2nd visit to Rome, what do we do in 1 day

huntwc

we will be in Rome for a day, we've seen the Vatican, Colesseum, Trevi, Pantheon, Spanish steps. Any suggestions as to what we need to see next?

Also, best way to get from Civi to Rome and back to port? TIA

we will be in Rome for a day, we've seen the Vatican, Colesseum, Trevi, Pantheon, Spanish steps. Any suggestions as to what we need to see next?

Also, best way to get from Civi to Rome and back to port? TIA

I would go to any of these a second time. Not mentioned the Roman Forum, Circus Maximus, Piazza Navona

Where to start..... :confused: I've tried to group things together to help in planning.

In vicinity of the Colosseum:

Roman forum / Palatine Hill

Capitoline museum (a favorite of mine)

San Clemente basilica (three levels of history in one church)

Baths of Caracalla -- best preserved imperial baths I've seen

Domus Romane at Palazzo Valentini -- reconstruction of a Roman domus (not my cup of tea but many enjoy it)

Museum of the Imperial Forums -- good explanations of how the later forums in Rome were laid out plus the chance to actually walk in Trajan's forum and markets

Forum Boarium (Nearer the Tiber on the far end of the Circus Maximus) -- two well preserved Roman temples + the ever popular Bocca della Verita ("mouth of truth").

Appian Way:

Ancient Roman road and funerary monuments

Catacombs (there are 3 sets, the opening days and hours vary)

Tomb of Cecilia Metella (ancient Roman tomb you can visit inside -- not much there but interesting nonetheless)

Villa Quintili (remains of a Roman villa, best for hard care Roman history buffs)

Near Pantheon/Center:

Piazza Navona

Campo dei Fiori

Jewish Ghetto

Largo Argentina (ruins of 4 Roman temples; where Caesar was assassinated)

Palazzo Altemps -- a museum of mainly Roman sculpture housed in a beautiful palazzo

Santa Maria sopra Minerva -- beautiful gothic church with a MIchelangelo sculpture

Ara Pacis Museum (north of Piazza Navona, along Tiber) -- beautifully sculpted altar to peace from the time of Augustus

Near Vatican:

Castel Sant' Angelo -- former tomb of emperor Hadrian, later a Papal possession and hidey-hole, features prominently in Angels and Demons

Not near anything else:

Borghese Gallery (reserve in advance)

You said you have "seen" some of those places, but have you "been" to them? Were any of them piquing your interest to explore more in-depth than just a quick visit? Think about that, too. But, cruisemom's recommendations are excellent starts for you do more.

The Basilica Santa Maria Sopra Minerve - my favorite church! I'm not Catholic, but this church just calls to me. I always spend time there when I'm in Rome.

Oh, Largo Argentina - besides the ruins, it is home to a cat sanctuary among the ruins. Every time I'm in Rome, I go over there to watch the cats roam around and then I'll go to the office and give a donation to help with the cat maintenance. And, there is a very good artisanal gelateria in the area - Corona...

Just off the Piazza Navona

enhance

Oh my. So much wrong with this photo. the sleeveless sport shirt, the "special price tourist" menu, the manpris (or flood pants, can't decide which they are) worn with black socks, the lowriding gym trunks (or is that a bathing suit)... Gotta love tourists... ;)

Oh my. So much wrong with this photo. the sleeveless sport shirt, the "special price tourist" menu, the manpris (or flood pants, can't decide which they are) worn with black socks, the lowriding gym trunks (or is that a bathing suit)... Gotta love tourists... ;)

This is a side street off the Piazza Navona. Tourists propping up the economy is what I'd expect. I do not remember if we ate in this place or not but we did eat someplace on the street. Food was excellent.

I think if Italy did not have all its tourists the economy would be in a much more dire condition than it is already. As you would know you have to be prepared, in Rome, to see multitudes of tourists from the four corners of the globe, dressed in every way possible. People say, from China, are not going to usually have any Italian but they may have a little English and would appreciate the tourist menus.

Another suggestion for a day in Rome is to go to Tivoli. After about four stays in Rome we have no desire to battle the heat and crowds so we really enjoyed Tivoli for a three night stay before a cruise..

Having been to Rome several times (for a total of 10 days) we decided to visit the Museo Nationale Romano at Palazzo Massimo. It was later in the afternoon when we arrived, but I don't think we encountered more than 20 other tourists. It consists of many of the frescoes, mosaics and statuary recovered from ancient Roman ruins. The highlight is 4 walls of frescos from the summer home of Emperor Augustus wife Livia which depicts an imaginary garden. We were blown away and I can't understand why more people don't visit this museum.

We did an outskirts tour for our second time in Rome hitting many points of interest that aren't in the heart of ancient Rome:

- Ara Pacis

- Coppede area (Via Dora)

- Ponte Milvio, oldest bridge in Rome

- Stadio dei Marmi, all those marble sculptures of athletes

- Janiculum Terrace on Gianicolo, views of Rome from one of the hills

- EUR

- Keyhole at the Order of Malta

None of the above will take very long and they aren't very accessible by public transportation but everything was interesting.

If you want to go further afield:

- Villa Adriana and Villa D'este in Tivoli are both amazing and worth a visit at some point

- Sacro Bosco (Monsters Garden) in Bomarzo was also fantastic especially with a guide that is versed in the history of the garden.

We did both of these places on our third trip to Rome that we just finished.

Having been to Rome several times (for a total of 10 days) we decided to visit the Museo Nationale Romano at Palazzo Massimo. It was later in the afternoon when we arrived, but I don't think we encountered more than 20 other tourists. It consists of many of the frescoes, mosaics and statuary recovered from ancient Roman ruins. The highlight is 4 walls of frescos from the summer home of Emperor Augustus wife Livia which depicts an imaginary garden. We were blown away and I can't understand why more people don't visit this museum.

I totally agree. It kills me how people think the Vatican museum is the only museum worth seeing in Rome. The Palazzo Massimo is wonderful and I also love the frescoes from the triclinium of Livia's villa.....so much so that I recently went to the ACTUAL villa itself (in the suburbs of Rome and quite easy to get to). Had a great day. I had the place to myself with the exception of one Italian family.

If you like the Palazzo Massimo, you'd also love the Capitoline Museum.

Cruisemom, what do you recommend that we see that is near trastevere???

Just on the other side of the Tiber from Trastevere is the Ghetto, and very close by is the Forum Boarium (both mentioned above).

Walking tour of Trastevere (self guided) here: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/rome/walking-tours/walking-tour-4

Information on sites in and around the Forum Boarium (ignore the earlier part of the tour and start with the Arch of Janus): http://www.jeffbondono.com/TouristInRome/TourToTheForumBoariumAndBeyond.html

We did an outskirts tour for our second time in Rome hitting many points of interest that aren't in the heart of ancient Rome:

- Ara Pacis

- Coppede area (Via Dora)

- Ponte Milvio, oldest bridge in Rome

- Stadio dei Marmi, all those marble sculptures of athletes

- Janiculum Terrace on Gianicolo, views of Rome from one of the hills

- EUR

- Keyhole at the Order of Malta

None of the above will take very long and they aren't very accessible by public transportation but everything was interesting.

If you want to go further afield:

- Villa Adriana and Villa D'este in Tivoli are both amazing and worth a visit at some point

- Sacro Bosco (Monsters Garden) in Bomarzo was also fantastic especially with a guide that is versed in the history of the garden.

We did both of these places on our third trip to Rome that we just finished.

The Ara Pacis really is in the heart of Rome, on the Campus Martius beside the Tiber.

The Knights of Malta keyhole and (I believe) Gianicolo hill are also within the traditional "Centro Storico" though on the edges. And quite easy to get to via bus if one wants.

The Centro Storico is the entire area of old Rome that was enclosed by the Aurelian walls.

I didn't realize that you lived in Rome. I thought you just traveled there as a tourist. Sorry my bad

I love how tourists seem to be a bad thing on CC

Yes idiot tourists who don't research and haven't a clue is one thing but honestly if you don't live in Rome but just like to visit it frequently you are still just a tourist no matter how much you know about Rome

The difference is that you know that you don't need guided tours every place you go...you know about the scavi tour...Neros Golden House..and the opera at the baths of caracalla and you know the difference between the Vatican and St. Peter's and know what the EUR is you also know Tiber river cruises are not anything at all like seine river cruises and you know when you are being scammed.

But let's not fool anyone here...no matter how often you visit Rome or how much you know about it and all it's little secrets...you are still a tourist to them and are what keeps their economy going

I love Italy I love Europe and go every chance I get but I also love my cozy suburb here at home that I will always return to

I have no need to pretend to be roman even though I speak the language. The closest I care to looking like a roman is to wear pretty airy linen type tops and great sandals but never ever sneakers to battle the heat but you can bet my across the chest bag is locked and secured. Just like the tourists.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bzzzzzzzzz. Sorry. I have never been there as a tourist. I have traveled to Italy for both business and pleasure. But, thanks for playing... :rolleyes:

I guess I should have put the winky face on there. I always get a kick out of how people dress in a major metropolitan city...

I had to reply to this one. But, this is probably my last post on CC. You may applaud if you choose.

I didn't realize that you lived in Rome. I thought you just traveled there as a tourist. Sorry my bad

I love how tourists seem to be a bad thing on CC

Yes idiot tourists who don't research and haven't a clue is one thing but honestly if you don't live in Rome but just like to visit it frequently you are still just a tourist no matter how much you know about Rome

The difference is that you know that you don't need guided tours every place you go...you know about the scavi tour...Neros Golden House..and the opera at the baths of caracalla and you know the difference between the Vatican and St. Peter's and know what the EUR is you also know Tiber river cruises are not anything at all like seine river cruises and you know when you are being scammed.

But let's not fool anyone here...no matter how often you visit Rome or how much you know about it and all it's little secrets...you are still a tourist to them and are what keeps their economy going

I love Italy I love Europe and go every chance I get but I also love my cozy suburb here at home that I will always return to

I have no need to pretend to be roman even though I speak the language. The closest I care to looking like a roman is to wear pretty airy linen type tops and great sandals but never ever sneakers to battle the heat but you can bet my across the chest bag is locked and secured. Just like the tourists.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums