once or twice a year.

While it's not a huge deal for me because I can always pay as I go, and often have a cabin to myself, I do believe that the cheaters have ruined this for everyone.

Perhaps an overall plan much like Celebrity is coming. I see 'bundle' test pricing in the near future. The cruise prices will be increased and include multiple perks all bundled together, Alcohol Pkgs, Gratuities, Voom, etc.

Yep, I see this coming too.

It will be great for the people who buy all the extras anyway, but price gouge those who don't. I can see myself moving over to NCL if this happens, because I am one of those people that likes the a la carte pricing.

Royal doesn't make much money from me since I don't really drink much alcohol, and only drink water (no juice and coffee only occasionally), I'm ok with the cheaper rooms, the free food options, I don't need to use the Internet on the ship and never buy their pictures etc. I use the ship as a way to get from point A to B and I enjoy the entertainment and stuff in between, but am happy with what is included in the initial price.

I am happy that there are so many people who do buy all the extras and who insist on booking Suites, because they are the ones keeping my cruise fare so low. If I have to start paying for a bunch of stuff I don't even want, then the cruise won't be a good deal for me anymore. But royal won't be that sad to lose me either, lol.

A little history lesson is called for here.

When Royal Caribbean first introduced "unlimited alcoholic beverage packages", it was on ships sailing out of Southampton.

RC did NOT require both adults in a cabin to buy the package.

There was ENORMOUS sharing of packages.

That is when Royal Caribbean began requiring that both buy.

After a while, they relaxed that and allowed only one to buy.

Apparently, the cheating continued, so they are again reinstating (testing, my butt) the requirement that both/all adults in a cabin purchase the alcoholic package.

Just catching everyone up.

:)

I am sure there are a large number of cruisers where only one partner drinks. My husband always buys the drinks package, I drink water the majority of the time or maybe a coke or other drink in the D or Concierge lounge in the evening. There is no way I am paying double for his drinks, so we will be giving that a miss.

Yep.

I thought this was still the case.

Will have to wait and see how it all shakes out over the next year I guess:D

As we got ready for our January 2014 cruise they went from "everyone gets the same package" to the lovely system they've had. I'm always astonished that there remain people out there who weren't aware of the change!

My husband wanted to get a bucket of beer to drink on the balcony. (I don't even drink beer). He was only allowed to purchase one beer with the package.

We saw a group of 4 sharing one drink package which meant they purchased one beer at the time and all drank out of it.

A "bucket of beer"

Cannot be purchased with the package. The bucket is a way to pay withOUT a package for several beers at once with a bit of a discount. There's no way to pride it out. How do you get beers at a discount when you've prepaid them?

If you merely SAW people there's no way to know they were sharing. And no one would share like that. They would go from one bar to the other gathering drinks then gathering.

Thanks for posting. Glad to see them bringing this back

So that couples like us have things ruined? How kind of you!

Actually I drink a la carte anyway, but if I wanted to get a package it only works if I can get it alone. Dh doesn't drink. Many reasons. To have to get two packages for one person is onnoxious.

There were a lot fewer of these with everyone buying the drink packages.

What era are you thinking of? To the end of 2013 people had to have the same package, and that's the era of rum runners. After that the posts I saw slowed way down.

So I don't know what you're talking about.

Maybe it's just me, but if this is true, people only brought it upon themselves.

Well I didn't bring it on me. It on you. YOU didn't bring it on you. The jerks who broke the rules brought it on those who did follow the rules.

No one is forcing you to buy anything. If you don't drink enough, don't buy it. My wife doesn't get the full $$ cost out of her package but we buy it anyway as it offers a value in other areas.

What other areas does a drinks package offer a value if she doesn't drink???

It doesn't affect you because you and your BF both drink. It DOES affect many other couples where only one of them drink. THAT'S why we care. We are being forced to pay twice as much because some people abuse the system.

Exactly.

It is now a STICKY on the top of this forum and has been confirmed to CC by a RCL rep

Ugh.

No one is forced to buy the package. It's simple math. If buying 2 packages doesn't make sense, go alacarte. If you want to pay in advance instead of having an onboard bill, buy yourself some gift certificates in advance for onboard credit.

The math will now be different than it was before. That's the issue.

The people grumbling are the lighter drinkers. The "heavy drinkers" are already getting their money's worth.

Exactly.

If I go on a cruise with my heavy drinking friend, she doesn't care about this. But I do because I'm a lighter drinker and the drinks package likely wouldn't make sense for me unless I'm committed to being tipsy and hungover the entire cruise).

The math is now different. Unlikely people will just blindly buy two, but the math doesn't work as nicely as it might have.

All you who bashed Banana Nutters when he/she broke this news yesterday owe an apology.

No one bashed the OP.

They righteously asked for sources. Period. That's not a crazy thing to ask for. I've been here ages, and although I might not be adored I'm not a liar, but if I had posted that info with no sources given I would expect to be questioned. It's how things work.

Well this really screws ME. I'm sailing (maybe NOT) Harmony on 10/14 with 2 friends, 1 does not drink alcohol at all. I can't ask her to buy a package that costs hundreds so I can have it. Conversely, I don't drink soda at all. Will this apply to soda packages as well? I'm not spending $70 on something I won't use.

2 of us were going to buy the inclusive package. Now we can't. Royal screwed themselves out of nearly a thousand dollars.

I was on Anthem in March. The per drink prices on Royal are high. Very high. I didn't have a package for that cruise and was not pleased with how much that bar tab ran me. I really wanted to buy the package. I also drink mostly bottled water. It would've been so worth it for me. Ugh. How fun is it to go on a cruise counting pennies and not getting what you want? It's NOT.

Here's another question. We had some sort of promo where 2 of the 3 of us were getting free soda packages. How does THAT work now if we all have to have the same package? Are they giving us the 3rd soda package for free?

Huuuuge damper on my excitement for my upcoming Harmony cruise. At this point only 1 of the 3 of us has booked air. Heck, I'd come out waaaaaay to the good ditching the cruise & paying her for her airfare. Seriously considering this option.

Back before they loosened the policy and everyone had to have the same package wasn't there a way people circumvented by waiting to buy the package onboard? Am I remembering that wrong?

Edited by sweetpee_1993

Well this really screws ME. I'm sailing (maybe NOT) Harmony on 10/14 with 2 friends, 1 does not drink alcohol at all. I can't ask her to buy a package that costs hundreds so I can have it. Conversely, I don't drink soda at all. Will this apply to soda packages as well? I'm not spending $70 on something I won't use.

2 of us were going to buy the inclusive package. Now we can't. Royal screwed themselves out of nearly a thousand dollars.

I was on Anthem in March. The per drink prices on Royal are high. Very high. I didn't have a package for that cruise and was not pleased with how much that bar tab ran me. I really wanted to buy the package. I also drink mostly bottled water. It would've been so worth it for me. Ugh. How fun is it to go on a cruise counting pennies and not getting what you want? It's NOT.

Here's another question. We had some sort of promo where 2 of the 3 of us were getting free soda packages. How does THAT work now if we all have to have the same package? Are they giving us the 3rd soda package for free?

Huuuuge damper on my excitement for my upcoming Harmony cruise. At this point only 1 of the 3 of us has booked air. Heck, I'd come out waaaaaay to the good ditching the cruise & paying her for her airfare. Seriously considering this option.

Back before they loosened the policy and everyone had to have the same package wasn't there a way people circumvented by waiting to buy the package onboard? Am I remembering that wrong?

It is for the alcohol package only. Not soda.

At $12 for a glass of wine and $10 for a cocktail you don't need to be a hardened drinker for the package to save you money. I am annoyed more because it affects existing bookings if the rules are to be changed then it should be for new bookings only.vThese are the things that influence your choice when you are choosing your cruise. I don't like a company assuming I am dishonest and sharing a package. I have already purchased a refreshment package I will stick to that. It will probably do me good !

On Anthem in March it was $12-$15 a cocktail. Plus tip.