Royal testing to bring back same drink package for all

Oh great. When this rolls out fleet wide, that's gonna make things interesting for people like me who have a current booking with the second person in the cabin being "Mr John Smith". Had to put a second name in the booking, don't know if I'm going to end up having a cabin buddy or not, and will sail solo if that's the case.

So now I'm gonna have to fork out for John Smith in advance to pre-purchase the package as well. I'll literally be paying double for my drinks and will have to try and get the money refunded when he is a no-show.

It's not ruined for our family. While we have occasionally shared a package (deluxe of the non-alcoholic variety - I forget the tier names) with others having a soda package it has never made sense financially even to have a soda package each in terms of cost versus just buying the drinks. Since we're not crack-pot crazy we'll now save money by not ever buying one upgraded package.

This policy is about being able to charge those with an alcohol addiction more. Where a package makes sense for one of two in a cabin it will almost always be true that this remans true when two are bought. Heavy drinkers will grumble but they will pay because that's the nature of their addiction.

RCL has the data to determine whether they will collect more money overall or not. In determining elasticity the argument will be that the alcoholics have no choice but to carry on and those that aren't by-and-large have either the soda-package or nothing.

I am pretty sure that RCI has no package that covers either crack or pot. Those still have to come aboard in cans with false bottoms.

All you who bashed Banana Nutters when he/she broke this news yesterday owe an apology.

All you who say you'd save money by purchasing drinks individually haven't seen the current prices. On our 4-22-17 Explorer cruise, drinks were $14.

On Anthem in March it was $12-$15 a cocktail. Plus tip.

While there are drinks that are in the $12-14 range, basic drinks are not. A gin and tonic, including tip, is around $9 as were Johnny Walker and Bailey's. Bud/Bud Light are around $8.55 including tip.

Royal isn't 'forcing' alcoholics to buy liquor packages, give me a break.....

You really did miss the point didn't you? How exactly will the make exceptions if one person can or does drink and the other doesn't? It was just a statement about the requirement. Doesn't impact us at all, but I am thinking of others.

I don't know if I buy the explanation that this change all has to do with cheaters any more than the continual increase in the charge for Johnny Rocket's has to do with crowding. RCI is just trying to figure out what method is going to produce the most increase to their bottom line... period. RCI wants to turn one package sale per cabin into two sales. There have been several posts with very legitimate reasons why what would have been one package sale will now result in zero package sales for the cabin. Whether the first or second scenario prevails will determine whether or not the new "test" stays or fades away.

With packages, even if someone "gets their money's worth" RCI makes a bundle in profit considering what they pay whole sale for the product. RCI has a guaranteed amount of money coming in with a package sale. Without a package it is up in the air how much revenue will flow in from any particular sailing. Two packages per cabin provides a nice guaranteed revenue stream,

Edited by Ocean Boy

There was a response from RCCL on the Facebook page that the second person would be exempt if he/she has a doctor's note.

Seriously? There are doctors that will write whatever you want them to. If someone is really intent on getting around this, it won't be a problem. Not to mention, how does RCI know if a note really comes from a doctor? I'm sure there are plenty of people who ignore rules who would have no issue with faking a doctor's note. Also, what about people who choose not to drink? A legitimate doctor would not write a note for that. That answer from RCI doesn't make sense.

Well this really screws ME. I'm sailing (maybe NOT) Harmony on 10/14 with 2 friends, 1 does not drink alcohol at all. I can't ask her to buy a package that costs hundreds so I can have it. Conversely, I don't drink soda at all. Will this apply to soda packages as well? I'm not spending $70 on something I won't use.

2 of us were going to buy the inclusive package. Now we can't. Royal screwed themselves out of nearly a thousand dollars.

I was on Anthem in March. The per drink prices on Royal are high. Very high. I didn't have a package for that cruise and was not pleased with how much that bar tab ran me. I really wanted to buy the package. I also drink mostly bottled water. It would've been so worth it for me. Ugh. How fun is it to go on a cruise counting pennies and not getting what you want? It's NOT.

Here's another question. We had some sort of promo where 2 of the 3 of us were getting free soda packages. How does THAT work now if we all have to have the same package? Are they giving us the 3rd soda package for free?

Huuuuge damper on my excitement for my upcoming Harmony cruise. At this point only 1 of the 3 of us has booked air. Heck, I'd come out waaaaaay to the good ditching the cruise & paying her for her airfare. Seriously considering this option.

Back before they loosened the policy and everyone had to have the same package wasn't there a way people circumvented by waiting to buy the package onboard? Am I remembering that wrong?

There are many ships in and around Fort Lauderdale sailing on the same weekend. Check prices on those ships before you cancel the whole trip.

The "test" is only on Harmony......

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

All you who bashed Banana Nutters when he/she broke this news yesterday owe an apology.

All you who say you'd save money by purchasing drinks individually haven't seen the current prices. On our 4-22-17 Explorer cruise, drinks were $14.

I'm sorry. Anonymous sources often come up proving to be false.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You really did miss the point didn't you? How exactly will the make exceptions if one person can or does drink and the other doesn't? It was just a statement about the requirement. Doesn't impact us at all, but I am thinking of others.

You are the one missing some points, making a ridiculous statement that an alcoholic would be "forced" to buy a drink package.

You are the one missing some points, making a ridiculous statement that an alcoholic would be "forced" to buy a drink package.

Poor wording is all that was, geez. Do you enjoy being perfect?

I'm sorry. Anonymous sources often come up proving to be false.

Really? I can't recall any.

As distinct from those "I heard from... that they will be doing " which is a different thing again. This looked kosher.

A little history lesson is called for here.

When Royal Caribbean first introduced "unlimited alcoholic beverage packages", it was on ships sailing out of Southampton.

RC did NOT require both adults in a cabin to buy the package.

There was ENORMOUS sharing of packages.

That is when Royal Caribbean began requiring that both buy.

After a while, they relaxed that and allowed only one to buy.

Apparently, the cheating continued, so they are again reinstating (testing, my butt) the requirement that both/all adults in a cabin purchase the alcoholic package.

Just catching everyone up.

:)

I'm not saying this is incorrect, but it isn't all correct.

We were on the Mariner in March 2013 out of Galveston. If one had a Alcohol Beverage Pkg in a cabin, all over age 21 (in the same cabin) was required to purchase it. We were on the Navigator in 2014 out of Galveston & on this cruise the requirement was NOT in play. It hasn't been since.

I don't believe their excuse that sharing is why they are re-instating this rule. They dropped the rule originally to increase sells of the packages. They then raise the price of individual drink prices to push more people into packages. They even have promos, sales etc of packages and they hawk the packages like crazy the first 48 hours of every cruise. This is no test or experiment. RCL clearly knows the numbers already as they have had this in place before. Something else is up. I think it's bundle pricing similar to Celebrity.

Really? I can't recall any.

As distinct from those "I heard from... that they will be doing " which is a different thing again. This looked kosher.

So getting bashed for saying sorry?

"From an official source " makes it kosher?

It seems it turned out to be true. How many times have we had official sources (unknown) and not be true.

I've only read page 1 so far but let me chime in then get caught up. We just sailed Harmony May 13 and LOVED! We are Diamond members and Heather pretty much drinks iced tea all day but wine before during and after dinner. As diamond we get 6 drinks put on our sea pass card each day. Me, yes, I get the drink pkg worth. Lol We just purchased 1 package. But here's where I see the Harmony issue. It's a smart ship! You get a sea pass card and a rubber watch looking wristband that acts as a sea pass card. It has no names on. So technically she could "accidentally" wear my wristband and show it to bartenders and get drinks. I could have my sea pass card with my name on. With the new smart ships coming out I'm sure this is their experiment.

What other areas does a drinks package offer a value if she doesn't drink???

She does drink. But not an awfully lot. But she does take advantage of the ENTIRE offering of the package. She enjoys fresh squeezed OJ each morning. A couple of special coffees each morning as well. She takes advantage of the bottled water and maybe 2 or 3 drinks per day. My point is, that she gets close to fulfilling the price of the Deluxe package on a daily basis but probably doesn't every day. Another 'value' that is difficult to place a price on but does offer a value is that she doesn't worry about anything when it comes to drinking anything. Price/Cost doesn't concern her while she is on vacation. Which is wonderful. We both like this about the Deluxe Package.

I've only read page 1 so far but let me chime in then get caught up. We just sailed Harmony May 13 and LOVED! We are Diamond members and Heather pretty much drinks iced tea all day but wine before during and after dinner. As diamond we get 6 drinks put on our sea pass card each day. Me, yes, I get the drink pkg worth. Lol We just purchased 1 package. But here's where I see the Harmony issue. It's a smart ship! You get a sea pass card and a rubber watch looking wristband that acts as a sea pass card. It has no names on. So technically she could "accidentally" wear my wristband and show it to bartenders and get drinks. I could have my sea pass card with my name on. With the new smart ships coming out I'm sure this is their experiment.

When the Wow band is scanned, the information for the passenger associated with the Wow band also comes up. You aren't fooling anyone.

Seriously? There are doctors that will write whatever you want them to. If someone is really intent on getting around this, it won't be a problem. Not to mention, how does RCI know if a note really comes from a doctor? I'm sure there are plenty of people who ignore rules who would have no issue with faking a doctor's note. Also, what about people who choose not to drink? A legitimate doctor would not write a note for that. That answer from RCI doesn't make sense.

Yes it does make sense! My husband is under strict orders from his doctors not to drink because of medication he must take. In addition to a letter from his doctor, we could provide the lists of medications that require that those taking them not drink alcohol.

This is a terrible rule to implement after a booking has been paid in full. Example - the 9/30 sailing final payment (penalty period) was this past Sunday. 23 friends are discussing arrangements, shows etc. and haven't completed the cruise personalizer - to include the purchasing of spa/alcohol packages, etc. In one cabin, the wife doesn't drink - noting that this family has 3 cabins (two with children) and could have put themselves separately with a child in order to allow the husband to buy his own drink package and not force the wife into buying one. You think now they will change names on the cabins in order to allow the husband to buy a package? Should have been notified in advance and/or implemented before final payment date. Have another wife just recently had gastric surgery - she won't need an alcohol package, and now the husband will need to buy two packages or not buy it at all. This family also had 2 cabins and could have arranged names differently so they could have been accommodated.

It's a mess. The bean counters don't cruise and have zero understanding of complications caused by their decisions. It's Ll about the bottom line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk