Wearing dress shorts in MDR on Adventure of the Seas

On another "appropriate dress" thread, someone posted Royal's guidelines from their packing guide:

Onboard attire...

When you're onboard, the right look will vary by venue. But here are a few types of suggested attire you'll see, grouped by item.

Casual: You're on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.

Smart Casual: Think of this as a step up from your typical dinner wear. Dress to impress with collared shirts, dresses, skirts and blouses, or pantsuits. Jackets, sports coats and blazers are snazzy and welcomed.

Formal: Make it a night out in your best black-tie look – suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns.

Please note that bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and tank tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining venues for dinner.

What drives your obsession with Women's vs. Men's attire on cruise ships? Seems really odd to me..:confused::rolleyes:

Pointing out that the rules will only be applied to men and not to women. Have seen it for years. Not an obsession, an observation.

Pointing out that the rules will only be applied to men and not to women. Have seen it for years. Not an obsession, an observation.

An obsession... especially when you continue to bring it up time after time. We got it the first time, thank you! ;)

Hell, I don't care if people want to come naked even if 99% of naked people look much better clothed :p

Recently (last month) on Celebrity Equinox we saw a couple of men barefoot, swim trunks, no shirt in the Buffet line. Not only is there a prominent sign about no bathing suits and shirts/shoes must be worn, but these 2 men should have definitely been clothed... lots of clothes. Ick. I guess the staff doesn't want complaints lodged.

Yay, you finally got it! :D Maybe now that will be the end your incessant posts about it!;);p

Why does Royal apply policies in discriminatory and sexist manners?

When I get a credible answer to that I'll be satisfied. Do you have one or do you just like lobbing half-hearted grenades? You might need a Krooz soon.

Why does Royal apply policies in discriminatory and sexist manners?

When I get a credible answer to that I'll be satisfied.

So much for thinking that your personal obsession was ending soon. :rolleyes::(

You might need a Krooz soon.

Hey, thanks for reminding me. We in fact have one coming up in about three weeks!:D

:D

Thanks for sharing, but hope you don't puke on your keyboard!;):o

Thank you! And back at you. Ha Ha! ;):o

Hope you enjoy your next cruise. And, if God wills, may He grant you continued good health to live and not die before your cruise. :)

What exactly is wrong with an outfit like this on casual night?And why is it acceptable for women?

5c7f1c41dd10e991478a6173f2ad49a9--navy-shorts-casual-shorts.jpg

I see nothing wrong here. Guy looks cleaned up, shorts and shirt are straight a tidy. Belt and matching watch band look nice. Boat shoes with laces looks casual but say "hey, it's a cruise!". I see nothing wrong here for a standard MDR look on a non-formal night . If it looks good hanging at the country club, it's going to be fine for a darn cruise.

edit: also along withdress comes behavior. This guy looks confident and easy going. This doesn't look like the kind of guy who's going to raise hell in the MDR and attract attention. If he was getting loud and causing trouble I might say "well there ya go, he's wearing shorts, that's the problem". Actually I probably wouldn't.

So why, you ask does nobody bat an eye if women dress in skirts (or like this-i guess) ? I don't know. slowly movin social norms I guess. Like i mentioned, I think behavior is a good 50% of your look, really says more about you than what you're wearing-to an extent.

My boyfriend just asked if he can wear shorts to dinner on our upcoming cruise on Adventure - I immediately thought of this. Said I know where you can read a couple hundred people's opinions on the subject...

If he likes to "follow the rules" tell him he needs to wear long pants at dinner. If he prefers to be a "rule breaker" then tell him shorts will be fine. It doesn't matter what the "opinion" is of anyone here as far as what is/is not, should /should not be acceptable.....it is if he prefers to follow or break the rules.

You stole my thunder. :(

I am more upset by the poor spelling, punctuation and grammar on this website than about shorts in the dining room.

I'm with you guys! What is with all the apostrophes? Was there a sale on them? LOL:D