RCI and the "free" package scams.

Extra Kim

Is it just me that are sick and tired about the fake deals on Royal Caribbean?

They had a 30% off until last June, 1 July they had the same price..

Now they have a "free" drink and WiFi package deal until 6 August, but they have increased their prices with several houndreds of dollars ...

How is it possible that this is even leagal in the U.S? I'm pretty sure that Royal would get a slap if someone would bring this up to the consumer institute here in Sweden.

Edited by Extra Kim

It is a scam if you want the easy way out and fall for the sales pitch. You want a real deal, you have to put in an effort and do your own homework.

It's a scam even if I don't fall for it..

It's a scam even if I don't fall for it..

If you want to bring attention to the deceptive practices, try their FB page, and the Better Business Bureau. I know from personal experience that they are very sensitive to BBB complaints.

If I understand the first issue, they had a sale in June that went over to July 1. Maybe that happened because it was still June somewhere. I agree that a lot of "sales" can be very misleading and can even be described as deceptive, but I don't think there is anything illegal about them. I don't think this is limited to cruise lines.

"Let the buyer beware".

If I understand the first issue, they had a sale in June that went over to July 1. Maybe that happened because it was still June somewhere. I agree that a lot of "sales" can be very misleading and can even be described as deceptive, but I don't think there is anything illegal about them. I don't think this is limited to cruise lines.

"Let the buyer beware".

The price was the same (more or less on some cruises) for several days. NO cruise had a 30% price increase.

I never care about their "deals" since I know that it doesn't matter what they call it, the price is what it is no matter what. Supply and demand control the price, nothing else.

Now they have a "free" drink and WiFi package deal until 6 August, but they have increased their prices with several houndreds of dollars ...

How is it possible that this is even leagal in the U.S? I'm pretty sure that Royal would get a slap if someone would bring this up to the consumer institute here in Sweden.

I was with you until I saw "Sweden"

They barely slap the hand of violent offenders.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Quite often those 30% offers have fine print that states that the 30% is off the launch price. The "real" price, prior to the sale, may not have been anything like the launch price and may have actually been cheaper than the "sale" price.

Savvy cruisers are aware of these tricks. They are targetting the innocent newbies to cruising. :rolleyes:

Caveat emptor.

Of course cruise lines, like most other players in mass marketing, take advantage of the gullible. Generally you can find out what the whole deal is by doing a little checking/research. What amazes me is the tendency of people to optimistically sign on for something which is obviously too good to be true, and then whine when they find out that it is not true.

I was with you until I saw "Sweden"

They barely slap the hand of violent offenders.

Why don't you tell me about the customer protection laws we have here, since you think that you know them better than I do. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, the misleading practices are common in the USA. Laws favor businesses, not consumers. It is legal. I agree with clarea that Facebook and the Better Business Bureau are the best ways to challenge such sales tactics.

Unfortunately, the misleading practices are common in the USA. Laws favor businesses, not consumers. It is legal. I agree with clarea that Facebook and the Better Business Bureau are the best ways to challenge such sales tactics.

No, the best way to challenge such sales tactics is to resist them. If they do not work, they will not survive.

The problem with trying to outlaw everything which might harm gullible people is determining how far to go--- at some point you have to let people make their own mistakes --- otherwise you wind up removing their right to make ANY decisions.

Its not that difficult to spot a "sharp practice" Once you have decided that a cruise in a certain area costs eg £100 per day not including service charges or drinks packages so £699 for a 7 day cruise then you spot a 7 day cruise with FREE AI and SC included you think Wow!! great until you spot the price is £999.

Things I object to are more subtle like MSC have a Fantastica category so you pay more for that. OK But then you find the upgrade to that in the US is less that the upgrade in the UK and on certain ships in certain places includes 12 vouchers for drinks BUT only if you have booked in the US. I think the US package also includes 3 or 4 excursions and they have also been offered in AUS but not to UK passengers. I think savvy cruisers with time to spare

now have a US agent and even with the poor ££

its worth them losing on the exchange rate for what they can gain in perks.

Without wishing to start yet another squabble thread I think it is time that all cruises should be AI and Prepaid none refundable service charges (tips)

(( except maybe in the case of provable Dire service)) Some lines in the UK have managed to adopt this model and I hope it spreads.

No, the best way to challenge such sales tactics is to resist them. If they do not work, they will not survive.

The problem with trying to outlaw everything which might harm gullible people is determining how far to go--- at some point you have to let people make their own mistakes --- otherwise you wind up removing their right to make ANY decisions.

And always protecting people from themselves will only train them to never think for themselves, always believing that someone else will be protecting them, resulting in them being even more gullible. Being gullible is a learned trait in that being skeptical, the opposite of being gullible, is learned from experience. Being skeptical protects us from being gullible.

It is common and legal because savvy consumers can easily see through this type of sale pitch which leads one to conclude that the system is working as intended. Those who lack common sense or not willing to do some easy research on Google are on their own.

Kim, The is kind of an interesting subject to me from the standpoint of how these things might be handled in different countries. I'm genuinely curious how this works in Sweden. If a company increases prices overall and shortly thereafter offers up a sale on certain items is that considered an illegal business practice in Sweden?

Quite often those 30% offers have fine print that states that the 30% is off the launch price. The "real" price, prior to the sale, may not have been anything like the launch price and may have actually been cheaper than the "sale" price.

Savvy cruisers are aware of these tricks. They are targetting the innocent newbies to cruising. :rolleyes:

Just like the 2-for-1 "sales" from Viking and Crystal.

Aulanis

I respectfully disagree with your desire to have all cruise lines offer all inclusive packages as some UK lines offer.

Not everyone drinks alcoholic beverages, for health, religious or personal preference reasons. Why should those passengers have to subsidize the alcohol consumption of fellow passengers?

Kim

I appreciate your post because it will help to educate less experienced cruisers. As an American, I wish we had the better consumer protection laws that you Europeans enjoy. Keep speaking out when you believe that something is not right. We all will benefit when honorable people point out what they believe to be questionable marketing practices.

rose6

That is fair enough however

Not everyone uses the gym, climbs the wall, plays golf, attends the shows, watches the big screen ondeck movies , swims in the pool or lies in the sun for health or for personal preference reasons.

Why should those passengers have to subsidize fellow passengers?